MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Six Waltons Have More Wealth Than the Bottom 30 % of America

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Six Waltons Have More Wealth Than the Bottom 30 % of Ame

Postby bcs89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:42 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
bcs89 wrote:

What the fuck?

Where did I even come close to saying what your are attributing to me? Are we both plugged into the same reality here, or you got your own thing going..
Well, if you keep your eyes closed, fine. If you choose to open them and look around, the whole world is in dire straights because of corporate power/greed, not Steve Jobs. WalMart's one of the best at taking advantage of these hard fought for (bought) policies that recently destroyed the world's economy. You know, today's reality. Yet you argue along the lines of obfuscating this point by drawing attention to Steve Jobs - apples and oranges.

Hmm, what is different about this post? It seems shorter somehow - almost like someone went back and edited out the part that makes him look even more stupid than usual. Yup, that's it! Problem is j-boy, I quoted the full version just a couple posts above.

Oh well, a swing and a miss by little johnny - and I guess all can assume that my challenge for you to show me where I was singing the praises of Walmart was answered with nothing more than some editing slight of hand, that means ya got nothin', right?

Thought so.
bcs89

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 pm

bcs89 wrote:
The definition of irony - j-boy calling someone out for bitching.

Oh yeah, still waiting to see where I posted anything about how great Walmart is, got anything?

Dipshit.
I never said or even suggested that you said or thought Walmart is great. You must be in "your own thing." Ironic indeed, since you accused me of exactly what you're guilty of. Even after clarifying you came to that conclusion? And you think other people are stupid? : )
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:23 pm

bcs89 wrote:
Hmm, what is different about this post? It seems shorter somehow - almost like someone went back and edited out the part that makes him look even more stupid than usual. Yup, that's it! Problem is j-boy, I quoted the full version just a couple posts above.

Oh well, a swing and a miss by little johnny - and I guess all can assume that my challenge for you to show me where I was singing the praises of Walmart was answered with nothing more than some editing slight of hand, that means ya got nothin', right?

Thought so.
I apologize for retracting an insult thrown your way. Nest time I'll just call you an ignorant asshole who projects his/her problems onto others w/o understanding what you or anyone else is talking about. Thanks for straightening me out on this vital matter so very related to the topic at hand : )
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:52 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
bcs89 wrote:
The definition of irony - j-boy calling someone out for bitching.

Oh yeah, still waiting to see where I posted anything about how great Walmart is, got anything?

Dipshit.
I never said or even suggested that you said or thought Walmart is great. You must be in "your own thing." Ironic indeed, since you accused me of exactly what you're guilty of. Even after clarifying you came to that conclusion? And you think other people are stupid? : )

I see - so, in your world, if a comment is not on the page you are responding to, it does not exist.. Gotcha

j-boy, our own little Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal who, as DNA explained to all, is "a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you"

Back up a few pages champ - you are the one who jumped ugly because I said Apple may not be an icon of pure gooey goodness.
bcs89

Postby bcs89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:57 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
bcs89 wrote:

Thought so.
I apologize for retracting an insult thrown your way. Nest time I'll just call you an ignorant asshole who projects his/her problems onto others w/o understanding what you or anyone else is talking about. Thanks for straightening me out on this vital matter so very related to the topic at hand : )

Ah yes, I forgot how delicately you tread these forums.

No doubt that's why you edited it.
I'm sure everyone believes that.
Really.
I know I do..
bcs89

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 pm

bcs89 wrote:

I see - so, in your world, if a comment is not on the page you are responding to, it does not exist.. Gotcha

j-boy, our own little Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal who, as DNA explained to all, is "a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you"

Back up a few pages champ - you are the one who jumped ugly because I said Apple may not be an icon of pure gooey goodness.
Again, I'm sorry that you're having a problem with this. All I said was that bringing up Apple in a discussion about the massive wealth redistribution to the top/corporate control of government was an apples and oranges comparison. I have no regard for Apple either good or bad. I only said that your bringing it up was a distraction from the main point. You've somehow changed that into something completely different.

There is no comment, suggestion or implication from me along the lines of what you're accusing me of, on any page. You created that completely on your own. You can stop acting like a dumbass (no wait, let me use dipshit, the choice of intellectuals such as yourself : ) since you think you're better than I am, or maybe you can't?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:35 pm

It was my mistake if I mischaracterized the angle you took, aligning you with Ned as you agreed with him. It just seemed to appear that way. Even so, you jumped off the cliff, so it sounds like things aren't going that great for you anyway. Happy I could be your sounding board though.

But no WalMart isn't "like" other corporations that sell imported goods in that WalMart micromanages their Chinese sweat shops, signed a huge retail contract with China, vigorously fights against women's rights, union organizing, and a multitude of other things. Ned's comparing of WalMart to Apple is the sign of a desperate thinker, and you agreed with it.

Although WalMart epitomizes what's wrong with trade laws, and exploitation of 3rd world labor, I'd rather fight the system that allows it.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:26 am

Um, Johnny? Do you think that Apple manufactures all of those yummy "pads" and "phones" in the good 'ol USA with apple-cheeked, sexism-free, well-paid union labor?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:38 am

Do you think that Apple manufactures all of those yummy "pads" and "phones" in the good 'ol USA with apple-cheeked, sexism-free, well-paid union labor?

I'd gladly pay more for them if they did.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:42 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Do you think that Apple manufactures all of those yummy "pads" and "phones" in the good 'ol USA with apple-cheeked, sexism-free, well-paid union labor?

I'd gladly pay more for them if they did.

I read somewhere that an iPhone would cost like $3K if completely manufactured in the U.S.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 am

I read somewhere that an iPhone would cost like $3K if completely manufactured in the U.S.

Great. I'll add this to the list I have of dumb made up shit Ned read somewhere.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Um, Johnny? Do you think that Apple manufactures all of those yummy "pads" and "phones" in the good 'ol USA with apple-cheeked, sexism-free, well-paid union labor?
Are you suggesting that there's something wrong with a system that allows exploitation of labor in 3rd world countries?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

GReat, bring it on. Then I could get 5 or 6 of my friends back from this oblivious fucking parallel universe they've entered, and the dumbshit ahead of me wouldn't be sitting still at a green light looking at his lap.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I read somewhere that an iPhone would cost like $3K if completely manufactured in the U.S.

So here is what I found. Keep in mind this is for the iPad2 not the iphone.

Apple has contracted to make its iPad 2s in China, where the typical worker makes a hardy $185 a week. What if, in a fever of uneconomic patriotism, Apple chose to make its iPads in the U.S.? Assuming typical U.S. manufacturers worked at the same speed as the Chinese, and assuming Apple raised the price to maintain its profit margin, the iPad 2 would cost more than $1,100.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... 40/238508/

The iPad2 was selling for $729. So that is about a $400 markup.

Compare this with Ned's comment and he is so full of shit it's comical.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:11 pm

WalMart Vs. Apple is just a false analogy anyway. How many businesses dry up when an Apple outlet comes to town? Does Apple lay people off just before pension time, or routinely keep employees from accumulating enough hours to qualify for full-time benefits like WalMart does? etal...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines