MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Where will Prince Fielder end up?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Well?

Cubs
29%
Mariners
14%
Nationals
14%
Cardinals
14%
Yankees
14%
Brewers
14%
in Scott Boras' office firing the jerk in February
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: Where will Prince Fielder end up?

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 am

If Seattle wants to contend with the Rangers and Angels anytime in the next five years, I think they have no choice but to sign Fielder.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:19 pm

10 years / $250+mil for Pujols seems pretty outrageous even by today's lofty standards. Consider this, for math's sake:
Just based on 162 regular season games over a 10 year span, that's $154,320 per game. The new Angel Stadium holds 45,050. If all the home games sell out, that's $6.85 from each ticket going to pay Pujols.
It's gonna be fun for a couple years, but the Angel organization and their fans are going to start feeling saddled with this guy after awhile.

At least now the focus can turn to Prince.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

scratch wrote:
wack wack wrote:Anywhere but Chicago, please. PLEASE!!! I'd rather see the Cubs endure another century of futility than see Fielder in a Cubs uniform.

But the Cubs' pinstripes would provide a slimming look for the portly vegetarian slugger.

Maybe he stays with the Brewers, and Melvin signs Aramis Ramirez. The Brewers then could give away free goalie masks to the fans sitting behind first base. Over/under on errors and homeruns for the pair of 'em?

I doubt the former happens, but it looks like the latter just did...pending a physical, Aramis to Milwaukee on a three-year deal(haven't seen the $$ figure, yet).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Robdzatu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I think he stays. He wants to play every day AND be on a contender. The Cubbies Dodgers and Nationals are making moves but they just aren't there yet. St. Louis may be the only legit spot out there, but that's a JR Ewing move if he does.
Robdzatu
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Robdzatu wrote:I think he stays.

The Brewers never made him an offer. With his asking price, I doubt if they will.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 pm

None of the above.

The Tigers, panicking over Victor Martinez' injury, just signed him for 9/$214 million. Yowza!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

This actually makes a lot of sense.

1.) There's a Fielder playing 1B for the Tigers again.

2.) Prince is out of the NL. Good for him, in that Detroit can DH him as much as he'll put up with. Objectively, I'd say that the old Eddie Murray formula (100 games at 1B, 62 at DH) is a pretty good one, but other's I've talked to are certain that Prince would balk at that; I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Given that I don't actively hate the Tigers, this ended up about as well as I could have hoped for the guy.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 am

Marvell wrote:This actually makes a lot of sense.
1.) There's a Fielder playing 1B for the Tigers again.
2.) Prince is out of the NL. Good for him, in that Detroit can DH him as much as he'll put up with. Objectively, I'd say that the old Eddie Murray formula (100 games at 1B, 62 at DH) is a pretty good one, but other's I've talked to are certain that Prince would balk at that; I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Given that I don't actively hate the Tigers, this ended up about as well as I could have hoped for the guy.

Yeah, but:
1.) Prince is not exactly the biggest fan of his father, but obviously that's a non-factor in the face of this much $$$
2.) How will Prince handle being a DH? About as well as Adam Dunn? And Dunn is playing at a much more hitter-friendly home field than Prince will be. Comerica is not the launching pad Tiger Stadium was, and the AL has not been kind to NL sluggers. With both Prince and Pujols coming over that trend will be put to the test-- maybe it's statistical hogwash. Also, with Prince and Cabrera the Tigers have two big slow sluggers who are not very adept in the field. When Martinez comes back they'll have three of 'em. The cutting edge dweebs on MLB Network seemed to think last night that the Tigers may play Cabrera at 3rd some, which, with either Prince or Martinez at 1st could give them an historically poor fielding infield.

But then, I'm a White Sox fan (The few, the proud, the largely absent from actually attending games...). Could be some epic Tigers-Sox whiff fests coming up.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking