MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Anybody thoughts on this NDAA thingy?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Anybody thoughts on this NDAA thingy?

Postby David Marshall » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 pm

It seems that we may indeed be screwed, pick which side you do within this duopoly and get (more or less) the same results...over time.

http://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/NDAA

This seems to be an American issue, not partisan. Or are my expectations of US Constitutional law and the concept of Country as wacky as Donald Rumsfeld once suggested aspects of the Geneva Conventions on torture were "quaint"?

It seems that this "new world order" narrative is very much alive and is ever hardening, and at the same time it sadly is becoming easier to understand how it has been and is put to work. I don't know what psychiatrists call this catch22 but it is not an easy place.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Re: Anybody thoughts on this NDAA thingy?

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Since it was Obama that signed the law we won't hear a peep from the Madison liberals about it, but rest assured they would be crying bloody murder if it was a Republican president that was in the White House.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Since it was Obama who signed the law we won't hear the end of it from the Madison conservatives, but rest assured they would be silent as a church mouse if it were a Republican president in the White House.

Fixed the sentiment for you, and the grammar as well.

You're welcome!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Since it was Obama that signed the law we won't hear a peep from the Madison liberals about it, but rest assured they would be crying bloody murder if it was a Republican president that was in the White House.

How about this-- I think it's a thoroughly disgraceful act and represents a major failing for Obama, who campaigned on ending this type of inhuman and illegal treatment.

Now, are you planning on a thoughtful post supporting NDAA?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Detritus wrote:Since it was Obama who signed the law we won't hear the end of it from the Madison conservatives

Do you have an link to where Madison conservatives are commenting about this or are you just making shit up?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Since it was Obama that signed the law we won't hear a peep from the Madison liberals about it, but rest assured they would be crying bloody murder if it was a Republican president that was in the White House.

Oh, Peanutbutter - you lovable scamp, you.

If it weren't for strawmen arguments, what the fuck would you ever have to say?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:42 pm

I find the passage of NDAA very disappointing. I was also disappointed that much of the debate in the media and internet was over whether NDAA permitted the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. Left largely unchallenged was the idea that indefinite detention of non-citizens was an acceptable use of government power. I don't care where someone was born or what they have been accused of doing - human beings deserve due process.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:48 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:I find the passage of NDAA very disappointing. I was also disappointed that much of the debate in the media and internet was over whether NDAA permitted the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. Left largely unchallenged was the idea that indefinite detention of non-citizens was an acceptable use of government power. I don't care where someone was born or what they have been accused of doing - human beings deserve due process.

Exactly.

If for nothing else, Roberto Gonzales deserves to burn in hell for calling the Geneva Convention 'quaint.'

Of course, there's all that other shit he did. Maybe Satan can burn him extra crispy.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:Since it was Obama that signed the law we won't hear a peep from the Madison liberals about it.

Well this story hasn't exactly taken the media by storm. Truth be told I consider myself a Madison liberal, my point was that this story has a sort of non-partisan "appeal". Beyond that the vine of this narrative passes back several decades through our duopoly. So whose running the show here any way? That's a question I've been losing sleep over lately.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
Detritus wrote:Since it was Obama who signed the law we won't hear the end of it from the Madison conservatives

Do you have an link to where Madison liberals are remaining silent about this or are you just making shit up?

I iz in yor quotes, fixin stuffs.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:14 pm

What disturbs me about this is when signing the bill, Obama made a whole big announcement about how he wasn't going to detain citizens willy-nilly, etc.

Well, even if he lives up to that the whole thing about laws is they outlive presidents. Some other president down the line may not be as nicey-nicey in the way he applies the NDAA. And that's the scary part -- it's right there ready and waiting to be used in a very heavy-handed manner.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:What disturbs me about this is when signing the bill, Obama made a whole big announcement about how he wasn't going to detain citizens willy-nilly, etc.

Well, even if he lives up to that the whole thing about laws is they outlive presidents. Some other president down the line may not be as nicey-nicey in the way he applies the NDAA. And that's the scary part -- it's right there ready and waiting to be used in a very heavy-handed manner.

If he were serious about the whole thing about laws, he wouldn't have signed it in the first place.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DavidFreedomFighter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 am

As to "Peanutbutter", I don't think the liberals have much to be concerned about. They have gone way to far right to need to worry. I as a radical am worried. I'm the one that may end up as one of their targets. Why do we have to keep on giving up our freedom to protect us from people who only hate because we'er fucking up their countries to steal their resources. If we quit screwing them they will leave us alone. It's time we stopped messing with their governments to get cheap oil and minerals. We need to invest in coming up our own. Then we can get rid of this police state mentality.
DavidFreedomFighter

Postby wack wack » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:27 am

The only way you haven't seen any liberals complain about this is if you haven't read a single other thread anywhere.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines