MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Reco's for private dining room?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Reco's for private dining room?

Postby summerbl4ck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello! I'm looking for ideas for restaurants with private dining rooms for a relatively small family reunion this summer (20-30ppl). Maybe this subject has been covered in these forums before, but I didn't have much luck searching the archives. Any ideas welcome! And thank you!
summerbl4ck

Re: Reco's for private dining room?

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 am

According to the sign out front, Bunky's has a 'Gluten-Free Catering Party Room!'

So there's that...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Harvest has a nice one- Francesca's apparently can make one section of their dining area private. Muramoto has one in the Mark apartment building I believe? I've heard that's nice... And I think the Tornado still rents the Corral Room out for private parties.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Glass Nickel (Atwood) has a room, with bar, in the basement.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Dexter's has a decent party space in the basement with a bar.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby summerbl4ck » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:40 pm

Very good ideas, all. Thanks very much.
summerbl4ck

Postby Ttusker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Three or four years ago, I went to a very nice company Christmas party at the Kennedy Manor. There were about 30 people there, as I recall. The food was, as usual, delicious. I must confess a bias: my parents had their wedding dinner there in 1950; in 2000, my brothers and I arranged for them to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary there as well. Mom & Dad loved it, and they said very little about Kennedy Manor had changed over all those years, which was a compliment. I remember I had a really yummy Cajun-type meatloaf there that evening....
Ttusker

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Any particular type of place you're interested in? or part of town? Went to an event at Bonfyres the other week that was semi-private that was nice, they had a separate, more private, room with an event going on as well. Madison Club can handle many different group sizes, but if you aren't a member, I'm not sure how that is done.
Twigz2011

Postby bassbari » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Edgewater Admiralty Room
Brickhouse BBQ
Hilton Monona Terrace
Great Dane downtown
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

I believe The Old Fashioned makes the former L'Etoile space available for private party reservation.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Maple Bluff Country Club has beautiful views, good food and great service, and you don't have to be a member to use their facility for "parties from 4 to 500" (they just can't advertise because they're a private club). I don't know about Nakoma or Blackhawk availability to non-members. Can't recommend Cherokee, though.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Marvell wrote:According to the sign out front, Bunky's has a 'Gluten-Free Catering Party Room!'

We had a party there a couple of years ago. The ambiance is grandma's basement. However, the food was great! They also didn't charge us a room rental fee.

I think the Fountain on State Street has a room. I haven't used it, but I liked my food. Bellini has a room. It looks really cool, but I think the food is average. They do charge a room rental fee.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Samba has several private rooms, if you like meat. I don't recall that there was an extra charge--just the $35 (or whatever it is now) a head for the meal.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 am

Marigold Kitchen is only open for breakfast and lunch, so they do a fairly brisk trade in catering at night. We had a dinner event there onsite with approximately that number of people in 2002, and their food was amazing -- they roasted a chicken and stuck lemons under the skin, cooking it so that a pan of bread collected the drippings underneath and were made into a panzanella-type salad.

Considering that you'll be meeting during prime wedding season, this might be a good option out of the usual options.

Manna Cafe has another back room. That might be a little small, but they've been known to open after hours for private parties, so maybe you could use a little more space. Their catering is fantastic as well.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jtmehrin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

The Vintage on Whitney Way has nice private party room as well.
jtmehrin

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews