MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Scott Walker Singing We Shall Overcome

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Scott Walker Singing We Shall Overcome

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Oh the irony! He doesn't seem as enthusiastic as Mark Miller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiENlLjluPc
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Scott Walker Singing We Shall Overcome

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm

I can't look at him.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

From Wikipedia, on the trip that resulted in Dr. King's assasination:

In March 1968, Dr. King went to Memphis, Tennessee, in support of striking African American sanitation workers. The workers had staged a walkout on February 11, 1968, to protest unequal wages and working conditions. At the time, the city of Memphis paid black workers significantly lower wages than whites. In addition, unlike their white counterparts, blacks received no pay if they stayed home during bad weather; consequently, most blacks were compelled to work even in driving rain and snow storms.

I cannot think of a single, symbolic thing that Walker has done to this point that is more offensive than that video.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Exactly.

That's why I can't look at him.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Maybe he will join the Solidarity singers next.

"The truth shall make us free, the truth shall make us free,
The truth shall make us free someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
The truth shall make us free someday.

We shall live in peace, we shall live in peace,
We shall live in peace someday;
Oh, deep in my heart, I do believe,
We shall live in peace someday."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:37 pm

What do you expect from someone like Walker who was expelled from college for cheating and unethical behavior?

He and Rebecca probably had NO idea that Reverend Martin Luther King first came to America's attention by fighting for the rights of Southern Sanitation workers to form a Union, collective bargaining, and equal rights and pay for workers. N-O-T a clue. After the past year both of them should have been ashamed to show their faces at the commemoration of Rev. Martin Luther King.

History lesson FAILED.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sabuye » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:50 am

I won't watch it... don't want to yack all over my keyboard.
sabuye

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Any clips of Walker singing this year? Was it better than last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiENlLjluPc
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I have a different reaction. I think music is transformative, so I hope that Walker might be changed by the power of "We Shall Overcome." The more he sings it, the more some of it might sink in.

Many of baby boomers grew up in conservative households and listened to and sang folk or rock music in our early teens. Because of the music and wanting to understand what was behind it, we opened ourselves up to other ideas, and to people our parents may have thought were less than desirable. I remember dissecting lyrics and trying to find out information about the civil rights movement because of folk songs. I'm over 60 now, but music, even that awful rap stuff, opens me up to ideas that I hadn't considered.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

ilikebeans wrote:From Wikipedia, on the trip that resulted in Dr. King's assasination:

In March 1968, Dr. King went to Memphis, Tennessee, in support of striking African American sanitation workers. The workers had staged a walkout on February 11, 1968, to protest unequal wages and working conditions. At the time, the city of Memphis paid black workers significantly lower wages than whites. In addition, unlike their white counterparts, blacks received no pay if they stayed home during bad weather; consequently, most blacks were compelled to work even in driving rain and snow storms.

I cannot think of a single, symbolic thing that Walker has done to this point that is more offensive than that video.

Some people would also contend that it is offensive to compare a struggle against wage discrimination and unsafe working conditions - one in which the striking workers had a reasonable expectation of being injured or killed, to a struggle by white collar workers that have a salary and benefit package that the Memphis sanitation workers would have accepted in a heartbeat.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:18 am

King award recipient's widow doesn't mince words

Fr. Groppi’s widow, Margaret Rozga, an English professor at UW-Waukesha, accepted the posthumous award and preceded to deliver a blistering speech aimed at those who would curtail voting rights, degrade union representation and harm the environment. She didn’t mention anyone by name, but her aim was unmistakable. Seated right behind her was the governor who, of course, has been a big supporter of voter ID laws, presided over the dismantling of public employee unions and is now pushing a major mining bill that environmentalists insist will despoil the state.

“These people are not in the tradition of Martin Luther King,” she declared. The governor didn’t move.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

"accepted the posthumous award and preceded to deliver a blistering speech"

Someone should fix that.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 am

but a piece of it must have been a bit uncomfortable for Gov. Scott Walker - Dave Zweifel

Governor Walker didn't appear uncomfortable at all. In fact he applauded the speech and shook hands with Margaret Rozga.

Mayor Soglin, seated right behind her, is who looked a bit uncomfortable.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 pm

That sounds about right to me. Scott Walker has always projected the "I don't give a sweet fuck what you or anybody else thinks, I'm ramming this down your damn throats, consequences be damned" kinda guy. It's sociopathic and closed minded but it seems to be what the Republicans still want.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music