MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: Acclaimed Artist that you just can't get

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm

rrnate wrote:IMO, the good thing about Bruce is the E-Street Band.

That's totally backwards. The good thing about The E-Street Band is Springsteen.

Can you imagine those guys backing anybody else? I'm hardly the first person to point out that The E Street Band are greater than the sum of their parts -- they get over on team spirit as much as actual musicianship, and that's all coming from leader Bruce. And while I've always liked Nebraska quite a lot for what it is, I agree that Bruce is best when whipping his boys into a frenzy over songs that, if you think about it, are less anthemic than they're all pretending.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Springsteen is nothing but an East coast Johnny Cougar.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Except Mellencamp is about 10 million times more entertaining.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:06 pm

I saw Mellencamp at Farm Aid '98. Man did that Hoosier put on a show. I was prepared to hate the set, and I loved it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:IMO, the good thing about Bruce is the E-Street Band.

That's totally backwards. The good thing about The E-Street Band is Springsteen.

Can you imagine those guys backing anybody else? I'm hardly the first person to point out that The E Street Band are greater than the sum of their parts -- they get over on team spirit as much as actual musicianship, and that's all coming from leader Bruce. And while I've always liked Nebraska quite a lot for what it is, I agree that Bruce is best when whipping his boys into a frenzy over songs that, if you think about it, are less anthemic than they're all pretending.

While they're by no means amazing players (except for maybe Roy Bittan), IMO the best thing about most of their stuff is the arrangements. That's WHY they can get away with pretending the stuff is more anthemic than it really is. (Hell, the Boss barely knows how to write an actual chorus. "Born In The USA", I'm looking at YOU.)

I think Nebraska is pretty weak because it lacks the good arranging - not to say it doesn't have it's parts, but dude isn't by any means the most musical part of the band and without the arrangements, the songs are revealed for what they are - very, very repetitive (musically).

And then also, yeah, I can totally imagine the E-Streeters backing other people - they've backed tons of folks. According to their Wikipedia page (which I visit weekly, 'cause, why not?) they've backed: "The band has also recorded (both individually and as a band) with a wide range of other artists including Bob Dylan, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Air Supply, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Nicks, Tom Morello, Sting, Ian Hunter, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Spector, Gary U.S. Bonds, Darlene Love, Southside Johnny, the Grateful Dead, Santana, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Tracy Chapman, Lady Gaga, and Aretha Franklin." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Street_Band
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 pm

I thought Springsteen and Melloncougarcamp were front men with different accents for some guy who masterminded different traveling concert shows highlighting overwrought arrangements of bar band songs he's stolen and turned into a goldmine.

Kinda like Trans-Siberian Orchestra without the Christmas music and it works all year long.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 pm

rrnate wrote:And then also, yeah, I can totally imagine the E-Streeters backing other people - they've backed tons of folks. According to their Wikipedia page (which I visit weekly, 'cause, why not?) they've backed: "The band has also recorded (both individually and as a band) with a wide range of other artists including Bob Dylan, Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, Air Supply, Dire Straits, David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Nicks, Tom Morello, Sting, Ian Hunter, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Spector, Gary U.S. Bonds, Darlene Love, Southside Johnny, the Grateful Dead, Santana, Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Tracy Chapman, Lady Gaga, and Aretha Franklin." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Street_Band

Wow. That's some list. Was that all at one Grammy's, or did they spread it out over a couple Saturday Night Lives, a Kennedy Honors, and some sort of charity recording? (Pretty sure some of those -- like Meat Loaf, f'rinstance -- are just session work for some of the guys, not full-on band gigs either.)

I'm trying to think if I want to hear any of those people backed by The E Stre... nope. Sure don't. (And I've heard the Love and some of the Bonds stuff.) Granted, some of those match-ups make sense, but gawsh, I'm already getting sleepy just thinking about it...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 pm

minicat wrote:Except Mellencamp is about 10 million times more entertaining.

Yikes. I'm not a Springsteen fan, except for Nebraska's unsexy desolation, but: yikes.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 am

Maybe Springsteen is our east coast Bon Iver equivalent. Local-ish act gets national attention that most outside the region don't get. I'm not really a big Bon Iver fan and wonder if they will sound more like The Bruce in 25-30 years?

The E-Street Band members seem to get good press in all the musician sources I've read. Not sure if it's hype but they are able to bring their talents to others projects. Usually you don't get asked to do that kind of stuff if you don't play well in the sand box. So I guess they are nice people.

Mellencamp's success, IMHO, is directly related to Kenny Aronoff's killer beats. Kenny played those songs into the hits that they became. His sound and feel is like gold.
hellogoodbye

Postby scratch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:42 am

hellogoodbye wrote:Maybe Springsteen is our east coast Bon Iver equivalent. Local-ish act gets national attention that most outside the region don't get

Well, sure, except that Springsteen's entry into the national spotlight was accompanied by Rolling Stone reviewer Jon Landau calling him "the future of rock and roll."

Landau, it should be remembered, also tried to bring the MC5 to mainstream commercial success. Great band, but hardly mainstream or commercial.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Granted, I'm clearly not the most hip person on this forum...

I don't get Gaga who looks like an updated Madonna
Rap, hip-hop, whatever you call it
Commercial crap sold as "pop" culture
Whomever is the blonde of the moment :roll: reinforced with sound backups and tech enhancements

Call it what you will, most of the stuff marketed today is sold by pre-packaged persons who have "the look" and/or recording CEO's, not by musicians. These are commercials to sell a product, NOT artists. One can make a lot of money as a commercial artist, and maybe some fun music to listen to, but that does not make them an artist or musician.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:04 pm

scratch wrote:Well, sure, except that Springsteen's entry into the national spotlight was accompanied by Rolling Stone reviewer Jon Landau calling him "the future of rock and roll."

Exactly. Every time I hear Springsteen, I have the same reaction as Charlie Babbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-xUPSm8tc
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Lily wrote:Granted, I'm clearly not the most hip person on this forum...

I don't get Gaga who looks like an updated Madonna
Rap, hip-hop, whatever you call it
Commercial crap sold as "pop" culture
Whomever is the blonde of the moment :roll: reinforced with sound backups and tech enhancements

Call it what you will, most of the stuff marketed today is sold by pre-packaged persons who have "the look" and/or recording CEO's, not by musicians. These are commercials to sell a product, NOT artists. One can make a lot of money as a commercial artist, and maybe some fun music to listen to, but that does not make them an artist or musician.

Gaga is awesome.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 pm

And apparently Justin Vernon has a burgeoning career as a bartender, if the cover of last week's Isthmus is any indication.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am

Steely Dan, dont get it.
Bruce S, nope
Mellencamp, nope.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Music