MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison - social dud for over 40's ?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison - social dud for over 40's ?

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I also think a lot of older folks just get pickier, scared, cynical and set in their ways.

The ones that are cynical are boring, and the scared ones not much better. Many are picky and set in ways, which is not so terrible.

What I notice in this thread is everybody seems focused on dating/mating as goal of social life. Coupling all too often leads to less social life. I guess that is human nature, but I wish people were driven more by friendships than mating.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Can we assume this was all BEFORE he was your brother-in-law?

"Brother in law" is a bit ambiguous in English. I'm hoping this is Bwis's spouse's brother, rather than Bwis's sibling's husband.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby exPatBearla » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Huckleby wrote:
exPatBearla wrote: I'm in the happily married category and not in Madison. In fact, now that I've left I look back on the city quite fondly and especially miss the bars I frequented, the coffee shops, the occasionally good live music, and especially my friends, both old and new. It's an easy place to make friends, in my experience.

Where I live now, life is more regimented, everybody works all the time and no one has time to socialize unless it's scheduled ahead of time. Most socializing is done at home and not in cafe's or bars so there are very few of these except in the city center.

Before we can enter your testimony into the records, we will require some additional data: how old were you when you were living the good life in Madtown? Mind mention your current area?
regards, accounting

Mid 30's to mid 40's and I wasn't in Madison for the dating. Currently in the Eastern EU, as you can see, and capitalism here is still pretty new. No recession here yet. No €uro either. 8)
exPatBearla

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:08 pm

wow, I would have thought E. Europe would be more communal. You described American suburbia
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 pm

kurt_w wrote:Maybe it's just me, but this thread has "impending doom" written all over it.

There's no reason why folks shouldn't be able to talk about the challenges facing single people in Madison. But leaving the keys to the thread where MadMind can find them probably isn't a good idea.

:lol: I'm willing to admit that you have a point there and will secede from this thread, since it looks like I'm just retreading old ground and am not in the 40 or over category, anyways.
But seriously, thanks for linking back to that thread. I got some chuckles out of re-reading it!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 pm

kurt_w wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Can we assume this was all BEFORE he was your brother-in-law?

"Brother in law" is a bit ambiguous in English. I'm hoping this is Bwis's spouse's brother, rather than Bwis's sibling's husband.

Yes, my husband's brother. We chuckled at all the girlfriends he went through. Actually, they all seemed perfectly nice.

I thought Huck was ambiguous about having friends of the opposite sex. At least by the response others got the same impression. I have plenty of men and women friends. Some ethnic groups rely on associations to meet people. I know that's worked for the generation above me.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe