MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Postby wallrock » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:08 am

flanneljammies wrote:The thing is that CDs are just a heartbeat away from digital anyway. They're not portable like digital files and they're much more difficult to make cool enough for it to be a keepsake or art object like vinyl.

This is the main reason I've for the most part stopped buying CDs and switched over to vinyl. With CDs I would just import them into my computer and listen to the music on my iPod at work or in the car. I never listened to them on my home stereo since the sound quality was about the same as docking my iPod. With vinyl it does sound better and it's a bit more interactive. I was lucky enough to get one of the Revolution LPs and it's fucking gorgeous. Obviously the music is why I got it and with the digital tracks I can listen to it wherever. However when I play it at home I'm admiring the artwork, the liner notes and even the red and black color of the record itself.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wmhart » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am

Glad to see my topic generated some semi decent discussion.

see, this is more like it:

The A.V. Club’s top 10 Madison records of 2011

10. Deep Sh*t: Creepin’ While You Sleepin’
9. Exurbs: Exurbs

8. Icarus Himself: Career Culture
7. The United Sons Of Toil: When The Revolution Comes, Everything Will Be Beautiful

6. The Hussy: Cement Tomb Mind Control

5. Dead Luke: Meanwhile ... In The Midwest

4. Julian Lynch: Terra

3. Man Mantis: Cities Without Houses

2. All Tiny Creatures: Harbors

1. Peaking Lights: 936

Some great records on that list. and good variety too, although you could argue that folk and singer-songwriter music is under-represented. But it was cool to see some stuff I hadn't heard of before like Deep Sh*t, and Exurbs.

I was sad to see that Jeremiah Nelson's record didnt make their cut either.
wmhart

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 pm

flanneljammies wrote:The AV Club list makes a lot more sense (and not just because we're on it). Discuss...

seconded. for both reasons.
http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/ ... 011,66361/
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Yeah i feel like CDs are essentially throwaway objects at this point in time. Glad you made some money on yr CD and had no tact in telling us just how much you made. Yr right, yr band isn't worth actually spending the extra cost to make a quality product that most likely won't end up in the garbage bin, since it'd be impossible for you to peddle them to babyboomers who have NO clue that they NEVER STOPPED MAKING NEW VINYL. Vinyl is NOT a "hipster" fad. It's always been used as a gauge in the underground. In all scenes (besides shitty old man vanity rock) it's never disappeared. People always have and always will buy vinyl. Underground bands aren't really selling any more vinyl than they were 10 years ago (in fact it's probably way less), the indie snoozefest gravy trains do all the cashing in these days. The "boom" in vinyl was definitely re-latched on by the hipsters, but the punk/metal/powerpop/grunge/garage/rock people never let it go to begin with.

CDs are fine for yr vanity projects who never have plans to tour outside of the region, or if yr core audience is double my age. Hey that's cool...if that's yr thing. It's definitely not mine.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Bobby Hussy is quite entertaining; perhaps Isthmus should make him an offer. Not kidding.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:36 pm

I just karaoke'd his rants over "Tighten Up". Check gramophonebaby for a version of it soon.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Do buyers of vinyl still spend more time listening to mp3s? I'd guess yes. Not a hip youngster, I still buy CDs because I think of the album as the main artistic work (kids now seem to be more interested in songs), but I have no desire to mess with vinyl. CDs still made 73% of sales in 2010. I'm surprised a band would abandon CDs, given their convenience and superiority to mp3. Aren't most fans of vinyl simply making a (somewhat elitist) identity statement through a consumer choice?
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:03 pm

CDs are out and vinyl is back in? Guess I should track down one of these things.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 pm

The FM Transmitter turntables work better in the car than those in the dash.

Although recently in the car I've FINALLY gotten my 8-Track Converter to not spit out my 'Cassette to 1/8 jack converter' so I can plug my Zune into it via the headphone jack. - just don't hit FF on the 8 track adapter as it's lossless audio I've shoved into that thing and I don't want to lose any audio quality.

:)
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby flanneljammies » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 pm

cloudy wrote:Do buyers of vinyl still spend more time listening to mp3s?
Yes. That's why the vinyl + download combo is so popular. It's pretty much impossible to buy vinyl without a getting a download card.

cloudy wrote:I'm surprised a band would abandon CDs, given their convenience and superiority to mp3.
They certainly aren't as convenient as digital. Versus vinyl yes, but see my comment above about download cards. MP3 320 sounds pretty damn good in most applications and FLAC or OGG (standard offerings from Bandcamp) are equivalent for all intents and purposes.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Bobby, would you like to join my blues-rock cover band? We're thinking of venturing out to the Club Tavern next month - road gig!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:52 pm

cloudy wrote:Do buyers of vinyl still spend more time listening to mp3s? I'd guess yes. Not a hip youngster, I still buy CDs because I think of the album as the main artistic work (kids now seem to be more interested in songs), but I have no desire to mess with vinyl. CDs still made 73% of sales in 2010. I'm surprised a band would abandon CDs, given their convenience and superiority to mp3. Aren't most fans of vinyl simply making a (somewhat elitist) identity statement through a consumer choice?

I definitely do listen to the digital tracks more on a whole given the time I spend at work and in the car but when I'm listening at home I probably go about 60%/30%/10% vinyl/digital/CDs. I'm an album-based listener as well and I like having the physical product instead of just digital which is why LPs suit me. I came of age during the reign of CDs (with a few cassettes in the mix from the middle school days) but I did have a good number of 7" singles and EPs since a lot of the punk bands I listened to put out their music that way. For me it was never a decision to switch to vinyl, I just kept buying vinyl releases and stopped buying CDs.
Last edited by wallrock on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:37 am

If I'm listening to music at home it's 100% on vinyl.
I listen to music on vinyl all day at work at Mad City.
MANY people are like myself.
just because a large population still enjoys a CD, does NOT mean that a small (but still SIGNIFICANT) do not. And those people are who we're selling records to. Many labels solely exist to release vinyl records. Other labels (ones that have the most money) will release records on vinyl and CD, and obviously that's the best choice. But if I have to choose one or the other for my band to be released on I'd pick vinyl. it shows quality and consideration more than that 300 dollar pressed CD you pressed up. People throw CDs away/trash em at stores. MOST CDs lose value really quick and significantly. Even good CDs. Good records hang onto their value a bit more, and if yr a nerd you'll buy some vinyl that's hundreds of dollars depending on the pressing it is. There are TONS of people like that in the world. And typically those people have probably heard way more records than you in their lives.Vinyl definitely loses value as well, but it seems like more people are into buying used vinyl than used CDs these days. Partly because it's limited, partly because it's obviously superior in sound quality. it's just not practical for some applications, but for listening at home there's nothing better than vinyl. It's rare that a really fucking shitty band gets pressed on vinyl by a real label (not run by someone in the band). I always find it to be that the bands that can't get on real labels are the bands that don't understand vinyl. Not to say that type of music music is worse or better. It's just different. Since you don't actively listen to music in the underground (where vinyl is still predominant) you don't understand what it's about. You see huge artists releasing CDs and selling millions of copies. Often that is a corporately decided fate. Marketing is magic. But GOOD underground bands often succeed. That's because they have labels releasing vinyl records' support. Without underground labels releasing vinyl onto the tastemakers of the underground (who then hoist said bands to the mainstream) we would get nowhere with advancing music. That's where the new bands are being found. That's where the shitty bands are getting weeded out. No one wants to release people's shitty vanity project onto the world. And therefore those bands will completely fade away at some point. That's okay if you want yr band to not be known outside of yr circle of friends (which is ABSOLUTELY okay, but honestly then yr band has no influence on other musicians/won't have the impact of a record that hits more homes -probably a vinyl and CD release/nothing huge/influential to offer outside of the small scene in which you exist). It's not to say that it's not important. It just won't have the impact of a record released via a good label (even a good underground label which you may not have even heard of. but even if you don't know it there are probably 500+ kids out there that DO know it and LOVE it and trust the label's judgement). Without this structure we'd all sound like pop robots created by the major labels, or shitty midlife crisis reggae bands. Which would be fine if that's what yr into. it's definitely not what I'm into. Bands like Sonic Youth and even Nirvana wouldn't exist without vinyl records/viny labels. That's absolutely for sure. Sure they obviously made their millions selling CDs, but they didn't care to. They wanted the releases available on vinyl first and foremost. That's what the underground has always been about. If you run around playing in a Madison band thinking yr NOT in the underground, well then yr funny...and/or a really delusional band....OR Garbage.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 am

Nirvana's In Utero:
"In Utero was released on September 13, 1993 in the United Kingdom, and on September 14 in the United States; it was initially only available in vinyl record and cassette tape formats, with the American vinyl pressing limited to 25,000 copies.[64][65] Although the album was issued on Compact Disc in the UK on September 14, a full domestic release did not occur until September 21.[64] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Utero_(album)

I HIGHLY doubt anyone on this board knows anyone who has made a better record than In Utero. So yeah please try to tell me that this is pointless, cuz I think that says it all. A huge band released their seminal record (the followup to the biggest record of the decade) and they chose to release it first and foremost on, according to you, an inferior format. I think fucking not.

I consider Nirvana a good band, and a good show of what a true hard-working underground band is like. Even after they succeeded they held onto their underground upbringing. Obviously you are completely out of touch with the underground music scene...
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 am

rrnate wrote:Bobby, would you like to join my blues-rock cover band? We're thinking of venturing out to the Club Tavern next month - road gig!

no offense...but probably not.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music