MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Tonight my husband made grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner made with my home made whole grain bread, shredded cheddar jack cheese, paper-thin slices of red sweet onion, and real salt-free butter on the bread for browning. Definitely not low calorie but boy was it great. Served with his hot home made tomato soup and pickles. The cheese was melted and creamy and the onion added just the right snap. I still fondly remember Mom's Velveeta cheese grilled sandwiches but my husbands adult version is wonderful. He also does another version that includes a slice of fresh tomato. I'd be interested in how other Foron's make their grilled cheese sandwiches? A good grilled cheese sandwich has got to be in the top 10 comfort foods.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Best I ever had was at the Harmony: Gonella bread, tomato, raw onion and cheese, yum, pickle slices, all washed down with a nice dark beer.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh yes. The dark beer definitely would enhance a good grilled cheese sandwich meal. Good addition!!

My husband likes switching out the cheeses for different flavors. Now that I think of it, he's made a swiss cheese grilled sandwich with a thin slice of ham and a touch of honey mustard. Love a man who can cook!!

:) Oh okay, I'd probably love him even if he burned water but what a bonus that he's a good cook!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 pm

White bread and melty cheese—Crystal Farms American Slices are the house favorite—fried in a little butter.

Every deviation is a step away from perfection.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kweetech » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

best grilled cheese is on a good white bread (loaves of Breadsmith rustic Italian, or french peasant come to mind)..with either fresh cheddar (think cheese curds as cheese brick) or real longhorn colby. Plenty of butter.
The best was longhorn colby on soy bread from ken's bakery in two rivers.
Hands down..no contest.
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Okay, so the Crystal Farms cheese slices DO make a good grilled cheese very similar to Velvetta. Not to mention they're easy to prepare and melt very nicely. Can't say a thing about wonder bread which I can't stand--French and Italian Bread make great ingredients to a grilled cheese sandwich. Do any of you use real cheese or the shredded cheese?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 am

I use my (delicious!) bread from the bread machine (see here if you want details). It's about 60-40 white/whole-wheat flour, a nice balance.

For cheese, I use a sharp white cheddar, like Cabot.

Before grilling, I put some kind of spicy brown mustard on the bread, lay down the cheese layer, then add a generous serving of sauerkraut.

Something about the onset of winter makes a grilled cheese sandwich sound even more appealing.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

I had a grilled cheese from Moe's on State Street that had thin slices of Granny Smith apples in the sandwich. I really liked the way those played against the sharpness of the cheese.

I once got a grilled cheese at the Old Fashioned and added braunschweiger to the bacon that already came with it. It probably took a year off my life but it was worth it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Lily wrote:Can't say a thing about wonder bread which I can't stand--

Blech, me neither. Homemade or good bakery white is best, but better bread-aisle whites work just fine.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 pm

To me, you have two different kinds of grilled cheeses - the squishy bread with dayglo cheese kind (which are, like Twinkies, something you just get a craving for on occasion, but never taste as good as you remember) and then these works of art: http://grilledcheeseacademy.com/

nom, nom, nom
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 pm

OMG. :D What a fantastic web site. Grilled Cheese Academy?? Who knew? Thanks for sharing!! Excuse me while I wipe my mouth with my bib from drooling...

nom nom nom indeed!!!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues