MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Downton Abbey

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Downton Abbey

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 am

Season 2 starts Sunday night on PBS.

Season 1 (7 episodes) is on Netflix if you didn't catch it last year.

Anyone else watch?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Downton Abbey

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 am

Has PBS cut two hours from season two, as it did from season one? I can't see watching it on broadcast if so. I'll wait for the streams.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:50 pm

I was curious about the trimming, too. Are the Netflix ones the full length?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 pm

These last few days I've been watching what appears to be the uncut season one, seven episodes, on Amazon Prime. Surely that's what Netflix has. The whole thing is a little confusing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote: The whole thing is a little confusing.

What's confusing Ken?
Yes, Amazon Prime & Netflix streaming catalogs overlap in most cases.

BTW - I downloaded and watched the Christmas episode that aired on the BBC a week ago. Very good, but don't see it unless you've seen all of Season 2. Major spoilers. :wink:
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm

jammybastard wrote:What's confusing Ken?

That PBS cuts two hours from a British series because Americans don't know what an entail is, except apparently British viewers also don't know what an entail is but are somehow able to figure it out. That PBS broadcasts the cut show in four 90-minute episodes but releases what seems to be the uncut series to video in seven episodes, because apparently Americans can handle not knowing what an entail is if they're watching a stream.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Ken, at the bottom of that article there is a reply from PBS, they only cut 35 min. If it were 2 hours that I missed I would make an effort to get one of the alternate versions, but for 35 min I'll just deal with it.

In response to the above article:
'You were wrong last Sunday to say Masterpiece on PBS is
downsizing Downton Abbey by two hours because of the allegedly short
attention span of Americans. As with virtually all our co-productions,
Downton Abbey was edited for our commercial-free time slot. Approximately
35 minutes came out of more than seven hours and the cuts were made in the
UK by the original producers. None of the characters, themes, or plotlines
(including about the "entail" inheritance law) was eliminated. We have
hundreds of talented colleagues in the UK whose work we showcase in the U.S. Any impression that we violate their work would be disrespectful and just plain
wrong.'
Rebecca Eaton
Executive Producer, Masterpiece on PBS

pds

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Oh! That will teach me to scroll down. So sorry about the mistake. Thanks for the correction.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Well that explains it. I thought there was an explanation of the fortune hunting Lords when I watched the 1st episode on PBS; re-watching on Netflix there is none, and the discussions of entail are more frequent/in-depth that what I remembered.

Perhaps there will be more editing of season 2, but I do hope to watch the entire thing on PBS this time.

Huge cast and everyone is so so good.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 am

Slate.com has a TV Club on this show, interesting discussions:
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_c ... ular_.html
Tho I particularly enjoyed this article about how Downton addresses true male emotions better than most programs. The (male) author was getting over a breakup and was floundering for ways to deal with it when he discovered the show. As a female with a large emotional support group I never really thought about this, but it makes total sense.
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... ingle.html

The article states:
What many have derided as the era’s repression I saw as exacting a major upside: the lovers and beloveds of the time engaged in a scrupulous self-examination whose central quest was to be worthy of love. Furthermore, for the men, avoiding that quest—risking nothing in love out of fear, or apathy, or difficulty—was the true emasculation.

I watched the entire season stunned. The sitcom buffoonery or shoulder-shrugging boyishness that defines today’s adult men was nowhere to be found. Neither was the prideful cluelessness that husbands, boyfriends, fathers, even our political leaders, embrace in order to be seen as “just guys.”

Maybe this is part of the reason so many people, make and female alike are connecting with this show. I have my Tivo all set for it!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby EBL » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:18 am

I agree Season II (at least the premier) was disappointing, but I still thought Downton Abbey worth watching. Cutting anything is probably a bad idea. The editing style this year is choppy enough already.
EBL

Postby rrnate » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:33 am

Counterpoint - this show is awful. Having made it a little under halfway through Season 2, I'm so very done with it. My gripes are numerous, and specific:

1. Plotting - good god, this show is the very definition of creaky plot. There is not one goddamn plot point that isn't convoluted in some way, shape or form.

2. Characterization - as a rule, all characters fall victim to the creaky plot. There are some nice character touches throughout, but they seem to be uniformly forgotten when the shitty plot comes around.

3. Timeline - I realize I was watching the NetFlix version so maybe this is a bit to do with edits, but certainly isn't all of it - the amount of time they jump forward in timeline really softens and ruins a lot of the things they expect to have big impact.

4. Obvious fondness for British Class System and it's rich people - Julian Fellows is a dink. 'Nuff said here.

5. Bates and the blond chamber maid - UGH. This would be so much more effective if they had one actually happy couple instead of creating a plotline halfway out of Passions. So stupid.

6. Teeth - I want some nasty fucking teeth. Put a set of fake chompers on someone, godddamn it.

7. Maggie Smith - Haughty just ain't enough.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Saw it once. Kept reminding me of Upstairs, Downstairs.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Return to TV