MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ruth's Chris

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Ruth's Chris

Postby mikeyk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 am

Where are you going up north?

Give me an area and I'll be glad to give you some great recommendations. Yes, there are the tourist traps. They're the TGIF's of the North. But there's some awesome gems. It's like anywhere else...you have to ask around a little.
mikeyk

Postby NullDevice » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:18 pm

I tend to be up in the Eagle River-ish area. Biggest problem I have is that whenever I find a good place, by the next time I'm there they've either closed or changed hands and the quality suffers. Turnover for anything other than a few longtime stalwarts (Blink Bonnie's in St. Germain and Eagle Waters have been around since the Paleolithic age) is kind of ludicrous in that area. My fav pizza place went through 4 owners in three years.

The tribulations of the tourist town.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Ever been to the Guide's Inn in Boulder Junction? Haven't been up there myself for a few years, but they always had great food in the past.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby radtek » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:49 pm

In Presque Isle, WI there is a great supper club on Hwy W. Skyview Lodge. We vacation every year up there for about a week and do not eat anywhere else for dinner. They used to only serve dinner, but over the years have broadened to breakfast and lunch as well. I have never had a bad meal there. The staff is friendly and the service is always great. If you want to go on a Friday or Saturday night, make a reservation. They seem to always offer a fresh fish on Friday in addition to the usual cod fry. Saturday is prime rib and my favorite, steak au poive.

Presque Isle is about 45 minutes north of Minocqua taking 51.

The place is up for sale, I hope whoever buys it, continues the tradition.

www.skyviewlodge.com
radtek

Postby SombreroFallout » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:48 am

The Bil-Mar Supper Club outsida Manitowoc was just down the road from us growing up. The Bil-Mar was for owner-operators Bill and Marge. Didn't seem out of the ordinary, but I was too young to know what I was lookin at.

Make the trip to the White Stag outsida Rhinelander in Sugar Camp. HS classmate has a place up there and we pass it on the way. Consistently executes a classic steakhouse menu, delivering a quality experience for diners who appreciate the genre. For decades I've also been told it'd been the only 4 star north of the stateline for ages, but archeaologists and hairsplitters can do their own research as to when that was and what it meant. Point is, somebody noticed they do it right:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/white-stag-inn-the-rhinelander
(note: the googlepage reviews were pretty neg; check the yelp link to get the flavor.) Those who know say what the White Stag does, it does well.

Turns out TDPF isn't the only one obsessed:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/tr ... wanted=all
David McAninch has a great profile of the Al-Gen Dinner Club, also of Rhinelander, in the NYTs only a month ago. The Al-Gen stands for Al and Genevieve Nelson, who built the joint back in the 30s, so perhaps hyphenated spousal monikers were a sort of tradition in misguided marketing if not a kind of disjointed feminism.
[EDIT: Having read to the end of the article, turns out hte owner of the Al-Gen sent the author down the road to the White Stag, so he reviewed that too.]

The Wisconsin Academy's mag had an article, Supper Club State, here:
http://portalwisconsin.org/supper_club_state.cfm

Apparently a documentary's been in the works:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertain ... 48774.html
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:05 pm

...perhaps hyphenated spousal monikers were a sort of tradition in misguided marketing if not a kind of disjointed feminism.

Oh, this one probably deserves a topic all its own, but how many of these hyphenated-name supper clubs can we think of?

I recall the Flor-Ada Club up in Door County in the 60s, run by Florian and Ada and identified by a big neon sign depicting a palm tree. When they split, the club turned into Florian's.

I don't think it was disjointed feminism at all. When two people buy a business and both work their fingers to the bone making it go, it's an equal partnership and everybody knows it.

Sidejack, not really hijack...
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I've driven past the White Stag dozens of times. Always wondered about it. I'll have to give it a shot sometime!
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mikeyk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:11 pm

snoqueen wrote:
...perhaps hyphenated spousal monikers were a sort of tradition in misguided marketing if not a kind of disjointed feminism.

Oh, this one probably deserves a topic all its own, but how many of these hyphenated-name supper clubs can we think of?

I recall the Flor-Ada Club up in Door County in the 60s, run by Florian and Ada and identified by a big neon sign depicting a palm tree. When they split, the club turned into Florian's.

I don't think it was disjointed feminism at all. When two people buy a business and both work their fingers to the bone making it go, it's an equal partnership and everybody knows it.

Sidejack, not really hijack...

SnoQueen! Hey, weren't you the person I got the stove/oven from for my cabin? It's still going strong! And...from time to time, I take my vintage 1960's steak plates and broil some nice chuck steaks on them in the broiler...Mmm-mm--mmmm. Better than Ruth's Chris! :D
mikeyk

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Hey, I just remembered that a couple days ago and wondered if you were still up in the Unabomber shack. Always made me happy to imagine the whole scene.

For the mystified: Due to some long-forgotten Forum conversation I ended up giving this guy a small, totally operable, non-electric gas (propane-convertible) cookstove. You can't buy those any more, I happened to have one, he came and picked it up for free, something nice stayed out of the junkyard, and everyone was happier.

I think you even posted a pic of the stove in the cabin later on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby someone else » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:13 pm

If you haven't heard of Neesvig's in Windsor, you haven't lived. I'm serious, the best CAB Rib Eye I have ever tasted.
someone else
Forum Addict

Postby mikeyk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 am

snoqueen wrote:Hey, I just remembered that a couple days ago and wondered if you were still up in the Unabomber shack. Always made me happy to imagine the whole scene.

For the mystified: Due to some long-forgotten Forum conversation I ended up giving this guy a small, totally operable, non-electric gas (propane-convertible) cookstove. You can't buy those any more, I happened to have one, he came and picked it up for free, something nice stayed out of the junkyard, and everyone was happier.

I think you even posted a pic of the stove in the cabin later on.

It's still a weekend place. I lived there for a while...just long enough to figure out that I don't want to live there alone. It was fun, and a good experience. The stove has performed wonderfully, many a delicious meal has been prepared on it, along with heating water for showers and dishes and finishing off batches of maple syrup. Can't thank you enough, SnoQueen.

My girlfriend informs me of a couple of great places for steak up in the Door County area...she's from Sturgeon Bay. Will report.
mikeyk

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews