MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite Cookies for the Holidays

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Favorite Cookies for the Holidays

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:15 pm

This is one of the best cookie recipes I have for the Holidays and I'm going to share them with you. No calories have been spared.

Thumbprint Cookies
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 t salt
1 cup no salt butter
1/2 cup sugar, taking a spin in the blender to make it fine
2 t vanilla
Your preferred jam and/or chocolate chips

Sift flour and salt and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Slowly mix in flour. Combine and let sit in fridge for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 325F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and space 2 inches apart on un-greased baking sheet.

Make a deep thumbprint in each cookie and fill with your choice of jam or chocolate.

Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are the color of pale sand. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Cool. Eat. Enjoy.

This recipe makes 48 cookies, 90 calories per cookie, with 4 grams of fat.

NOT that anyone is seeking this info this time of year...
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Favorite Cookies for the Holidays

Postby fennel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm not in the pastry department of this household, but I do like good cookies. When trying a new recipe, I suggest cutting the sweetener by half, as a starting point. Most recipes are so over-sweetened that the interesting flavors are suppressed. I'm a big fan of cardamom and Ceylon cinnamon. I've also had some recipes where tiny amounts of cayenne were incorporated, to excellent effect.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 pm

That might work for this recipe, but do not cut out the butter portion. It really needs to be the salt-free butter, but you can add the other spices/herbs you like.

You can probably cut the sugar portion but I wouldn't recommend it. Hey, it's the Holiday's anyway, right?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I was speaking in general terms. The recipe you have seems about right, but I've seen plenty of recipes that call for a full cup of sugar for a mere two cups of flour. (Bleh!)
... and I would never reduce the amount of butter.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Today my company had potluck holiday treats. Someone brought sugar cookies, frosted and with the little round sprinkles on them. My favorite! No one was eating them so I ate a few. Klein's Bakery on old State St. used to make fabulous sugar cookies. With a cup of good coffee, mmmm!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:17 pm

I soon will be attempting to make a variation on Linzer Torte cookies from an old family recipe: on top of a traditional Linzer sandwich cookie (with raspberry jam filling) goes a thin, stiff layer of chocolate ganache, which is then topped with an almond sliver. They've always been my favorite holiday cookies. I used to help put 'em together, but I've never made them by myself. They really are scrumptious, and if I can get them right, I'll post the recipe....
Ttusker

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:34 pm

fennel wrote:I'm not in the pastry department of this household, but I do like good cookies. When trying a new recipe, I suggest cutting the sweetener by half, as a starting point. Most recipes are so over-sweetened that the interesting flavors are suppressed. I'm a big fan of cardamom and Ceylon cinnamon. I've also had some recipes where tiny amounts of cayenne were incorporated, to excellent effect.

For the most part, I agree with you fennel. Too much sugar in Holiday cookies. I have often found that when a recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar I can easily cut that to 3/4 or sometimes 1/2 a cup.

Please let me know if you cut back the sugar in this recipe and how much people like it. It's one I use for sharing with family and co-workers so am hesitant in altering the recipe.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm making my fabulous apple pie for Christmas. I always taste the apple to decide how much sugar to use. I don't like to mess up the twang of my Granny Smiths!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm making my fabulous apple pie for Christmas. I always taste the apple to decide how much sugar to use. I don't like to mess up the twang of my Granny Smiths!

So you gonna share the recipe???
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:48 pm

You know, I love cookies. But I have to say they are a bit more labor intensive than, say, muffins, cupcakes, cake, or even a pie.

Personally, I'm a muffin/cupcake person because those are just so darn convenient. Mix, fill, bake. Simple.

I love a good pie though too. But I'm willing to bet that bwish53 will not share their famous recipe. Love to have it tho. My significant LOVES granny smith apples.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues