MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Mythbusters cannonball run.

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

The Mythbusters cannonball run.

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

For those who haven't heard yet, the mythbusters crew accidentally sent a ten inch cannonball through a cinder block wall, then it skipped off the hill that was supposed to stop it, pingponged around a house a few times, then sailed across what looks like a six lane street, clipped a house roof, and smashed into somebody's SUV. Where it stopped. Nobody hurt.

The show is suspended pending a full investigation. Nobody seems to be saying just which mythbusters were there at the bomb range.

I like those guys but I think the universe is telling them it's time to move on.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Mythbusters cannonball run.

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 am

Not sure of what the layout of the range where they were shooting the thing. But I know they have done stuff at an abandoned Air Force base or airport before. It would seem like that might provide a little more room for error.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:50 am

Hey, thanks for the link to that video. I'd read a brief text description but not seen the footage.

It's a bit hard to understand the way that thing ricocheted around inside the first house. I'd really like to see a map of the layout of the house with the cannonball's path.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 am

Turns out it was Tory, Kari, and Grant who were running that particular experiment. I read in another article that Adam had said he believed the cannon was aimed too high which makes sense since it skipped off the hill that was supposed to stop it.

That's probably the difference between a bomb range and an artillery range.

Looks like they plan to air the segment sometime in the spring. After they finish reading the riot act to the crew. And revamping the bomb range's rules of conduct. There's probably a certain LEO who's getting re-educated too.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV