MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Spotify: Using it?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Spotify: Using it?

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am

Another alt posted their top tracks of the year to Spotify and it seems like kind of a cool idea. Anybody using it?

I hate the commercial interruptions, because I'm a cheap bastard and haven't sent them any money.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spotify: Using it?

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:24 am

I actually pay for it now. I had to DJ a relatives wedding and didn't want to download all that crappy music. I also like having offline access on my iPhone for the car.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 am

So you use it to sort/play music, almost an iTunes function, on your phone? You don't have access to friend's playlists unless you own all that stuff yourself though, right?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:47 am

You have access to all your playlists and friends lists and anything else on Spotify over Wifi. If you want to take it offline you choose to download it on a playlist by playlist basis. So I have to decide what I want to hear in the car before I leave the house.

The thing I don't like about it is sorting. You can't. All you get are playlists. I can't choose by artist or album I have to find the playlist and scroll through it to find what I want. Same as the desktop version though. That's led me to make a folder full of playlists by artist. It also won't even alphabetize them for you which really seems like a an oversight. Hopefully they'll stop with the apps for a while and spend some time enhancing the interface.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:00 pm

I use it kinda-sorta for discovery. I'm big on African popular music, and they actually have a good and expanding catalog. Just stream on my computers, though--no monkeying with my iThingies.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Archipants » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I also pay for a subscription - a small price to pay for that much access, IMHO. It is a little frustrating that certain songs aren't available within albums.

I wish the discovery functions were a bit more robust though I think they are on the right track by adding some of those new apps. I wish those same apps were available on the mobile version - though I think they will be when they come out of beta. I agree with fisticuffs, they should perhaps put a hold on developing new apps and concentrate on improving the usability of some of the current features.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby sabuye » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 am

I use it occasionally because it has exactly what you'd want in a streaming music player: huge selection, functional design, a decent recommendation algorithm, and it's free.

I do have a couple of beefs... A) it uses a lot of memory and takes control of your sound card, and B) the artists don't make jack when you listen to their music on spotify.
sabuye

Postby wack wack » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 pm

I have a pay subscription (Rhapsody too), and I use them exclusively to preview music. If I like what I hear, I buy the CD. I read about others using these streaming services to essentially replace music ownership, but I couldn't do that. There's just a state of "completeness" I feel when I own a CD that I don't get from streaming services.

I think about getting into the "Playlist" game a lot, and others at some other forums I watch frequently post/trade playlists, but I haven't made the effort to participate yet.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 pm

I pay for it and also use http://www.sharemyplaylists.com.

I agree that there is some functionality that'd I'd like to see built but overall its pretty incredible. Almost overwhelming. I've discovered an insane amount of music on it.

Spotify is an ITunes killer if you ask me.

If the artists don't get paid why do they allow their music on it?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 pm

I thought so at first too but there's big important things it doesn't do. I can't burn a disc of my playlist and hand it to a buddy who doesn't use Spotify. I don't own or even have access to any of the music files. Sure I can buy MP3's elsewhere and have them show up right along everything else in Spotify but that still requires iTunes, Amazon or some other vendor. It's nice but it doesn't replace my music library.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

I thought so at first too but there's big important things it doesn't do. I can't burn a disc of my playlist and hand it to a buddy who doesn't use Spotify. I don't own or even have access to any of the music files. Sure I can buy MP3's elsewhere and have them show up right along everything else in Spotify but that still requires iTunes, Amazon or some other vendor. It's nice but it doesn't replace my music library.

You can share music with anyone who has an account at Spotify (which is still free for the lowest version I think).

Why do you need to own the files?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Well I have a playlist of possible cover tunes for my band. Only myself and the drummer use Spotify. If I want to give the other 3 guys a copy of the songs to learn I have to go out and buy them elsewhere.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Well I have a playlist of possible cover tunes for my band. Only myself and the drummer use Spotify. If I want to give the other 3 guys a copy of the songs to learn I have to go out and buy them elsewhere.

Makes sense. If you don't need to share actual files with others or the people with whom you do share have Spotify its amazing.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Crockett wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:

Makes sense. If you don't need to share actual files with others or the people with whom you do share have Spotify its amazing.

As long as you're satisfied with lossy sound.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 pm

I've tried to get the other guys on board thinking it could be a great tool for a cover band to have a collaborative playlist of ideas instantly available from any PC or phone but 2 of the guys don't even have internet and the one who does needs help checking his voicemail.

As long as you're satisfied with lossy sound.

I rarely get a chance to listen in an ideal setting ever anymore. Generally it's in the car where lossy really doesn't matter since everything sounds like shit off-center with wind and engine noise. If I really like something I'll buy it lossless from iTunes or on vinyl or both.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to General Music