MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Postby msnflyer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:41 am

Petersen's repub connections go back to Tommy T, he's a typical political crony working connections. He's smart but I wouldn't give him access to the henhouse.

As for Tim Russell, did he get out of the B&B biz up north? When more names come out it will be interesting to me to see if a certain 3 or 4 are on the list.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:48 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 48913.html

Most detailed summary yet.

[Milwaukee Co. DA] Chisholm said the lengthy probe was wrapping up its investigation and entering its "prosecution phase."

msnflyer, you might like this one:

http://uppitywis.org/blogarticle/tim-ru ... -treasurer

Anybody think Commenter #2 has it right?

I'm not ready to guess.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:35 pm

It appears that some of the money Russell allegedly embezzled was used to pay for Walker gubernatorial campaign website domains. See pps 19-20, et seq.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/three-charged-in-john-doe-investigation-of-walker-aides-o63mivs-136748913.html

Most detailed summary yet.

From the jsonline article:
Prosecutors accuse Russell with using the stolen money to help pay for his trip to Atlanta to attend a weekend political strategy session in December 2010 with Herman Cain and his chief of staff, Mark Block, to discuss Cain's now-defunct presidential campaign. Russell also used some of the funds, the complaint alleges, to pay to renew the domain names for several Walker gubernatorial campaign websites.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:02 am

Walker's spin is that someone in his county executive office reported the thefts. But it appears it took a long time after it was discovered that money was missing.

John Doe investigation: When was shortfall reported?

Charges announced this month against two Walker appointees raise questions about when exactly thousands of dollars in missing money meant for veterans was reported to prosecutors — and how more from the same fund allegedly was pilfered again years after the first theft occurred.

The day that news broke, Walker told reporters it was his former chief of staff in Milwaukee, Tom Nardelli, who brought concerns about the money to his attention and — with his support — asked the Milwaukee County District Attorney to investigate.

But it is unclear how long Nardelli waited to tell prosecutors about the missing money, as he learned of it in 2008 and was not interviewed until 2009 by investigators about the alleged theft.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:53 am

from the article linked above:

...vendors complained about not getting paid and about being expected to provide free services for the event. He said others complained it was like a campaign event with heavy political overtones.

"The event" was Operation Freedom, an annual veterans' event sponsored by Walker at the Milwaukee County Zoo.

Apparently when you dealt with these people, whatever you did was taken for a campaign donation whether you meant it as one or not.

Nice.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:43 am

More charges expected against Walker staffers.

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquar ... 66918.html

Walker said he has not been contacted by investigators for the Democratic district attorney but would be open to sitting down with Milwaukee County prosecutors to discuss the issues they are investigating.

"I certainly would be willing if they asked me to in the future," Walker told the Journal Sentinel's Madison bureau. "Like I said, no matter who it might be about, we'd be more than willing to in the future."

Asked if he has hired his own attorney for advice regarding the John Doe investigation, Walker declined to answer.

The repetition in that second paragraph quote sounds like desperation to me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Life in Wisconsin gets more interesting by the day. You would think the Foti/Jensen/Chvala/Burke/Ladwig/Schultz mess would have convinced those prone to conniving to clean up their acts...apparently not. Who's taking odds when the big shoe drops?
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm

snoqueen wrote:
"I certainly would be willing if they asked me to in the future," Walker told the Journal Sentinel's Madison bureau. "Like I said, no matter who it might be about, we'd be more than willing to in the future."

The repetition in that second paragraph quote sounds like desperation to me.

I think his lawyer is instructing him to sound as though he's open to discussions but he should always use the phrase "in the future" so that when actually asked to sit down and talk he can say, "I will do so at some point in the future."

So "in the future" actually means, "when I'm subpoenaed."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am

keelio wrote:Life in Wisconsin gets more interesting by the day. You would think the Foti/Jensen/Chvala/Burke/Ladwig/Schultz mess would have convinced those prone to conniving to clean up their acts...apparently not. Who's taking odds when the big shoe drops?

This all sounds a lot like most of it happened before Scotty decided to run.

I suppose it's possible that somebody on his staff might have wondered "Do you suppose any of that stuff we did over the last couple years might bite us in the ass later if we run for guv?"

Pause.

Nah.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:21 am

Complaint Gives Details On Secret Investigation

Gov. Scott Walker's spokesman was frequently mentioned in a criminal complaint against a former county workers accused in a secret corruption investigation.

One of the women, Kelly Rindfleisch, is accused of emailing Cullen Werwie numerous times on county time while he was campaign manager for Brett Davis, an unsuccessful GOP candidate for lieutenant governor in 2010. Werwie is now Walker's spokesman.

She allegedly asked Werwie to send campaign documents to others because she didn't want her name on it.

Werwie was given immunity in the case.

Because Werwie was granted immunity for his testimony, he is what is commonly called an unindited co-conspirator.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:47 am

jman111 wrote:Two more staffers face charges.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 3ce6c.html

From the Wisconsin State Journal report:
Charges filed Thursday in the ongoing John Doe investigation into former and current aides of Gov. Scott Walker allege a pattern of illegal fundraising and what appears to be a systemic avoidance of campaign laws by Walker's inner circle.

The new allegations bring the total number of people criminally charged in the John Doe investigation to six.

Investigators said another member of County Executive Walker's inner circle, Russell, was responsible for setting up the secret computer system that was used to conceal the fundraising.

The wireless Internet system was, according to the complaints, "never disclosed to county employees outside a closely held group within the Walker administration."

It was so secret that even the county director of information management services was not aware it existed, meaning that even an open records request would not have uncovered the fundraising efforts.

Whomever runs against Walker will have plenty of fodder for campaign ads.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 am

Actually, here's the motherlode as far as reporting goes:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 59264.html

Leading: Darlene Wink cuts a deal and seems to be singing her head off.

Landgraf wrote... she has "valuable information" that might be needed in future cases. She already has given investigators information on the destruction of some unspecified digital evidence.

"Her truthful testimony in this regard is a thing of value to the State of Wisconsin," Landgraf wrote.

If you recall, Walker's people destroyed all the files before he left office in Milwaukee. This was reported at the time and left a lot of raised eyebrows but only now does it come home to roost.

The existence of a secret email and communications network (to sidestep FOIA requests) in Milwaukee County offices is revealed.

And the names are getting bigger:

The complaint reveals that search warrants were executed on Walker's county office on Nov. 1, 2010, the day before the gubernatorial election. Previously, it was known search warrants were served on his campaign that day, but not his county office.

...many top Walker aides and associates have testified in the John Doe. Among them are Villa, Walker's former chief of staff; Huebsch, the secretary of the state Department of Administration; and Thompson, who was Walker's deputy campaign manager and is now executive director of the state Republican Party.

Huebsch and Thompson had previously declined to discuss their involvement in the criminal probe.

No wonder Walker keeps wearing that deer-in-the-headlights look.

Have a nice weekend, people.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:And the names are getting bigger:

...many top Walker aides and associates have testified in the John Doe. Among them are Villa, Walker's former chief of staff; Huebsch, the secretary of the state Department of Administration; and Thompson, who was Walker's deputy campaign manager and is now executive director of the state Republican Party.

If Huebsch is involved, its no longer just a few rogue staffers.
Huebsch was named as one of the people that Rindfleisch worked with to set up fundraisers for Davis. The complaint said he didn't realize that Rindfleisch was a county employee.

Really? Color me skeptical.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government