MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

2011 Green Bay Packers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

2011 Green Bay Packers

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Oooohhhhh yeahhhhhh.

Nice timing for the bye week. Eventually the Packers will lose a game - two weeks from now in San Diego looks pretty tough, but that Thanksgiving game against Detroit's looking like a real doozy.

Did anyone else catch the resounding cry of 'Kuuuuuuuuuhn!' during yesterday's game? It was louder than any cheering for the Vikings.

Poor Minnesota. My heart bleeds for them.

Note: so I got a little ahead of myself. But fisticuffs' point is an excellent one.

Packer haters - it's gonna be a looong season for ya.
Last edited by Marvell on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2012 Green Bay Packers

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:10 pm

This thread will be great in 2012 when we're celebrating a second consecutive Super Bowl victory.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2011 Green Bay Packers

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 pm

SD isn't looking so tough after Sunday's game against the Jets. Rivers might be a decent QB, but he is consistently ineffective during crunch time. He was looking around like he had another down left after throwing the ball away on 4th down at the end of the game. They're done. Ryan Matthews is a pussy and Antonio Gates will be playing half games for the rest of the year (those type of foot injuries never go away easily). You're not going to win the SuperBowl with Mike Tolbert.

Let's hope the Pack decides to try and run the table. Everything is set up for it, they will likely be double digit favorites the rest of the way through to the playoffs. Detroit has been exposed, and Chicago and Minnesota in GB will be laughers.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 pm

The Dump's always half Packer fans even when the Queens are decent.

Although I'm happy with the win, the D needs to get heathly and stout for downhill run and playoffs. If not, it'll bite them in the ass at some point.

Loved the power running to finish off the game. Starks is a stud.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Almost makes me wonder why the Packers aren't 16-0 every year. Maybe they should just cancel the rest of the season. How could anything possibly go wrong at this late date (after the 7th game of a 16 game season)? No reason to play out the string.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm

scratch wrote:Almost makes me wonder why the Packers aren't 16-0 every year. Maybe they should just cancel the rest of the season. How could anything possibly go wrong at this late date (after the 7th game of a 16 game season)? No reason to play out the string.

Yes there is! Why would any Packer fan want to miss any of the numerous opportunities we'll have to lord it over all the Bear and Viking fans in our midst?

But realistically, they do need to shore up the defense, Rogers could get hurt....too many things can happen to assume that 16-0 is in the bank.

I'm just enjoyin' the ride.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I think the Packers look like they're coasting on occasion and that has me a little worried. Maybe a loss wouldn't be such a bad thing to remind them that they have to give it 100% every game. Better to learn that lesson now than in the playoffs.

I can also finally say this without any doubt in my mind... Aaron Rodgers is a better quarterback than Brett Favre ever was. That's not to say that he'll be around long enough to break any of Favre's records, but game to game he looks like about as good a quarterback as I've ever seen. His completion percentages, his TD/INT ratio, his fleet scrambling ability. I guess if you had to pick a quarterback for an entire season you might opt for Favre knowing that he'll play every game, but if I'm picking for just one game, I'd take Aaron Rodgers every time. The man is a monster.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:12 pm

I think Rodgers is awesome too, The one and only thing that bothers me is that it looks to me like he takes too many unnecessary sacks when he could just throw the ball away.

It's happened enough to make me wonder if he'd rather take a sack than have an incompletion count against his completion percentage and quarterback rating. He's admitted that he's responsible for some of the sacks. Not giving up on a play is admirable and all that, but dude needs to look at the big picture and stay healthy.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 pm

gargantua wrote:I think Rodgers is awesome too, The one and only thing that bothers me is that it looks to me like he takes too many unnecessary sacks when he could just throw the ball away.

In a far distant time, that was a criticism of Bart Starr, too. He worked out okay, though, and didn't have anywhere near Rodgers' arm strength.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:29 am

Well, that was it. I'm willing to finally utter the word "undefeated" in a sentence involving the Green Bay Packers. People have been bringing up that jinx-y word way too often (and way too early in the season) but it's time to roll out the big guns. The Giants were the last and most credible threat to the Packers going undefeated and while the Giants offered up a great effort, ultimately Green Bay walked away with the win and can honestly be predicted as undefeated this year, at least in the regular season. Green Bay has three of its last four games at home (that's right, they're 7-0 on the road) and their final road trip is to the hapless Kansas City Chiefs, a team so bad that their only path to victory is to hold their opponent to a single field goal.

Green Bay's final home games will be against a sunny California team that somehow got blown out by a terrible Miami team today, and two conference rivals who are either banged up or simply disintegrating down the stretch. Green Bay's final four games may be the easiest stretch of their entire season, and given that they're currently 12-0, it's hard to assume they'll drop one now.

In a way, I think being undefeated is a bad thing, though. Dropping a few games is how you keep your players grounded. If they know they can lose, they have an easier time motivating themselves for a tough game. If they feel invincible they end up on the wrong end of an upset. Better to lose that game in the regular season than the playoffs, so perhaps going undefeated in the regular season isn't such a good thing.

But it is what it is. Green Bay's remaining four opponents do not look like teams that can derail Green Bay's undefeated season. Let's hope the players remain focused enough to keep that streak alive in the playoffs.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong (like I'd have to ask here), but I recently read that the NFL record winning streak is 21 games. If so, I think we'd break it by beating da Bears.

Merry Christmas!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 pm

gargantua wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (like I'd have to ask here), but I recently read that the NFL record winning streak is 21 games. If so, I think we'd break it by beating da Bears.

Merry Christmas!

Sure am glad I've got tix to that game.

I'd better start working on my sign:
"All I want for Christmas is a record NFL winning streak."
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:42 pm

If someone ruthless were coaching against the Packers, could they have their 3rd string defensive linemen & linebackers start the game and crush Aaron Rodgers on every play? The 3rd stringers could get the 'honor' of being starters because the plan would be for most of them to get ejected before the end of the first quarter.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:56 am

supaunknown wrote:If someone ruthless were coaching against the Packers, could they have their 3rd string defensive linemen & linebackers start the game and crush Aaron Rodgers on every play? The 3rd stringers could get the 'honor' of being starters because the plan would be for most of them to get ejected before the end of the first quarter.

Not trying to nitpick, but most pro teams only have a second string.

The problem with doing something like that is the payback. Injuring Aaron Rodgers on a series of dirty hits would result in *lots* of payback for many years. Plus, if the first hit was obvious, a bench clearing brawl would probably ensue. And not the stupid kind of brawl, where a guy punches someone else in the helmet and breaks his hand.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:31 am

gargantua wrote:I think we'd break it by beating da Bears

You think "we'd" do it? Who are you, B.J. Raji?

Just another small difference between extra chromosone set Packer backers and the sentient world.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking