MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Temperatures in the 50's in January in Wisconsin?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Temperatures in the 50's in January in Wisconsin?

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Don't think I've ever seen such a mild January in Madison as this year. Not that I mind. Normally we're perilously skating on icy sidewalks in below-zero wind chills this time of year. I know we'll eventually get hammered with a big snow fall--this IS Wisconsin--but it just feels odd. Not good for winter sports either. Hard to ice skate on water, ski when there's no snow, or ice fish when there's no ice! I love a good snowfall. In the meantime, however, I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Temperatures in the 50's in January in Wisconsin?

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm

So, what do you think? Like this weather or bring on the snow?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:04 am

I would not shed a tear if I did not have to use my snowblower this year.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:08 am

The first or second week of April would be a great time for our first really significant snow fall.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:35 am

I'd like to see some real snow. But I'm going on record with my prediction that we aren't going to get any. Not even enough to track a cat, all the way through.

I think there's a fifty-fifty chance that any of the lakes will freeze over so I'm not going to predict that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 pm

There's going to be low lake, river, and water table levels this summer if this keeps up. Think on that.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I got to go golfing yesterday, so hell yes, keep that snow away.

As for lower water tables, not so fast my friend. The amount of precipitation for December was a little ABOVE normal. However since the average temp was almost 7 degrees above normal, it mostly came down as liquid, or melted right away. So I think lake and river levels will be just fine.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Where's your klimate change talk now, huh?

I mean, uh, yeah. Sure is warm out.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:There's going to be low lake, river, and water table levels this summer if this keeps up. Think on that.

I'm praying for rain...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm loving this weather - cool enough to wear a sweater, but not so cold that it just hurts to be outside.

I remember getting the old Penney's catalogues when I was a kid, and looking at the models in their fancy short winter coats and stylish scarves, standing around looking comfy. None of them had bright red, snot-streaked faces. That's the kind of winter I've always wanted, and we finally have one.

Course, I fully expect something horrible to happen to make up for this. Maybe Lake Monona will burst forth with a live volcano this spring.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:51 pm

jjoyce wrote:Where's your klimate change talk now, huh?

I mean, uh, yeah. Sure is warm out.

Klimate Kooks Korrect, eh? Actually, the huge Arctic pool of cold air seems to have settled in over Central Russia. They are welcome to keep it.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

The world climate fluctuates on it's own cycle and I hope we see some snow soon. That's not to deny that global warming is a fact and we need to reign in the use of fossil fuels. I missed the snow around the Holidays. Have to admit, I really enjoy going for a walk when the air is icy cold and fresh and the snow is crunching underfoot.
Last edited by Lily on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Lily wrote:I keep joking about the kooks who thought the comet was "taking them home" and they committed suicide.

One of those who took his own life used to live next door to me. His mother still lived there when he died. The next day after the mass suicide I got a call from a Washington Post reporter looking for background info. I asked her how she got my name and number. She said she was part of a large team of reporters who were working on the story and was given my contact information. I declined to say anything more to her, telling her I was more concerned for the grieving mom. The reporter said she understood and that ended the conversation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Lily wrote:I keep joking about the kooks who thought the comet was "taking them home" and they committed suicide.

One of those who took his own life used to live next door to me. His mother still lived there when he died. The next day after the mass suicide I got a call from a Washington Post reporter looking for background info. I asked her how she got my name and number. She said she was part of a large team of reporters who were working on the story and was given my contact information. I declined to say anything more to her, telling her I was more concerned for the grieving mom. The reporter said she understood and that ended the conversation.

After I made that original post I removed that part of the discussion. Must have been horrible for those unable to help their loved ones. Calling them "kooks" was my bad. Sorry.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm making the best of the weather, but I'll be very glad if and when we can get back on track with the bitter cold and piles of snow.

I've tried living below the snow belt. Don't like the bugs and most of the plants. When it gets to the point where Wisconsin's winters don't kill off the kind of flora and fauna that irritated the hell out of me when I lived in the south, I'll have to move north.

Although, if it happens gradually enough I guess I can handle it into my retirement years. I'll have time to apologize to my grandkids for the legacy we've left them.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All