MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Isthmus on Edgewater

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Isthmus on Edgewater

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:21 pm

The Cap Times actually had TWO Edgewater stories today. Here's the other one: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 002e0.html
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:The Cap Times actually had TWO Edgewater stories today. Here's the other one: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 002e0.html

Two highly slanted propoganda pieces masquarading as analysis, written by same anti-Edgewater activist.

I get a kick out of Stu Levitan's urgent call for a veto. The anti-Edgewater activists have never given a damn about the public will, it is all about imposing their tastes and values.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Huckleby wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:The Cap Times actually had TWO Edgewater stories today. Here's the other one: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 002e0.html

Two highly slanted propoganda pieces masquarading as analysis, written by same anti-Edgewater activist.

I get a kick out of Stu Levitan's urgent call for a veto. The anti-Edgewater activists have never given a damn about the public will, it is all about imposing their tastes and values.

Propaganda pieces huh? Please point out the lies.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

not lies, it's well done propaganda. Deceptions and one-sided presentation.

burnt-out on all things Edgewater, don't want to debate
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Huckleby wrote:I get a kick out of Stu Levitan's urgent call for a veto. The anti-Edgewater activists have never given a damn about the public will, it is all about imposing their tastes and values.

Citation, please. When and where did I make an "urgent call" for a veto?

I can't speak for "anti-Edgewater activists," but my value is upholding the ordinances and policies/procedures adopted by the Common Council and Mayor. (e.g., the Landmarks Ordinance and the TIF policy documents). Sorry you feel otherwise.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Huckleby wrote:not lies, it's well done propaganda. Deceptions and one-sided presentation.

burnt-out on all things Edgewater, don't want to debate

Then close your browser, turn off your computer and go see what's on TV.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 am

Not lies, not deception - straight up facts regarding TIF and ones that many absolutely need to hear. After reading those pieces, no doubt in my mind that a billionaire developer is doing all he can to socialize the risk and privatize the profit. If he's only going to put up a million - and even that is through a limited liability corp :roll: which means he essentially takes no risk - why the hell should the taxpayers be on the hook for the entire risk for this project?

There is an excellent reason to require that developers PERSONALLY put up bucks if they want TIF and this situation perfectly shows why. This guy is already doing everything he can to wiggle off that hook and he is hoping no one notices. This whole Edgewater TIF deal stinks and these developers should take what Soglin is offering and go do their development. Or, do it on their dimes if it's such a great project. Suck it up and do what you keep screaming you want to do as a PRIVATE business - develop the damn thing and leave the taxpayers out of it.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 am

Now Soglin says Edgewater might get the full TIF grant, if Hammes submits the paperwork by the end of the year. Who knows how this will all sort out.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:49 am

bleurose wrote: After reading those pieces, no doubt in my mind

this is a complex issue with strong arguments on both sides. If there is no doubt in your mind, you have just swallowed a one-sided propoganda piece.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:07 am

Stu Levitan wrote:
Huckleby wrote:I get a kick out of Stu Levitan's urgent call for a veto. The anti-Edgewater activists have never given a damn about the public will, it is all about imposing their tastes and values.

Citation, please. When and where did I make an "urgent call" for a veto?

I can't speak for "anti-Edgewater activists," but my value is upholding the ordinances and policies/procedures adopted by the Common Council and Mayor. (e.g., the Landmarks Ordinance and the TIF policy documents). Sorry you feel otherwise.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... 002e0.html

His old friend Levitan predicts Soglin will veto the entire budget if council members defy him and restore the TIF funds. "Let's put it this way," Levitan says. "If there is a $16 million TIF in the 2012 budget for Edgewater we should just put out an all-points bulletin because we will have a mayor missing in action."

You have declared that there is only one rational position that the mayor can take, which is unsurprisingly your position, and the minority position of both the council and public. Evidently, the majority on the council are clueless fools.

Look, I understand you have a strong opinion, which leaads to strong statements. I rebel against the absolutism, and the easy dismissal of majority opinion.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:30 am

You're confusing a strong prediction that the Mayor would veto with an "urgent call to veto". Big difference between saying what I think will happen and what I think should happen. Might want to work on your reading comprehension a bit.

Yes, there is only one position that the Mayor can take if he wants to uphold the TIF policies and procedures the Council had already adopted.

And I strongly disagree with your assertion that a majority of the public favors $16m in TIF. Do you have any meaningful data to support that claim?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

bleurose wrote:After reading those pieces, no doubt in my mind that a billionaire developer is doing all he can to socialize the risk and privatize the profit.

In other words, he's doing his job.

I hope the Hammes development happens, and I hope it's with minimal TIF support. But of course Dunn is going to push for terms most favorable to him.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Again, NOT a propaganda piece, but some facts about what has been happening. Just because you don't want to acknowledge it as factual doesn't then define it as propaganda. What parts about everything that has been happening to get around TIF conditions makes you so comfortable that you think there is absolutely nothing wrong here?

I also have no issue with the developer "doing his job" - I thought his job was to develop projects, I didn't realize that "his job" was to subvert the conditions of gaining a TIF grant. Apparently, you do. If it is such a grand, glorious and every-chance-of-succeeding deal, then he should [i]do his job[i] and go ahead and develop the damn thing, be grateful to get some TIF $$ and quit whining about how much TIF $$ he isn't getting.
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:58 pm

bleurose wrote:- I thought his job was to develop projects, I didn't realize that "his job" was to subvert the conditions of gaining a TIF grant.

I don't think that was Dunn. That was our former mayor, who apparently decided that was HIS job. It wasn't Dunn bullying city staff.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:40 pm

bleurose wrote:I thought his job was to develop projects, I didn't realize that "his job" was to subvert the conditions of gaining a TIF grant. Apparently, you do.

His job is to make money. If he has a shot at a sweet financing deal from the city, it would be irresponsible of him not to push for it.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government