MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Postby ko-Kayne » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:59 pm

2 words : Mierda Verde
ko-Kayne
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 am

flanneljammies wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
rick wrote:Rich told me once that he considers an "album" to be at least eight songs.

I have no beef with that since that's pretty much a true statement.

I would never send a review place a CD-R when there is a hard copy of the album. That's just plain old cheap. If a review place is worth yr time then they're worth the actual record you released. How can you properly assess a release without having it in yr hands? I still believe in physical product.

8 Songs is pretty arbitrary. I think running time is a better measure. I mean, how is 8 songs all under 2 minutes more of an album than 4-5 10-minute tracks? I think this is a carry over from the days of vinyl when you couldn't have an LP side longer than 25 minutes and you couldn't get on the radio with long songs. But whatever, just points out his limited vision and flexibility.

Physical product is cool but a lot of places we sent stuff out to for review specify elctronic ONLY. Makes sense though. It's a lot easier and less guilt-inducing to delete files than to fill a landfill with CDs. Speaking of CDs... we're done with them. Our next record will be vinyl and digital only.

A few points here. I don't know where yr sending shit to but I run a label and send out shit to 50+ places that DEFINITELY only want the physical product (same with Hussy records). And by product I mean a vinyl record. Not a CD. I would never make a CD for my label unless I was doing a big LP for a really good band. CDs are useless for sure (like ya said).

Our first LP was 21 minutes total. It's still an LP.
8 songs is completely arbitrary but yeah yr right there are lines to be drawn. I wasn't saying it should be a hard rule. it's just a quick one to sorta stand by, whcih I totally do understand (it's not like Rich was being sent hardcore band's records).
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 am

NullDevice wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:Why is it a bad thing to review 24 year olds with neckbeards and cardigans again? Their music probably fits more into what Rich Albertoni likes than most of the other local bands.

It's not bad, per se, but isn't the whole point of this thread that there's a whole wide world of music that never got touched? And if you're reading a other weeklies, there seems to be nothing but twee indie-rock bands dominating the pages.

Please start that noisecore band too by the way. It will interest me and seemingly the rest of Madison (besides Rich Albertoni) a whole lot more than Null Device.

Oh SNAP!

But that's okay, we're really not interesting to *anybody* so in the end it doesn't matter all that much. But it keeps me off the streets, so you can take comfort in that.

And my noisecore project won't be interesting either. I promise!

(I'm not *entirely* sure what I did to draw your ire, sir. If I have somehow offended you, accept my apologies, and I will hastily retreat back to the food&cooking forum)

The Onion likes a lot of bands that are not twee pop indie junk. Just wait til the best of the year list comes out. Then we can discuss that.

I have no beef with you. I just disagree with yr methods. People take me too seriously I think sometimes.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am

You're entirely welcome to disagree with my methods. Even I do. Consider me a cautionary example.

I just like banging out tunes in my basement, and I like having a justification for buying new microphones.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby RecallSkinnyJeans » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 am

I like half the songs on Peaking Lights' "936," the other half are boring. To be fair, they probably were supposed to be boring considering the trance inducing vibes Peaking Lights tends to produce. Their remix of Gold Panda's 'An Iceberg Hurled Northward Through Clouds' is ace. Love it.

I saw them at Mickey's twice. These two know what they are doing. One of the most unique sounding groups out there right now.

'All The Sun That Shines' is killer, check it!

http://vimeo.com/19061882

I'm glad some psychedelic musical enchanters are here. This town needs some positive vibes, too much negativity is spewed from the isthmus. I saw Acid Mothers Temple at their shop, for free!

Live, love, and feel the drone.
RecallSkinnyJeans

Postby RecallSkinnyJeans » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 am

NullDevice wrote:I just like banging out tunes in my basement

Long live the basement producers. Feel the vibrations from the underground.
RecallSkinnyJeans

Postby flanneljammies » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 am

defactobrigade wrote:A few points here. I don't know where yr sending shit to but I run a label and send out shit to 50+ places that DEFINITELY only want the physical product (same with Hussy records).

We focused on sending stuff to blogs mainly. Our label took care of the big print publications, which mostly want hard copies. We should swap lists Bobby.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 pm

defactobrigade wrote:And by product I mean a vinyl record. Not a CD. I would never make a CD for my label unless I was doing a big LP for a really good band. CDs are useless for sure.

"Useless" seems a bit strong. CDs are way cheaper to produce than LPs, sound better than mp3s, and considering most recording/mixing/mastering is done in the digital realm what are the advantages to releasing music on LP (besides big album art and hipster cred)? *sigh* Maybe in 30 years CDs will become cool again.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:00 pm

defactobrigade wrote:A few points here. I don't know where yr sending shit to but I run a label and send out shit to 50+ places that DEFINITELY only want the physical product (same with Hussy records). And by product I mean a vinyl record. Not a CD. I would never make a CD for my label unless I was doing a big LP for a really good band. CDs are useless for sure (like ya said).

supaunknown wrote:"Useless" seems a bit strong. CDs are way cheaper to produce than LPs, sound better than mp3s, and considering most recording/mixing/mastering is done in the digital realm what are the advantages to releasing music on LP (besides big album art and hipster cred)? *sigh* Maybe in 30 years CDs will become cool again.

My band made a little over $4K selling an EP released on CD this year. Additionally, it was available digitally and we made some money there, but not nearly as much (as most of our sales were at shows).

CDs are perhaps useless in some aspects (I don't usually buy 'em) but they most definitely have value and are worthwhile, depending on the kind of show you're playing. For us, printing up anything on vinyl (or cassette) would be way, way more worthless.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 pm

supaunknown wrote:"Useless" seems a bit strong. CDs are way cheaper to produce than LPs, sound better than mp3s, and considering most recording/mixing/mastering is done in the digital realm what are the advantages to releasing music on LP (besides big album art and hipster cred)? *sigh* Maybe in 30 years CDs will become cool again.

The thing is that CDs are just a heartbeat away from digital anyway. They're not portable like digital files and they're much more difficult to make cool enough for it to be a keepsake or art object like vinyl. The vinyl of our most recent record is almost gone, but we've sold only a handful of CDs. We continue collect donations for our free downloads. Never underestimate the big art and hipness factor.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 pm

flanneljammies wrote:

The thing is that CDs are just a heartbeat away from digital anyway. They're not portable like digital files and they're much more difficult to make cool enough for it to be a keepsake or art object like vinyl. The vinyl of our most recent record is almost gone, but we've sold only a handful of CDs. We continue collect donations for our free downloads. Never underestimate the big art and hipness factor.

Granted, it's all about knowing your audience. We're not selling anything to anyone who thinks of themselves as a hipster, so CD is the sweet spot, product-wise.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Yes, if you're playing shows to an older crowd who has all their REM and Wallflowers on CD at home, then yeah... :D
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:58 pm

flanneljammies wrote:Yes, if you're playing shows to an older crowd who has all their REM and Wallflowers on CD at home, then yeah... :D

Yup, that's the core ska demographic.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flanneljammies » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

The AV Club list makes a lot more sense (and not just because we're on it). Discuss...
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music