MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

cussin'

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The amount of cursing on TDPF is...

Too much
4
17%
About right
12
52%
Not enough
7
30%
 
Total votes : 23

Re: cussin'

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:11 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The grizzly details:


Dammit, Huck, you're doing that just to piss me off.

You could of said something sooner, but its no reason to loose your temper.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6473
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Any more of that and I'm going to start cussin'.

Which would at least be on-topic for the thread.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Mae West was a marvel. When I was a teenager I had a book of her "wit and wisdom" and commited many of the better double entendres to memory. I loved the way she never needed a man to "save" her or give her life meaning. She gave herself meaning and they could come along for the ride as long as they amused her.

As Mae herself said "I believe in censorship. I made a fortune out of it."
In any case, here is a bit more on the Code and Mae in the next film after She Done Him Wrong, an excerpt:
http://www.nndb.com/people/828/000031735/
West's next film, I'm No Angel, was also a big hit with moviegoers. But her empowered sexuality and ribald wit, that so entranced movie goers, incensed religious leaders and moralists. The Catholic Church in particular launched a campaign to put an end to the "filth" churned out by West, and to an extent, by the studios in general. By July of 1934 Hollywood was being squeezed toward more exact compliance with the strict Motion Picture Production Code. Since West was not one to give in easily and she managed for a while to pull a clever bait and switch with the censors. She laded scripts with obvious material for them to cut, while slipping in more subtle elements they would overlook. Most famous of these were her sly double entendres, lines she rolled out with such droll understatement that fans were never quite sure what was a straight line and what was intentional innuendo.

But censors could not be duped indefinitely, not with more clever moralists writing them outraged letters. And so West found her work in Hollywood more and more constrained. She churned out several more films, including My Little Chickadee, in which she starred alongside nemesis W. C. Fields (1940). But 1943's The Heat's On proved to be her last offering, until her film rebirth in the 1970s.


Personally I do not swear. I have no problems with others swearing as long as they don't use cruel slurs, but it just isn't natural for me. But when I do say something unexpectedly foul, it's all the more shocking!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Shangri-La

Re: cussin'

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm

Comrade wrote:
Marvell wrote:
Comrade wrote:It does show a lower caliber of individual and a lack of depth of thought.


Like fucking hell it does, you pathetic milquetoast.

I'll take the 'individual caliber' and 'depth of thought' of Richard Pryor, Henry Miller and Hunter S. Thompson (to just point out the obvious examples) over yours, Comrade, any day of the week.

And depriving your kids of the chance to learn the art of the well-deployed 'fuck' is to cheapen their cultural heritage and rob them of one of the true joys of life. Your wife should tell your prim, prissy ass to just fuck off already.

While your attempt to drag me down into the sewer with you is amusing, it isn't tempting. Not going down there, but I do appreciate that you made my case for me and no further elaboration is necessary.


Right back at you, you self-righteous blowhard.

I mean, seriously? 'Drag you down into the sewer with me,' by asserting that no emotionally-functional adult should be threatened by a word that wasn't too objectionable for Geoffrey Chaucer?

'Cause you know what an intellectual and moral cesspool The Canterbury Tales are.

I'm sorry for your kids, but I'm sure they'll rise above your attempts to intellectually stunt them. After all, despite your best attempts to bowlderize reality for them it will continue to intrude.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: cussin'

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm attempting to intellectually stunt my daughter by not teaching her enough four-letter words?

:?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 pm

kurt_w wrote:
Huckleby wrote:The grizzly details:


Dammit, Huck, you're doing that just to piss me off.

ya, that was a mess up on my part. All my learning comes from TV, so aye have my shortcomings with written word.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: cussin'

Postby Marvell » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:44 pm

kurt_w wrote:I'm attempting to intellectually stunt my daughter by not teaching her enough four-letter words?


By trying to blinker her from reality? Pretty much.

Reality's still going to be out there. I would think as a parent you'd be more interested in making sure she's got the ethical base and judgment to engage with reality in all its...you know...reality than expending the energy in a vain and counterproductive attempt to make her think the whole world is some kind of big fucking Knott's Berry Farm.

But what the hell do I know? I don't have any kids, so maybe I'm totally off base.

I do know this, however; the sanitized bourgeois values being trumpeted as somehow superior to mine have resulted in world that's totally okay with rampant wealth inequality, mind boggling insensitivity to the suffering of the poor, and almost universal denial of looming economic and environmental collapse.

To me, that's obscene. Not the fucking word 'fucking.'
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Re: cussin'

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Marvell wrote:I don't have any kids


there is a God
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: cussin'

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Marvell wrote:I don't have any kids


there is a God

Reminds me of what Freud once said: childhood cancer was proof there was no benevolent God.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20158
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: cussin'

Postby jman111 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:14 pm

Huckleby wrote:there is a God

Link, please.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County

Re: cussin'

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:23 pm

jman111 wrote:
Huckleby wrote:there is a God

Link, please.

How's this?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby Huckleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't want to hear a sour word about Newt until he locks up the nomination.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: cussin'

Postby Madsci » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm

kurt_w wrote:I'm attempting to intellectually stunt my daughter by not teaching her enough four-letter words?

:?

A coworker told me the shock he had when his sweet little 3 year old daughter came home from day care one and called him a fuck face. They do learn them sooner or later.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Huckleby wrote:Oh my, my, Herr Professor. It seems that RFO (and me) are correct. "She Done Him Wrong" comes from stage play by Mae West, and was drastically tamed for screen due to production code. Perhaps code was not widely enforced until '34, but the heat was on this racy play.


Just to be clear: "Pre-Code" is a well-defined term. It refers to anything prior to mid-1934 when certificates of approval issued by the Production Code Administration became mandatory. She Done Him Wrong is 100%, absolutely without any doubt, a Pre-Code film.

Yes, The Hays Office attempted to exert their influence (and this held up production) but nothing in your link supports your theory that West was funnier because she was being censored. What the Hays Office found objectionable had little to do with West's jokes, with the notable exception of some ribald lyrics. Unfortunately, they didn't get around to objecting to those until after the movie was already released. Now, I've never seen or read Diamond Lil so there's no way I'm just going to take anyone's word for it that it was less funny because it was too dirty for the silver screen (or do you want to argue that the film is automatically funnier simply because it never mentions prostitution?) Show me a script. Otherwise, the only reasonable thing to base an opinion on is the evidence at hand, i.e. her films, and that evidence shows that Mae West was funniest in her precode films (and she only has 3: Night After Night, She Done Him Wrong, and I'm No Angel) before the Production Code prohibited her from doing what she did best.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 9020
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:35 pm

Re: cussin'

Postby Huckleby » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Just to be clear: "Pre-Code" is a well-defined term. It refers to anything prior to mid-1934 when certificates of approval issued by the Production Code Administration became mandatory. She Done Him Wrong is 100%, absolutely without any doubt, a Pre-Code film.


OK, fair enough. But as you see in the link, this particular film was censored by Hayes office under terms of the code, so your point is academic.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Yes, The Hays Office attempted to exert their influence (and this held up production) but nothing in your link supports your theory that West was funnier because she was being censored.
Its not my theory. Robert Osborne stated it in regard to this film, and he sourced West herself.


Prof. Wagstaff wrote: that evidence shows that Mae West was funniest in her precode films (and she only has 3: Night After Night, She Done Him Wrong, and I'm No Angel) before the Production Code prohibited her from doing what she did best.

I don't know enough about her work to comment. Certainly your argument makes sense. I don't remember the early movies being racy, or the late ones being any tamer. And it is hard to believe that Robert Osborne is misinformed. So I will just exit with a question mark in my head..
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7021
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar