MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Got an Xbox?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Got an Xbox?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Microsoft is investigating a report that workers at a Chinese plant that makes its Xbox game systems threatened mass suicide in a pay dispute, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the company's Hong Kong office.

They also had a bunch of suicides in 2010 because of poor working conditions.

cnn
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Got an Xbox?

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Yes, I do have an Xbox.

It's wonderful.

My favorite game is Call Of Duty: Suicide Watch.

I'm an elite American teenager whose mission is to infiltrate a Chinese electronics factory and plug as many factory workers as I can before they off themselves.

Just ten more grenade deaths and I get a free Code Red Mountain Dew avatar.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:They also had a bunch of suicides in 2010 because of poor working conditions.
Foxconn suicide rate was lower than the chinese national average, thus the correct argument would be that Foxconn working conditions actually prevented several suicides, statistically speaking.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Love watching libertarians go out of their way to defend communist Chinese companies.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm just talking about the facts, jackass. I'd rather that Chinese people find work at a party-controlled factory in a semi-modern manufacturing environment than starve on subsistence diets doing farm labor in the hinterlands.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:23 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Love watching libertarians go out of their way to defend communist Chinese companies.

Foxconn is a Taiwanese company. The plants are in the PRC and the workers are PRC, but the management and the controlling ownership is Taiwanese.

Fun fact: Taiwan is having a presidential election this weekend.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sabuye » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

sabuye

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:28 pm

I'd rather that Chinese people find work at a party-controlled factory in a semi-modern manufacturing environment than starve on subsistence diets doing farm labor in the hinterlands.

And it seems you'd rather American people starve on subsistence diets doing farm labor in the hinterlands than find work building a bridge or train paid for by our democratic government.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:They also had a bunch of suicides in 2010 because of poor working conditions.
Foxconn suicide rate was lower than the chinese national average, thus the correct argument would be that Foxconn working conditions actually prevented several suicides, statistically speaking.

Did this guy get paid to write this article?

I'm curious what the Chinese national suicide rate is for employed vs. unemployed people.

He points out that the elderly have a much higher rate, the numbers for men and women, then draws a conclusion about suicides in the work place. Hmm.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:35 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And it seems you'd rather American people starve on subsistence diets doing farm labor in the hinterlands than find work building a bridge or train paid for by our democratic government.
Riiight... If this were 1930 you might have a point, and even then it would be a wrong one.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:48 pm

wack wack wrote:Did this guy get paid to write this article?
Probably, yes. If you think this is overly biased, this is hardly the only article on this topic.
I'm curious what the Chinese national suicide rate is for employed vs. unemployed people.

He points out that the elderly have a much higher rate, the numbers for men and women, then draws a conclusion about suicides in the work place. Hmm.
These statistics are important to consider when controlling for demographic variables in the data. For instance, since elderly suicide rates are about 50% higher than for the young, and most Foxconn workers are young, then it would be wrong to apply general-population suicide rates to the workers at Foxconn. The author chooses a slightly lower youth-suicide rate estimate (10 instead of 13-15 per 100,000) and then decides how many employees should be committing suicide, statistically speaking. Since fewer than that number actually do commit suicide, it is reasonable to argue that the suicide rate among employees at Foxconn is lower than would otherwise be for those individuals.

It is a valid question to ask whether general-population suicides are weighted toward employed/unemployed persons.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 pm

The pay dispute has been resolved: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/13/technology/foxconn-resolves-pay-dispute-with-workers.html
In a statement released Thursday, Foxconn said most of the protesting workers had agreed to return to work after negotiations were held with the company and local government officials. But details of the agreement were not released. One of the workers said they had been promised additional compensation.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby infratactix » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Yes, I do have an Xbox.

It's wonderful.

My favorite game is Call Of Duty: Suicide Watch.

For real? or is this a REALLY bad pun? :wink:
infratactix

Return to Technology & Video Games