MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Moses "high" when he found the 10 commandments

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Moses "high" when he found the 10 commandments

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:50 pm

If Natural Rights are not universal (apply to every human being) and inalienable (cannot be totally denied to any human being), then how do they differ from plain old non-natural rights?

Does the term Natural Rights have any meaning for you?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 pm

kurt_w wrote:It's also supposed to be the highest mountain...

Heh. And who said it was the highest mountain? Not the writers of The Bible and not Moses (who supposedly was the writer of The Torah, which is a pretty neat trick since he dies before it's done.) No, this particular claim was made by one Titus Flavius Josephus who, it turns out, didn't have any better of an idea where Sinai was (or if it even existed) than anyone else -- he just assumed the tallest mountain around the maybe-not-fictional location where some old book claimed some shit happened 1200+ years ago must be the most important one.

So apparently, the guy from the OP isn't the world's first shitty historian. I smell a series. Would anyone else watch True Histories of Untrue Stories?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 pm

So, basically, you're saying there is no evidence that Moses was figuratively or literally high when he met his maker in the Sinai.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:18 am

Dangerousman wrote:Henry, I know you're have a difficult time grasping this. You seem to think that an inalienable and universal right cannot be violated. It can. Even you suggested there would be circumstances when you would violate that natural right to free speech.

Let me put it this way. The law of gravity applies universally. But if you were hanging over a cliff, grasping my hand, the law of gravity would not be changed by my choice of whether to hold you or let you go.

My willingness to violate a natural right to bear arms under certain circumstances is not one bit different than your willingness to violate a natural right to free speech under certain circumstances.

Personally, I believe that ultimately the concept of "natural rights" is a fiction, but it was used as a basis for the Constitution. So I made my argument from the perspective of the framers of the Constitution. I believe the universe is, in reality, morally neutral; and that all values are reducible to aesthetic (and subjective) values only.

That ought to give your philosophy-minored self something to mull over. Have fun with it and be careful out there.
Here's your problem, Mr. D. The natural right is to be safe and secure in your movements. If guns didn't exist, but rather another form of self defense, your right would be the same right to exercise self-defense with whatever form is available. And why is there a natural right for self-defense? It's the right to be safe and secure in your movements. Therefor this right to be safe precedes all other loose interpretations, in a sane world.

If a gun gives you that right, so be it. But when relaxed rules allow criminals, terrorists and the unstable to carry guns, then the right to bear arms disappears completely.

As you said, you insist on easy access to guns regardless of how that endangers other people. That's all anyone needs to know about your position right now until the NRA propaganda wears off and you can start thinking in a rational way.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 am

JFC! Yet another thread polluted by gun control bullshit.

Take it to one of your dozens of previous threads, guys. I want to hear more about biblical hallucinations.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:11 am

One of my personal favorites...
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 am

So, Moses was smelling something other than the roses?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm

O.J. wrote:So, Moses was smelling something other than the roses?

Moses supposes his toeses are roses,
But Moses supposes erroneously
Moses imposes his noses on toeses,
Inhaling some doses, noxiously

Hooptie doodie doodle!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:34 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
O.J. wrote:So, Moses was smelling something other than the roses?

Moses supposes his toeses are roses,
But Moses supposes erroneously
Moses imposes his noses on toeses,
Inhaling some doses, noxiously

Hooptie doodie doodle!

and a zippidydoodoo bop-bop-bop to boot.
Man, that would be sweet if Moses had changed his name to Mr. Bop-bop-bop!
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Headlines