MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

WSJ's misleading headlines...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: WSJ's misleading headlines...

Postby DCB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Here's one for the Orwell files:
"Cities take hands-off approach" is the headline for a front-page AP story from last Saturday.

That headline is directly contradicted in the first paragraph:
"more US cities are resorting to force to break up the Wall Street protests"

and the story goes on to describe the vicious attack in Oakland that sent Scott Olsen to the hospital.

So, not really "hands-off".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 am

DCB wrote:Here's one for the Orwell files:
"Cities take hands-off approach" is the headline for a front-page AP story from last Saturday.

That headline is directly contradicted in the first paragraph:
"more US cities are resorting to force to break up the Wall Street protests"

and the story goes on to describe the vicious attack in Oakland that sent Scott Olsen to the hospital.

So, not really "hands-off".

It would be worth a chuckle if it wasn't so sad. Maybe there's just not enough headline space to say "Cities take hands off approach except for the ones that don't"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:04 pm

more of the same. I realize they are just reprinting an AP story, but its pretty clueless.

Today's WSJ:
Occupy LA stands out for camp-city cooperation
Occupy LA, a 485-tent camp surrounding City Hall, has marched to a different beat in its drum circle after protesters, police and city officials established a relationship based on dialogues instead of dictates.

Today's LA Times:
Villaraigosa announces impending shutdown of Occupy L.A. camp
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm

WSJ endorsed Joseph McCarthy, twice, and often quoted Westbrook Pegler, also quoted by Sarah Palin in her nomination speech...

Here's what RFK Jr. said about that...
”Fascist writer Westbrook Pegler, an avowed racist who Sarah Palin approvingly quoted in her acceptance speech who expressed his fervent hope about my father, Robert F. Kennedy, as he contemplated his own run for the presidency in 1965, that "some white patriot of the Southern tier will spatter his spoonful of brains in public premises before the snow flies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_ ... e_McCarthy
During the 1950s under editor Roy L. Matson, the State Journal initially took a skeptical view of accusations made by Wisconsin Senator Joe McCarthy of communist infiltration of the U.S. State Department. However, as the controversy grew, the paper ran editorials strongly supporting his crusade, often printed next to opinions written by syndicated anti-communist Westbrook Pegler. When McCarthy's reputation began to fall apart, the paper would neither condemn nor defend him, choosing to let the senator collapse of his own accord. McCarthy later wrote Matson "I have been both surprised and disturbed by your sudden and apparent all-out opposition to me. I cannot understand this."

And now Walker, Ron Johnson, and Tammy Baldwin's opponent, whoever it was... Not that much has changed, really.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kashka-Kat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 pm

I dunno, are there laws against criminal incitement?

Today's misleading headline: "Suspicious signatures, with proper dates and locations, will be counted."

Missing was the crucial phrase: "Unless challenged by the republican party "

The article goes on to say that the GAB will check addresses but won't do a damm thing about all those fake Minne Mouse and Adolf Hitler signatures that are bound to be in those petitions! It neglects to mention that the process as written in the law gives the responsibility for reviewing and challenging signatures to the party being recalled, ie republicans.

So then you get the TPs screaming in the comment section about how they're going to review every single one - apparently not aware that that is how the process is supposed to work and that's exactly what they're supposed to do.
Last edited by Kashka-Kat on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kashka-Kat

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:33 pm

And checking every name was exactly what the Democrats did in the senate recalls. Whole pages were fake, and one recall failed to get the required signatures due to challenges.

The Republicans will need to exercise the same diligence.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 am

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:01 am

bdog wrote:They are:

http://verifytherecall.com/

"We have all been hearing reports of duplicate signatures, questionable practices, and downright fraud in the gubernatorial recall effort."

FRAUD!!!

This is pretty damn funny:

"If you receive a message that states "Cannot submit form with filling out a hidden field," please try back in a day or two. Our technical staff is working to resolve the issue."
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 am

Kashka-Kat wrote:I dunno, are there laws against criminal incitement?

Today's misleading headline: "Suspicious signatures, with proper dates and locations, will be counted."

Missing was the crucial phrase: "Unless challenged by the republican party "

The article goes on to say that the GAB will check addresses but won't do a damm thing about all those fake Minne Mouse and Hitler...
While the article "ACLU sues over voter ID law" is on page 3 on the same day re: violations of the Constitution and the fundamental right to vote, maybe not a big problem, but distorting the recall petitions and everything about them is a #1 priority, and a page 1 headline. These people are not cool.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:48 am

http://verifytherecall.com/

What a bunch of junk.

Scroll to the bottom, read paragraph on right where it has links for something called "We the People of the Republic" and click the link. Watch your status bar. The site's actual name is "danecountyteaparty.org." Who's Ross Brown, nicely pictured on the linked page? I'm sure we'll see that name again. And again.

The second link, which goes to something called Wisconsin Grandsons of Liberty (where are the daughters?) contains several paragraphs of sheer gibberish. If you can sort out what he's saying about people named Taylor, be my guest.

Someone (Ross Brown, I suppose) just threw these pages together overnight. The Republicans have every right to verify and challenge signatures but this isn't gonna do it. You need a grass-roots organization that can bring out the volunteers, not some guy in his basement fiddling with Page Mill.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Kashka-Kat wrote:So then you get the TPs screaming in the comment section about how they're going to review every single one - apparently not aware that that is how the process is supposed to work and that's exactly what they're supposed to do.

Next: will millions of Democrat androids steal the next election?

The GAB has confirmed that they have no plans to verify that all so-called 'voters' are not in fact androids created by George Soros in his secret lair. In fact, the GAB was not even aware of Voigt-Kampff machines!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 pm

DCB wrote:The GAB

About that:

State Rep. Jeff Fitzgerald (R-Horicon), the top GOP lawmaker in the state Assembly, said the state might need to replace its elections and ethics agency, saying it has strayed from its nonpartisan mission.

The state Government Accountability Board was created in 2007 to replace the state ethics and elections board after the elections agency was criticized by Republicans for favoring Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle in his 2006 re-election campaign. The accountability board, which was approved by wide bipartisan margins in the Legislature and signed into law by Doyle, is overseen by a panel of six former judges.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 69843.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:49 pm

snoqueen wrote: Who's Ross Brown, nicely pictured on the linked page? I'm sure we'll see that name again. And again.

Oh, he's been around since the first occupation in March. I remember this website from back then. He's been on Vicki's show several times and he spoke at that cute little tea party rally at the capitol.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 pm

snoqueen wrote:http://verifytherecall.com/

You need a grass-roots organization that can bring out the volunteers, not some guy in his basement fiddling with Page Mill.

Geez Sno, all that looking around and you missed the most important part:

"Empowered by True the Vote 2012"

This is more than some guy in his basement.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Yet, I bet he is fiddling with something. I can't bet $10,000. That is almost what I brought home last year.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government