MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

New grocery choices

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

New grocery choices

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Grocery business awakens in area

Metcalfe is particularly excited about the meat department, which will be a throwback to the days of his grandfather, who operated a store for decades in the Milwaukee area and butchered whole animals. The new store will receive sides of beef and hogs. Customers will select their cuts from the display case.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New grocery choices

Postby Igor » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:21 am

Glad to see that the HyVee stores are going to get underway. I have to think that the Copps on Whitney Way, and possibly the one on McKee, may not last.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 am

Igor wrote:Glad to see that the HyVee stores are going to get underway. I have to think that the Copps on Whitney Way, and possibly the one on McKee, may not last.

That, or those Copps will have to lower their prices to meet the competition.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

That's good news about Hy-Vee and Westgate. Westgate is effing depressing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:That's good news about Hy-Vee and Westgate. Westgate is effing depressing.

Agreed. That area is ripe for redevelopment. No reason why it shouldn't succeed, being in a high traffic area with lots of solid middle class neighborhoods nearby.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 am

I also wonder if Whole Foods regrets having abandoned their plans for the Hilldale store back in 2008.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 am

Wish the east side would get some love.
I do really like HyVee, but would like to see Whole Foods, or Trader Joes, or Metcalfes look at near east side sites, like the old Kohls site on East Wash and Milwaukee St. Emerson is an up and coming neighborhood, not too far from Tenney Park/Maple Bluff.
I think there's a market for upscale grocery over on our side of town too....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

It would be interesting to see the research on how much closer (or less busy) a smaller store has to be for it to take business from a Woodman's.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

barney wrote:Wish the east side would get some love.
I do really like HyVee, but would like to see Whole Foods, or Trader Joes, or Metcalfes look at near east side sites, like the old Kohls site on East Wash and Milwaukee St.
Well, you do have Willy St Coop fairly nearby. How about we trade you for our Whole Foods, location for location?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I love the lunch at Hy-Vee. Inexpensive and always filling. Quite the selection also. We go often on the east side from work, but it would be nice to have on the west side closer to home for evenings and weekends.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Jenifer Street Market has a great meat department and good deli section. The rotisserie chickens are still a bargain for takeout dinner.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 pm

fennel wrote:
barney wrote:Wish the east side would get some love.
I do really like HyVee, but would like to see Whole Foods, or Trader Joes, or Metcalfes look at near east side sites, like the old Kohls site on East Wash and Milwaukee St.
Well, you do have Willy St Coop fairly nearby. How about we trade you for our Whole Foods, location for location?

The location is the problem. I used to shop at Willy when I was within walking distance. Now that we live in another neighborhood, their growing pains are painfully obvious. They would be another great option for that space, but I doubt they can handle another expansion at this point, especially one requiring a build. Hence, the omission.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:38 am

Does Hyvee offer double coupon days and/or a fuel purchasing savings program? I'm a Copps on Whitney shopper, but am curious about Hyvee. I ate lunch at the one of the East side once, but haven't checked anything else out about them.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:47 am

No frills at HyVee, but they DO have a good website where you can see what's on sale. We have converted from mostly Copps to mostly HyVee for our essentials shopping, and so far aren't feeling too much of a pinch in the wallet.

If you use a lot of gas and/or coupons, though, Copps may be a better bet for you.

We DO have a punch card for deli meat from the HyVee provider - buy 10 pounds, get 1 free, now that I think about it.

But you don't need to scan a card at checkout to get the low prices.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Hyvee vs. Woodmans

Off the bat, they are both employee-owned companies. I like that. I usually save a little more at Woodmans, so I go there most often. But if I want really fresh produce, esp. in winter, I go to Hyvee. The Pick & Save (same deals as Copps) in Stoughton is only comparable to Woodmans when P&S is having a sale. Otherwise they are anywhere from $.50 to $1 more per item. A total rip-off. I rarely grocery shop in my small town due to higher prices and a poor selection on everything. I have done research on this.

Hyvee pluses:

WAY better produce (even some hard to find Asian ingredients) and bulk items.

Awesome deli meat, noted by kiwiwannabe, with a punch card for a free pound after 10#.

Great place for seafood, everything is clearly marked as far as source.

Decent cheese selection.

Almost always has a nice selection of beef ribs.

Good prices on organic dairy and meat.

Best place in Madison for a large selection of Yogi Tea, my favorite!

Good prices generally, not a great selection of generics though. Very good prices on sale items, I’d say comparable to Woodman’s prices.

The employees are very nice. When they first opened, they were in almost every aisle asking if you needed help. (That was a bit much.)

Nice liquor selection and prices.

Like to drink coffee while you shop? Caribou is right in the store, at least the East Wash one.

One minus: I’ve always wondered where the heck the frozen chicken breasts are, like the 3 to 5# bags of Tyson. Anyone know?

I was a fan of Hyvee before it came to Madison. I used to shop at Hyvee in Dubuque, IA, when I lived in SW WI. It sure beat Dicks Supermarket. Anybody still have their “Insider Card”? I do.

I appreciate Hyvee’s use of the Kmart “footprint” on East Wash and agree that Westgate could use a similar lift. I'm looking forward to all the new options!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues