MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Occupy Don Miller (ODM)

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Occupy Don Miller (ODM)

Postby Scotty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:29 pm

It's between the photo and Blog: Grass Roots heading - Related Documents.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:I am usually pretty good about following links before I comment, but where's the link?

Fair enough. I had to hunt around to find it, a demure little mention in a sidebar.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Just askin': Is Don Miller the only place homeless people could go? There are a lot of empty buildings in Madison. (Princeton House on University Ave. has stood empty for years.) I like the idea that Don Miller is in easy walking distance. I'm not looking for a homeless Hilton, just a decent place. I've never been homeless and I don't know what I'd do all day during the cold months. Why are the homeless being barred from the State Capitol? What's it costing them? The heat is on anyways and the police are near if necessary. Just askin'...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Why are the homeless being barred from the State Capitol? What's it costing them? The heat is on anyways and the police are near if necessary. Just askin'...

The new occupants don't like walking into the cafeteria and seeing "those people."

I'm serious. I can't remember the article but somebody in the capitol staff actually came right out and said that the new crowd in the new administration were uncomfortable with the crowd in there.

I don't know if you know it or not but it's not just the homeless. The public in general has been barred from that area since the beginning of The Troubles. I like to go down there sometimes during my lunch hour. Not to do or eat anything, just walk through it and feel the history. Haven't been able to since March.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 pm

You'd think with the Capitol Police near that would be a comfort to them.

Oh, yeah, they're union...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 pm

In my experience, it's not fear. It's being reminded that they have to share the air with riffraff. They are unaccustomed to interaction with people below their station who aren't servants and haven't been schooled in Overlord/Peasant relations. Therefore they are uncomfortable in a place they're supposed to rule. Therefore, they restrict access wherever they can.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I think they believe the capitol should be sanitized. Sanitized like a country club, no riffraff.

Actually I think they do not regard people in the capitol basement as people at all. I bet they never talk to them, look them in the eye, buy them a cup of coffee, or even acknowledge them on the stairs.

It's creepy.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 002e0.html

Here's a guy who takes the opposite view. I remember meeting him back when he lived in Madison as a student -- he'd taken this personal vow of silence and walked everywhere, and he had a remarkable effect when he entered a room and started listening. I wish some of the Repubs would sign up for the UW course he's teaching now through the Nelson Institute.

--
Regarding the Brad Murphy memo on the homeless warming shelter (which I finally found -- thanks for showing me where to get it), I see the main problem being scheduling. UDC meets about twice a month and it takes 3 weeks to get on its agenda once a design is submitted, so already we see a month delay. Changing the parking lot layout and restriping it seems like BS because the whole entire property is one big parking lot. Perhaps the city will waive this one. And as I noted, I don't get the "new landscape" plan part.

Traffic Engineering, City Engineering, and Zoning all have to approve the plans, as well.

I think the way to get this done is have representatives from all the committees all sit down together and hash it out. This isn't some developer's plan to build something permanent and make a profit, it's a temporary shoestring arrangement for humanitarian purposes. Public safety and safety of occupants need to be protected, but a lot of the requirements for more permanent structures aren't meaningful in this context. Also, almost nobody lives adjacent to the lots in question so we aren't damaging any residential property values or liveability.

I think Madison will come through on this one.

And I too wonder why a vacant dorm (student housing, as mentioned) can't be turned into homeless quarters with appropriate staffing and services on site. You'd think it would save money in the long run.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:22 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:34 pm

I wonder what their landscaping plans are.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe