MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 pm

By his own Twitter feed, and as reported by former Isthmus writer Adam Powell on his Twitter feed, David Blaska is no longer writing for Isthmus. He said so on Vicki McKenna's show, where the words "free speech" were bandied about--and never once in an appropriate context.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Won't have David Blaska to kick around anymore

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Well, that's unfortunate. But, please, please tell us that you're still writing restaurant reviews Bookie!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Why? You don't care.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm not complaining, but I'm a little puzzled. He figures if he don't have a blog here, he ain't gonna post anything?

That's kind of a twofer. Isthmus loses a freakin nut case conservative with sloppy journalism skills, and we lose a troll.

So who's gonna replace him? Althouse? Meade? Altmeade?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:31 pm

He doesn't say much on his Twitter feed, which is here:

http://twitter.com/MrBluster9

Apparently Dec 2 was the day -- last Friday.

If McKenna's shows are archived, I can't find them.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Since I made a point of never giving him any clicks, I can truthfully say I won't miss him at all.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 pm

The McKenna segment with David is here. His interview starts at about 18:45.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Grubendol » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Blaska's appearance on Vicki's show this afternoon was rip-roaringly laughable. It was filled with the expected whining about "liberal media" and Madison's so-called hatred of free speech, which Wingnut Nation interprets to mean that they should be not be criticized by their political opponents and get to say whatever they want without consequence in the warm embrace of private media companies.

Even better was the way both of them conflated the forum with the Isthmus as a whole, citing banter and bullshit here as the ordained word of the paper as a whole. Get that, Forons? You are the Isthmus, at least in the alcohol and painkiller-addled fantasies of Blaska and Vicki and their butt-sniffing mob of drooling retiree and virgin fans.

The best moment was when Vicki shouted "This town needs an enema!" in a completely serious and non-ironic manner. After doing so, she blurted out an -er and paused, apparently coming to the realization that using the quote seriously really does fit her baleful image and snarling mien, complete with a permanent rictus grimace and a ganache-layer of clown make-up.

Yes Vicki, you are the Joker. Pretty much everybody in your listener area who is capable of rational thought already knows this, it's not news. That you are maybe, just maybe self-aware enough to realize that about yourself is, though.

Now, does this make Blaska the Penguin?
Grubendol

Postby bdog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:By his own Twitter feed, and as reported by former Isthmus writer Adam Powell on his Twitter feed, David Blaska is no longer writing for Isthmus. He said so on Vicki McKenna's show, where the words "free speech" were bandied about--and never once in an appropriate context.

You were the first one to ever comment on his blog and now you announce he's gone.

Sorry for your loss Book.
bluethedog wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Next week I get to eat the asshole out of a pig.

I figured TDP would get you and Blaska together sooner or later.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:The McKenna segment with David is here. His interview starts at about 18:45.

God, that's awful. I hadn't ever tried to listen to her at length before.

To David's credit, McKenna makes him sound like the rational one.

I don't see why he can't start a new blog somewhere else. Everybody and their brother's got a blog.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

snoqueen wrote:I don't see why he can't start a new blog somewhere else. Everybody and their brother's got a blog.

That reminds me. Today I noticed when I went to create a new Word document, one of the choices for type of document was "Blog entry." I was curious enough to click on it.

Fer chrissake. First it asks you for your blog login info, and if I had actually had a blog, I think it would have uploaded it for me.

Yup. Everybody's got a blog but me. And Blaska.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 am

rabble wrote:That's kind of a twofer. Isthmus loses a freakin nut case conservative with sloppy journalism skills, and we lose a troll.

In what sense is Blaska a troll? What is difference between gadfly & troll?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:22 am

It was filled with the expected whining about "liberal media" and Madison's so-called hatred of free speech, which Wingnut Nation interprets to mean that they should be not be criticized by their political opponents and get to say whatever they want without consequence in the warm embrace of private media companies.

It's like the Dr. Laura thing. To these clowns free speech means the right to a job broadcasting. Blaska's free speech can live on at another outlet or his very own Wordpress site. I hope Isthmus takes their time and hires a thoughtful conservative voice and not another wanna be shock jock.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 am

Huckleby wrote:
rabble wrote:That's kind of a twofer. Isthmus loses a freakin nut case conservative with sloppy journalism skills, and we lose a troll.

In what sense is Blaska a troll? What is difference between gadfly & troll?

A troll's purpose is to turn threads into such a cacophony of noise and argument that discussion effectively ends.

If your opinion is that Blaska doesn't do that, then in your reality he's not a troll.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:00 am

Surely Blaska and each of his 85 Twitter followers are incensed that their silent majority has been...uh...silenced.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com