MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ate at Umami!

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Ate at Umami!

Postby massimo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Continuing the restaurant fire trend, it sounds like Umami had a pretty nasty kitchen fire last night. Hope they can return quickly.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Ramen at Muramoto

Postby kulgar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I heard that Shinji Muramoto started offering a weekly ramen noodle special because people were coming in and telling him they didn't like "ramen".

The creation ot the stock is the key and takes hours if not overnight to make. I personally couldn't stand noodle shops in Yokohama even though the World's Ramen Noodle Museum was two blocks from my office. The overly salted, MSG laden broth was going to kill me quickly in my estimation so I quit trying it.

And then I had a sample at Restaurant Muramoto and thought it divine. Wish I had tried something more upscale than the "noodle shop in a shipping container" that had come highly recommended when I had the chance.

Best of luck to Umami on the fire, it's a nice addition to Willy St.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Alan! wrote:
First off the pork buns, although not authentic by any means, were fantastic, well executed, great flavor. A great start to what seemed like a fantastic dinner.

The dumplings were a let down too as they had the same taste and consistency similar to ones you would buy from any asian grocery store.

Agreed to both. I did like sitting outside and overall it was a neat place. I did not get the ramen. Companion's saketini was good.

From this thread, I envisioned wizened old people running the restaurant, but it seemed entirely staffed by youngsters when we went.

The fire issue was resolved long ago, and they are back in business.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:48 am

My wyphe (sic) and I waddled across slushy grey Willy Street last night for a hot meal. The sidewalks were Bon Jovi'd so we must've looked like Kid N' Play doing their signature dance. We were first timers there so we went with the (very nice, very warm) servers's rekkos: shrimp dumplings, Korean (?) beef brisket buns, and the Tonkotsu ramen bowl. It was happy hour so we got a twofer on our beerz.

It was all very tasty, but what really stood out were the ramen noodles which were the best I've had. They (didn't) remind me of this haunted house my stuffy Lutheran church tried to put on when I was in grade school where they fill a bowl with wet noodles to pass off as brains when you blindly stick your hand in it. Peeled grapes were supposed to be eyeballs. Most people didn't know that the real horrors were lurking behind the office door of the head pastor.

But yeah, great food, great service, warm atmosphere, $34 bill total. A home-dunk for Willy Street.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews