MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Re: The Isthmus' best Madison albums / songs of 2011?

Postby wmhart » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm bummed this turned into a record snob "vinyl vs. CD" thing. Who cares, as long as it's a physical product and people are able to listen to it.
wmhart

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:Bands say they're into vinyl, but are they doing vinyl releases in matrix quadraphonic? No. So they're not really into vinyl.

Because how many people do you know with a 4 speaker quadrophonic system in their home? Obviously you will know some, but the large amount of people listen to music on a two speaker system. Why cater to an even more segregated community when I've already explained that vinyl is a niche market? I wasn't arguing that vinyl was the mainstream (that'd be stupid to argue), but to deny it is to turn yr cheek to a large segment of people who actively seek out new music.

We DO care about sound since we had our record pressed on a 12" platter that spins at 45 RPM and the label paid extra money to have a QUALITY mastering engineer cut the record correctly (to be loud and full).

I was just kidding.

I assumed that but I felt the need to mention that we DO care about sound and wanted to show you why/how we went about making sure our record sounded right. Since you were still stabbing us slightly...right? ;)
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:00 pm

wmhart wrote:I'm bummed this turned into a record snob "vinyl vs. CD" thing. Who cares, as long as it's a physical product and people are able to listen to it.

Honestly I was more arguing the merits of bands being on real record labels instead of that basement vanity project label that so many people in Madison run for solely their own personal self-centered interests...aka their band (instead of promoting the community/scene as a whole...)

Obviously there will still always be a few good bands that self-release their own CDs on their own imprint. I'm not arguing that. I'm just pointing out that it's a pretty safe bet that typically those types of releases are not as good as releases on real labels.
How many of you out there can honestly say you listen to more CDs or records that were self-released by a band on their own imprint (an imprint that only releases records by one band) than recordings released on real labels (even labels run by the band but also release other records...See SST for reference)?
Last edited by defactobrigade on Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wmhart » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:04 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Honestly I was more arguing the merits of bands being on a real record label instead of that basement vanity project label that so many people in Madison run for solely their own personal self-centered interests...aka their band (instead of promoting the community/scene as a whole...)

Totally agree.
wmhart

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:00 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
wmhart wrote:I'm bummed this turned into a record snob "vinyl vs. CD" thing. Who cares, as long as it's a physical product and people are able to listen to it.

Honestly I was more arguing the merits of bands being on real record labels instead of that basement vanity project label that so many people in Madison run for solely their own personal self-centered interests...aka their band (instead of promoting the community/scene as a whole...)

Obviously there will still always be a few good bands that self-release their own CDs on their own imprint. I'm not arguing that. I'm just pointing out that it's a pretty safe bet that typically those types of releases are not as good as releases on real labels.
How many of you out there can honestly say you listen to more CDs or records that were self-released by a band on their own imprint (an imprint that only releases records by one band) than recordings released on real labels (even labels run by the band but also release other records...See SST for reference)?

I sure don't know how things got so off track, what with Defacto being so clear and succinct with his thoughts. Let's summarize...

defactobrigade paraphrased wrote:
* Vinyl man, vinyl! It's like, a thing, that you can hold, and eventually when it's really rare, it's also collectible!

* CDs are done dude - done!

* Labels man, labels! All the best bands are on labels!

* You guys don't know anything about promotion!

* That AV Club list is way better than the Isthmus list! I am in no way influenced in my opinion by the fact that me and some of my friends are on that list and not on the Isthmus list!

* In Utero - that's a great one!

* Don't be juding me because I type "yr", that's just my thing!

I actually agree with most of these points, but cripes, the way you make 'em is surely not the best way.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:52 pm

rrnate wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:

I sure don't know how things got so off track, what with Defacto being so clear and succinct with his thoughts. Let's summarize...

defactobrigade paraphrased wrote:
* Vinyl man, vinyl! It's like, a thing, that you can hold, and eventually when it's really rare, it's also collectible!

* CDs are done dude - done!

* Labels man, labels! All the best bands are on labels!

* You guys don't know anything about promotion!

* That AV Club list is way better than the Isthmus list! I am in no way influenced in my opinion by the fact that me and some of my friends are on that list and not on the Isthmus list!

* In Utero - that's a great one!

* Don't be juding me because I type "yr", that's just my thing!

I actually agree with most of these points, but cripes, the way you make 'em is surely not the best way.

And yr point?

The Onion list is ALWAYS better than the Isthmus'. So I'm friends with Dead Luke and Midwest Beat? So that means that I would favor the list (even though Luke is on the Isthmus list)? I'm not friends with the majority of people on both lists, and I still think that the Onion list is way better. Look at years past...their list is ALWAYS a better representation of what's going on in the scene. You act like because my band isn't on the list this year now all of a sudden I have a problem with Rich Albertoni. I've been giving that guy shit for years. I've been giving the Isthmus shit for years (look through the forums, you'll find many instances of this). It's NOT because they don't like my band (which is untrue since they have reviewed the Hussy favorably and Rich wrote an article about us as well). It's because the people I've dealt with that work at the Isthmus (Jason Joyce, Kenneth Burns, and Rich Albertoni) have all in my opinion been completely out of touch with what's really going on in the music scene in Madison. Which sucks considering Tom Laskin understood what was going on and then he left. When you have a good writer and they leave and they're replaced by such a fucking shitty writer as Rich Albertoni, well then that's a LOSS for the whole scene. And it's because not many people in the scene have the balls to stand up and say "WHAT THE FUCK?", that I had to go on here and make some racket. They're too busy worrying that their precious Isthmus might not write about them. I don't give a fuck about that. I don't give a shit if the Isthmus writes about us. No band needs their help to succeed. That's for sure. Instead they'd rather just pat each other on the back at the MAMA ceremony and tell each other, "What a great bunch of musicians we are!"

I may have been longwinded with how I explained everything, but it's like I'm talking to 15 year olds on this fucking board. Most of you have no idea how the industry works, so sorry for explaining every little bit of it. I assumed if I didn't I'd be attacked for something that I didn't explain enough/elaborate enough on. Still got you to read the whole damn thing and post about it (and then you said that you actually agreed with the points)....so I guess I don't get yr point other than you thought I was too long-winded. Okay. So I was too long-winded. Doesn't mean I didn't bring up a shit-ton of valid points.
Last edited by defactobrigade on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm

defactobrigade wrote:
The Onion list is ALWAYS better than the Isthmus'. So I'm friends with Dead Luke and Midwest Beat? So that means that I would favor the list (even though Luke is on the Isthmus list)? I'm not friends with the majority of people on both lists, and I still think that the Onion list is way better. Look at years past...their list is ALWAYS a better representation of what's going on in the scene. You act like because my band isn't on the list this year now all of a sudden I have a problem with Rich Albertoni. I've been giving that guy shit for years. I've been giving the Isthmus shit for years. It's NOT because they don't like my band (which is untrue since they have reviewed the Hussy favorably and Rich wrote an article about us). It's because the people I've dealt with that work at the Isthmus (Jason Joyce, Kenneth Burns, and Rich Albertoni) have all in my opinion been completely out of touch with what's really going on in the music scene in Madison.

So, what you're saying is, you'd like every local publication/website to have a similar take on what kind of local music is the "best" kind?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:03 pm

rrnate wrote:
defactobrigade wrote:
The Onion list is ALWAYS better than the Isthmus'. So I'm friends with Dead Luke and Midwest Beat? So that means that I would favor the list (even though Luke is on the Isthmus list)? I'm not friends with the majority of people on both lists, and I still think that the Onion list is way better. Look at years past...their list is ALWAYS a better representation of what's going on in the scene. You act like because my band isn't on the list this year now all of a sudden I have a problem with Rich Albertoni. I've been giving that guy shit for years. I've been giving the Isthmus shit for years. It's NOT because they don't like my band (which is untrue since they have reviewed the Hussy favorably and Rich wrote an article about us). It's because the people I've dealt with that work at the Isthmus (Jason Joyce, Kenneth Burns, and Rich Albertoni) have all in my opinion been completely out of touch with what's really going on in the music scene in Madison.

So, what you're saying is, you'd like every local publication/website to have a similar take on what kind of local music is the "best" kind?

More or less...Yes.
Good music is good music. Shitty music is shitty music.

I for one do not really love Peaking LIghts but I COMPLETELY think a list that misses them is obviously completely out of touch with what's going on in the scene. I would have picked them as one of the best releases for sure and I don't even really like their band. I CAN understand that it's good music and I can equate it to being good music. It's just not music that I like that much. Doesn't mean it's not good. Some of the shit the Isthmus picks is just plain old bad.

Just because a band releases a record in Madison doesn't mean we HAVE to commend them for that. The Isthmus is all about being nice to everyone, and honestly that's not the point of reviewing records. It should be somewhat objective. Otherwise why would anyone want to trust their judgement? There's no point to their opinion other than "Oh a Madison band released a record so lets be nice and say nice things about it." So why read their reviews even? Shouldn't they be telling you which records to buy and which to pass on?
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:20 pm

defactobrigade wrote:Just because a band releases a record in Madison doesn't mean we HAVE to commend them for that. The Isthmus is all about being nice to everyone, and honestly that's not the point of reviewing records. It should be somewhat objective. Otherwise why would anyone want to trust their judgement? There's no point to their opinion other than "Oh a Madison band released a record so lets be nice and say nice things about it." So why read their reviews even? Shouldn't they be telling you which records to buy and which to pass on?

No doubt as a publication they could be more critical, but the fact is, there is a certain sensibility that informs the AV Club picks (noisier, rockier, etc.); the Isthmus list is pretty different, in that includes country, reggae, folk, etc. - genres that are big draws in Madison but don't really align with your sensibilities.

That doesn't necessarily make it "shitty". Similarly, most of these folks aren't playing to vinyl hoarders, so why would it matter if they release their albums on vinyl vs. CD? The idea that "all the really involved music lovers love vinyl" is just wrong; that's just one kind of music spazz.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:24 pm

I may have been longwinded with how I explained everything, but it's like I'm talking to 15 year olds on this fucking board.

Funny, every one of your posts looks like a 13 year old texted it on their cellphone. Did you type these on your cellphone? Wait, you probably don't have one. You probably INSIST on using a rotary land line.

Most of you have no idea how the industry works, so sorry for explaining every little bit of it. I assumed if I didn't I'd be attacked for something that I didn't explain enough/elaborate enough on. Still got you to read the whole damn thing and post about it (and then you said that you actually agreed with the points)....so I guess I don't get yr point other than you thought I was too long-winded. Okay. So I was too long-winded. Doesn't mean I didn't bring up a shit-ton of valid points.

Blah, blah, blah... self-righteous garbage... blah, blah, blah.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby rogue » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm

The Onion list is ALWAYS better than the Isthmus'.]

Look at years past...their list is ALWAYS a better representation of what's going on in the scene.

Not just nachos EVERYTHING!

Is Coplay back?
rogue

Postby Taco » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 pm

rogue wrote:
Not just nachos EVERYTHING!

Is Coplay back?

Please don't bring back this quote - the memory is still too tender, too recent, too...fresh.
Taco
Forum Addict

Postby defactobrigade » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:48 pm

Archipants wrote:
I may have been longwinded with how I explained everything, but it's like I'm talking to 15 year olds on this fucking board.

Funny, every one of your posts looks like a 13 year old texted it on their cellphone. Did you type these on your cellphone? Wait, you probably don't have one. You probably INSIST on using a rotary land line.

Most of you have no idea how the industry works, so sorry for explaining every little bit of it. I assumed if I didn't I'd be attacked for something that I didn't explain enough/elaborate enough on. Still got you to read the whole damn thing and post about it (and then you said that you actually agreed with the points)....so I guess I don't get yr point other than you thought I was too long-winded. Okay. So I was too long-winded. Doesn't mean I didn't bring up a shit-ton of valid points.

Blah, blah, blah... self-righteous garbage... blah, blah, blah.

So the biggest problem you have with my posts is the grammar?
Okay. I can handle that.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sule » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:49 pm

oh boy bobby, you sure got zinged with that rotary phone comment. i bet your face is so red.
nothing bobby is saying is self righteous. he owns and operates a record label. it's just shit he's gotta know.

DER. :roll:
sule
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 pm

sule wrote:oh boy bobby, you sure got zinged with that rotary phone comment. i bet your face is so red.
nothing bobby is saying is self righteous. he owns and operates a record label. it's just shit he's gotta know.

DER. :roll:

You're totally right - the guy who owns and operates a record label that sells a lot of vinyl is in no way being self-righteous when he loudly proclaims you gotta be signed to a label and vinyl is the one true way.

Also - the New York Times recently posted a great article about tacos for the holidays right here - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/health/nutrition/tacos-for-the-holidays-recipes-for-health.html - it's the best goddamn article I'VE seen about the holidays all year and all you fucking 15 year olds probly dont understand how sandwhiches are OUT and tacos are IN but that's ok, those of us in the KNOW know.
Taco
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Madison Music