MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Your foron name

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Your foron name

Postby jman111 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:37 pm

So, there was this song by The Toyes....

and, well, sometimes two just ain't enuff (111=>3)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:My first motorcycle was a Ducati.

cool, a real biker chick. Do you have a boyfriend named Carl with a hairy back? Or are you a free spirit on your own who wears leopardskin?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Not that kind of biker chick. Kangaroo leather, carbon fiber, and Kevlar for me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:46 pm

OK, I can work with that.

I am far too big of a sissy to run with you, though. Motorcycles scare me, not afraid of dying, its the pain possibilities I eshew.

I did have a fine gocart as a lad, but ended thrill seeking there.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ralphie w » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Eshew?? Gesundheit!!
ralphie w

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 pm

I see that a diaper daniels posts in the music hype section from time to time. Probably an interesting back story to that name.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I was never a fall-down-in-the-street narcoleptic, but I was getting there. I dozed off everywhere... stoplights, dinner parties, restaurants, bowling, standing up at the bar, foolin around (once). It's not as bad anymore since I stopped bartending. That, or I just grew out of it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Fennel is the seed that sends one's marinara into the stratosphere, and since I came to this forum looking for cooking/restaurant discussions, it seemed a natural handle.
As for other handles:

Gargantua: I expected your son's name would be Pantagruel. And where's the picaresque humor?

rnate: It's not ornate? Damn.

kurt_w: I assumed Kurt Weil.

scratch: I guessed it was a reference to starting over from scratch, or maybe a reference to remix artistry.

Walter: About what I expected, thankfully. ("This Isn't 'Nam, Smokey. This is bowling. There are rules.")

jonnygothispen: I get the "Jonny Goth," but what does the rest mean?

Mean Scenester: Is there a related verb analogous to defenestrate?

Ducatista: Apart from the first motorcycle, are you at liberty to divulge whether you are primarily a biker, or a motorbiker?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Violet is my middle name and paternal grandmother's first name; Skye is a place I would love to visit (Isle of Skye). Together, they make me think of twilight in summer, when the sky is just that color. I've used this name online forever.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 am

When I was in high school I had a band that practiced in a small studio on Main Street in Oshkosh. On the wall was an iconic picture of Humphrey Bogart smoking a filterless cigarette, probably a Lucky Strike. The bass player, rather stoned himself, commented one day about how Bogart was getting stoned and the band name was born, "Stoned Bogart," an obvious reference to the song "Don't Bogart That Joint."

My initials actually are PJB, so I became "pjbogart" as a stage name. I've always printed it as one word and all lower case in tribute to cummings. People often assume I'm a bit of a pothead because of my name, but in reality I haven't gotten high since the late 1990's. I've been drunk a few times though.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 am

My full internet handle is a combination of my father's father's father's first name (massimo), and my mother's father's father's last name (verucchi).

My guess is that Ducatista would identify neither as biker nor motorbiker, but rider. Well, that's what *I* call myself anyway.

Do people really not see that it's Johnny Got His Pen, like a variation on Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun? Not necessarily picking on you, Fennel, but I've seen confusion in the past...
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 am

fennel: massimo is exactly right. I'd say rider. If asked to be more specific, I'd say sportbike rider.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 am

massimo wrote:Do people really not see that it's Johnny Got His Pen...
Right. It just struck me as too clunky to parse, so I defaulted to a variation that made more sense to me. For the same reason, I rewrite a lot of song lyrics.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 am

depinmad

short for depressed in madison
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:32 pm

I like cartoons. Snoopy, Mutts by Patrick McDonnell, mostly cartoons with animals, the more simple and silly the rendering the better.

The project I was working on when I joined the forum was
about cartoons and autobiography. I was fascinated by Maus
by art spiegelman and his use of animals in autobiography.
Not the silly stuff I was used to for sure! Other than straight-up autobiography in written form, I find all other forms intriguing: poetry, music, the visual arts.

Then I thought, what kind of mouse would I be? I thought of the fable of the country mouse and city mouse, and I would be a
combo of the two. I lived in cities (neighborhoods, more specifically) growing up and would not exchange that for anything. Now as a middle-age adult, I love living in the country; I need the calm quietness.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com