MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Lulu's Hummus?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Lulu's Hummus?

Postby barney » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

So, Lulu's hummus was divine. I hear they have it at their new place, but I very rarely get to that side of town anymore. It used to be quite easy to pick up at their deli or in the case at Whole Foods.

Has anyone seen it anywhere else these days?

Or, does anyone have either the recipe, or a recipe for a hummus that is comparable? There was just something about theirs that was heavenly....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lulu's Hummus?

Postby pds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:35 am

I make mine with Mark Bittman's recipe - I use the full amount of cumin with a pinch of cayenne.

http://www.food.com/recipe/mark-bittmans-hummus-389760

For baba ganoush I use David Lebovitz's recipe - and grill the hell out of the eggplant. I'm normally not fond of smoke flavor, but love it here. During the summer when you are overwhelmed with eggplant, pop on a whole grill full. Grill till black, put on a platter. Then when they are cool you take off the skin, stem and seeds. You can freeze the rest to make baba ganoush all winter long.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/07/baba-ganosh/
pds

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:31 am

My hummus recipe is pretty similar but with less oil. Use one can of drained chickpeas with some of the water preserved, 1/4 c lemon juice, 1/4 cup tahini, 1 clove garlic. Blend the hell out of it in a food processor adding the water from the canned chickpeas until you get the consistancy you want. Remember it's easier to add more liquid than to remove it! Season with cumin and smoked paprika to taste, salt, whatever. I find the secret is in the processing. Lulu's is very very smooth which takes a long time to process. You can get creative with hummus, adding different fresh herbs, roasted red pepper, using different beans, whatever.
As for Baba Ganoush, my recipe is qute similar, but I add smoked paprika to mine. Nothing better than a fresh warm batch with some toasted pita chips!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:46 pm

A friend of mine from Riyadh made some hummus for me once, and it was delicious, but entirely different from any other I'd had - heavy on the tahini, and she inSISTED the chickpeas must be mashed by hand and not pureed in a blender.

I don't know just how typical it was of the region, but it sure was delicious.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 pm

I do cook my own chickpeas, and I think that makes a difference. It makes sense that if you can cook the beans softer that it is easier to create a smooth consistency. Plus I think beans from a can do have an off taste.

I've also read recipes that insist you skin each bean by hand or it will not have the right texture. For me, that won't be happening.
pds

Postby Crockett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Mine is always too 'fluffy'. Maybe not enough tahini or not the right machine. Or not blended long enough?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 pm

I always cook my own beans and skin each one. Takes about 20 minutes but well worth it. Leaving the skins on makes it gassy and weird-textured, imo. Plus they creep me out, the way they look like the dead skin off of peeled blisters.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I've never been able to replicate the taste of Lulu's hummus. It was amazing. The store-brand at Whole Foods has a bit of a similar taste, and is (relatively) inexpensive, but it's not...quite...it...

I remember trying to break down Lulu's recipe by the listed ingredients. It was all very basic stuff: no out-of-the-way spices or ingredients. So my assumption was, it got its taste from some very specific raw ingredients they got from wherever...
Kovalic

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:I always cook my own beans and skin each one. Takes about 20 minutes but well worth it.

Violet_Skye, do you have a trick for skinning the beans? I cooked up a pound and only got through half before getting tired of the chore.
I made the chickpea and leek soup recommended by anaranjado (so good I should have doubled the recipe), and the remainder are in my fridge ready for my Cuisinart and hummus ... as soon as I skin them.
I was thinking about roasting them before I blend them to create an even nuttier flavor for this batch of hummus.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fuzzywuzzy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 pm

do you have a trick for skinning the beans?

I first learned to make hummus from a Lebanese. The chickpeas are pressed through a sieve with something like a large pestle, and the skin seems to stay behind.
The pestle is also used to mash the garlic and salt together in the bottom of your bowl (the salt helps disintegrate the garlic's structure). Lemon juice and tahini are the other ingredients. I don't remember the proportions - I think the tahini and chickpeas were about 50/50.
Lulu's tahini always seemed almost the same as the old recipe, even though I hadn't made it for many years prior to tasting the Lulu's version. Whole Foods also tastes about the same to me, and I was so happy to discover it. It's ingredient list is the same 5 ingredients as in the old recipe I first described, and I just love it - can't/don't go very long without it, actually.
I didn't keep making it myself over the years after I was guessing at ingredient amounts and really screwed up with such a bad lemon juicey outcome I was actually afraid to guess again.
fuzzywuzzy

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:39 pm

I will look for a sieve like that fuzzywuzzy. I wonder if a food mill would leave the skins behind too. I found if the chickpeas are a little wet, the skin comes off easier. That was through trial and error.
I just held a few in my hand at once and squeezed off the skins one at a time.

I don't recommend roasting the chickpeas. They ended up dry, and when I blended them, they had an almost grainy texture. I like hummus smooth and fluffy. In the process of it all, my dogs were really interested in the chickpeas, and I found they liked them as a healthy treat. Who knew?

I did use some of the tahini oil that separated in the jar as well as Asian sesame oil, and those gave it a very nutty taste.

I agree the acid ratio is a delicate balance. I like lemon juice, but have seen recipes that use vinegar instead. Anyone use vinegar?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues