MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Dead tree delivered to White House

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Dead tree delivered to White House

Postby bdog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:02 am

And it's not even a Sicilian message!

I think the White House should get a fake tree.

I think all of us should get fake trees (if'n you feel the need to tree up).

Cutting down healthy trees just to throw them in the garbage a month later is obscene.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dead tree delivered to White House

Postby rabble » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:38 am

When I was a kid n New England we went to my grandparents farm and cut a young pine off the pasture. Those are fun memories. Real Normal Rockwell stuff, dragging a tree over the snow through the woods, glimpsing wildlife off in the trees every now and then. The holidays were as dysfunctional as everybody else's back then but there were some high points.

Course now we get em from christmas tree farms. We usually buy ours from the UW Forestry students. Then the city collects them and chips em up for mulch and gives it away.

It's certainly a labor intensive and expensive tradition these days but I'm not sure how obscene it is. The trees are grown for the purpose, often on land that's unsuitable for other things, and at least in this town they're recycled into something useful and degradable.

I think there's at least one more generation of this whole "live tree" thing to go before it finally goes to artificial trees. I have to admit some of the high end ones really do look like real trees.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 pm

bdog wrote:Cutting down healthy trees just to throw them in the garbage a month later is obscene.

How do you feel about flowers?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 pm

bdog wrote:Cutting down healthy trees just to throw them in the garbage a month later is obscene.

How about tea?

Do I need to feel guilty for a "cuppa"?
bcs89

Postby Igor » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:02 am

bdog wrote:And it's not even a Sicilian message!

I think the White House should get a fake tree.

I think all of us should get fake trees (if'n you feel the need to tree up).

Cutting down healthy trees just to throw them in the garbage a month later is obscene.

Real tree - all natural, all recyclable, local grower. Bad.
Fake tree - lots of plastic, not recyclable, probably not local. Good.

Not sure of your math here - the only way I can see the natural tree as a horrible thing is if it takes much more fuel to ship it than a plastic tree. Given that most natural trees sold here are grown in Wisconsin, that seems unlikely.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:10 am

Good points Igor!

I think the thing that really gets me is you have this tree minding it's own business, then some family sees it and says "Isn't that one beautiful? Let's kill it!"

Carry on.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 pm

I know, I hate to see those big beautiful trees cut down too. But it's part of life up here, like deer hunting, and they both have their good points and genuine purposes. I personally could no sooner shoot a beautiful healthy 12-point buck than I could shoot a person, and I couldn't cut down a gorgeous 35-year old spruce either.

But I've learned just to keep it to myself and hum that "circle of life" song in my head.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Oh! The irony!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:47 am

bdog wrote:[...]

Ned Flanders wrote:[...]

Here's an idea: since bdog and Ned are both Republicans, why don't we let them argue over whether the foron branch of the Junior GOP should be pro-arboricide or anti-christmas?

:wink:
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:05 am

T'was not meant to be a political topic Kurt, but if all you and Ned have are hammers I'm sure it looks like another nail to both of you.

Have at it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 am

bdog wrote:T'was not meant to be a political topic Kurt, but if all you and Ned have are hammers I'm sure it looks like another nail to both of you.

Have at it.

Sorry, I actually think this is an amusing thread, and enjoyed reading all the comments (up to Ned's dumbass "Oh the Irony" one).

My own personal background on this is like rabble's -- growing up in a rural northern area where any fields left alone quickly turned back into forest. Going out into the snowy winter landscape to find, cut, and bring home a tree was one of the more memorable parts of childhood. It's true that the chosen tree had its life cut short, but that's true of most small trees in nature -- they'll be shaded out by faster-growing neighbors, be girdled by porcupines, have their growing tips nibbled by deer, or fall victim to various blights and infections. It ain't easy being a plant; everyone is out to get you.

Post-Christmas, the rapidly-browning tree corpse would get returned to the woods, where its tangled branches would provide a perch for chickadees and jays, as its softer tissues oxidized away to the atmosphere, while the more resistant parts slowly returned to the soil carbon pool, to eventually cycle back into new trees.

In Madison, we usually got our trees from the UW forestry students, as rabble mentioned, during their annual sale at the stock pavilion out on the west end of campus. It's a good cause, so if Madison-based forons are looking for a non-artificial tree, check it out this weekend.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:41 pm

bdog wrote:T'was not meant to be a political topic Kurt, but if all you and Ned have are hammers I'm sure it looks like another nail to both of you.

Have at it.

Can we talk about the Christmas tree tax ?
* its not a tax
* it would have promoted the live tree industry

But its dead now. Thanks, Republicans!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:13 pm

Interesting. They say it would have been like the Got Milk? and Beef it's what for dinner campaigns.

Question is, how do those campaigns get their money? Can't the live tree people do the same thing?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:44 pm

bdog wrote:Interesting. They say it would have been like the Got Milk? and Beef it's what for dinner campaigns.

Question is, how do those campaigns get their money? Can't the live tree people do the same thing?

As far as I understand it ... they get their money exactly the way that this xmas tree promotion program would have gotten its money. The USDA currently oversees promotion programs run by/for the following industries:

* Beef
* Blueberries
* Cotton
* Dairy Products
* Eggs
* Fluid Milk
* Hass Avocados
* Honey Packers and Importers
* Lamb
* Mangos
* Mushrooms
* Peanuts
* Popcorn
* Pork
* Potatoes
* Sorghum
* Soybeans
* Watermelons

Is this a good thing? Who knows. But the point (or one point, anyway) is that there was nothing particularly unique or special about the proposed xmas tree promotional program -- its funding and structure would have been exactly like similar promotions for lots of other products that didn't generate any controversy at all when they were established, starting in 1966.

But we live in partisan times, and what formerly didn't raise any eyebrows now gets turned into yet another turf war.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:49 pm

To clarify, the "Got Milk" campaign is run by a consortium of large milk producers (basically, every company that produces more than X gallons of milk). They vote on how to run it, and they pay for their own activities by charging themselves a fee on each gallon produced. All the USDA does is provide some minimal "oversight".

That was the same approach proposed for the new xmas tree promotion program. Again I'm not advocating for or against it, just explaining how it works.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines