MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
sweet corn sign
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Libya Thing...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Libya Thing...

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 am

Huckleby wrote:I'm not the hall monitor, and too self-absorbed to get worked up by other posters.

Complaining about somebody's attitude and then complaining that you ain't the hall monitor seems a bit contradictory to me.

But I ain't the hall monitor either.

I will admit that Bludgie's an asshole, though. That's not really a complaint. Just an observation.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 am

rabble wrote: Complaining about somebody's attitude and then complaining that you ain't the hall monitor seems a bit contradictory to me.

wasn't complaining about lack of monitor status, was saying I don't pay close attention
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:55 am

rabble wrote: I will admit that Bludgie's an asshole, though. That's not really a complaint. Just an observation.
people who share his point of view, or who have thicker skins, don't find him to be an asshole.

would bludge call another poster an asshole? I see him blithefully doing his thing, spinning posts that annoy many, but not going after anybody in particular.

maybe i'm wrong. even if so, why call somebody an asshole? you wouldn't do it at a bar or coffee shop.

oh, the inhumanity!

i know lectures on civility are pointless

peace & love
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 am

Huckleby wrote:maybe i'm wrong. even if so, why call somebody an asshole? you wouldn't do it at a bar or coffee shop.

oh, the inhumanity!

i know lectures on civility are pointless

peace & love

Now you are the hall monitor.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:18 pm

fair enough, i will wear my sash with dignity.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:55 am

Huckleby wrote:Maybe you just need a hug. Come here, what's troubling you?

Hug this, you apologist for cretins:

Unions bring an ideology from the minority and impose it on the majority, protection for the few at the expense of the many, insulation for the well fed at the expense of everybody else's quality of life which - other than the public sector and private sector unions - is decreasing at the fastest rate ever recorded.

[...]

Maybe there would be even more disaffected Democrats in 2012 if the white house and its congress hadn't used 100% of the peoples' money to pad and secure the futures of the ten percent in the public sector. Better at the very least to have done nothing. 9 out of 10 people got absolutely nothing worthwhile from the stimulus, or even paid out the ass for it.

[...]

Still Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are both richer, both active donors playing the "Penitent Santa Clause" to the public, lonely old billionaires with nothing to lose begging for love and attention, contributing largely to Democrats with money and lip service.

[...]

In my opinion the only practical purpose of any Middle Eastern policy from the U.S. is the protection of Israel

[...]

What is the outrage about the Koch brothers? I find the entire story to be... boring and irrelevent. Its bizarre to me that Democrats are so outspoken and outraged about two minor billionaires whose efforts (and fortunes) are a mere drop in the bucket. Are conservatives supposed to be insulted when Democrats fling slurs against two oil billionaires who could probably care less about this nonsense? Obama's going to be the one who gets the most donations from the Wall Street that Democrats are occupying, many of those donors are richer than the Koch brothers, and even more involved in politics. Who cares about the Koch brothers? Its a ridiculous thing to be so outraged about in the grand scheme of things. By all means insult them all you want, but who exactly is supposed to care about it?

[...]

I'm not going to repeat that Herculean effort again to prove (which I could) the well established fact that the stimulus was a trillion dollar handout to Democrat-friendly groups who are just going to hand part of it back to the president next year so we can pretend to be impressed that he "raises" a billion dollars for his reelection, just so you can forget it all by 2012 (like Democrats have already forgotten since 2009).

No wonder you have such a high estimation of the intelligence level of the current crop of pap-dribblers at the Daily Page; it's clearly your peer group.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't find any of those comments to be unintelligent or without merit. I disagree with them.

Marvell, you and I have very different brains (and I imagine this statement is of great comfort to you :D )

I have a hunch we are of very similar intelligence levels, just totally different ways of thinking. We probably agree on most issues, but that doesn't matter.

I see myself as broadminded, tolerant. you see me as squishy & dumb.
you see yourself as incisive, decisive. I see you as a hothead with a cause

now, how about that hug?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 pm

The Rolling Stones wrote a song with you in mind.

"I'm just sittin' on a fence
You can say I got no sense
Trying to make up my mind
Really is too horrifying
So I'm sittin on a fence"
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:00 pm

just cause I see both sides doesn't mean i don't take positions.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm

Now you sound like Chris Rickert.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't much care for most of Chris Rickert's columns, he takes cheap shots and is sometimes weasely. But the comparison is not completely off. Chris Rickert is a moderate.

Obama is a moderate. Hillary, Joe Lieberman, Bubba, David Brooks, Tom Friedman - these are moderates.

The world needs both zealous advocates and moderate synthesizers, they both have a role in getting things done. Both Malcolm X & Martin Luther King mattered.

but enough about me, what color is your parachute, HV? You seem like a smart, taciturn, straight-line liberal with just the slightest tendency towards the crotchety.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:53 am

Huckleby wrote:... with just the slightest tendency towards the crotchety.

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now you sound like Chris Rickert.

That is one of the meanest things that could be said about somebody.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines