MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Klimate Kooks Korrekt

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Klimate Kooks Korrekt

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

DCB wrote:Finally, the predictions of climate scientists are based in reality.

Ah, see, that's the deal-killer right there.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:37 am

Goddamn scientists, always measuring shit.
South Pole (and nearby AWS sites) have recorded record warm temperatures on December 25, 2011. South Pole Meteorology Office notes the following:

“The temperature topped out at -12.3C/9.9F yesterday at 0250 UTC/1550 NZDT 12/25, not quite to 10F”

University of Wisconsin Automatic Weather Stations (AWS) at Nico and Henry AWS sites appear to have experienced record warm temperatures

http://amrc.ssec.wisc.edu/blog/2011/12/ ... aws-sites/
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Another chicken little warning. This stuff started in earnest in 1988 with an especially hot summer, but I'm sure it's been going on long before that.

Reminds me of the preachers who predict the earth will end on X day. When that day passes without event, they either slink away or develop another nutball prediction.

That's why the warmists are like religious zealots, just a different god.
I suppose you could call verifiable science a "different God," tho the Christians wouldn't like it. The Earth has never consistently heated up this fast as an annual average as it has over the last 150 years, and now it's accelerating even more w/o the usual volcanic activity associated with it. The temperature increases we're experiencing now previously took thousands of years to occur. Explain that?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Disgraced former House speaker and alleged 'thinker' Newt Gingrich is writing a book. It was going to contain a chapter on climate change, but it turns out that the co-author on that chapter actually knows something about climate change. This is not acceptable to a certain Big,Fat,Idiot:
Limbaugh picked up on those quotes on Dec. 19, including Hayhoe's poke at talk-show hosts. He called her "one of Newt's experts" and said she believes in man-made global warming. That was apparently enough to create heartburn for Team Newt.

So that's the end of that. No more climate change chapter! Hayhoe who?
Katharine Hayhoe, an atmospheric scientist at Texas Tech, confirmed in an email interview that she had been asked to write a chapter on climate change for the speaker's book. She said was approached by former Palm Beach Zoo CEO Terry Maple, Gingrich's co-editor, at an annual meeting of Republicans for Environmental Protection. Asked to confirm her chapter was dropped, she replied, "I had not heard that."
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:19 pm

In addition to being at atmospheric scientist, she's also a conservative and an evangelical Christian.

She doesn't seem to happy about the way Gingrich treated her. Here's a couple entries from her Twitter account:

1. so much 'spare' time wasted I cd've spent w family, & 2. what an ungracious way to find out, eh?

Nice to hear that Gingrich is tossing my #climate chapter in the trash. 100+ unpaid hrs I cd've spent playing w my baby
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

NPR talks to local UW prof Molly Jahn:

"Agriculture is going to be a critically important part of the conversation," says Molly Jahn, a professor of genetics and agronomy at the University of Wisconsin who works on agriculture's impact on climate change. "We rely on agriculture to to feed ourselves. And we know that agriculture is and can be a better form of planetary care, particularly when in management of greenhouse gas emissions."

"There's a great deal we can do at the landscape scale, and the local scale," Jahn says. But she thinks that has to be matched by big, innovative global efforts with enough muscle to meet the immensity of the challenge.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/0 ... nge-debate

Or not. Maybe we'll just drive SUVs until we starve to death.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I am practicing sustainable agriculture using on farm resources whenever possible. I also drive an SUV. It gets better MPG than a pickup. So what's the difference if I drive a SUV that gets half the MPG but drive half the distance of a person who drives a Pious?

That I am trying to say is not everybody who drives a SUV is a commuter.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Madsci wrote:I am practicing sustainable agriculture using on farm resources whenever possible. I also drive an SUV.

The SUV crack is not about you. Its a proxy for profligate use of fossil fuels.

Everyone has their rationalizations for using fossil fuels. I'm not going to waste my time debating whether your SUV is 'justified'. Unlike Darth Cheney, I don't think we can rely on 'individual virtue' to deal with global warming. We're going to have to deal with this on an international level.

Or we can stick our collective head in the sand as Texas dries up and blows away.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 am

kurt_w wrote:In addition to being at atmospheric scientist, she's also a conservative and an evangelical Christian.

She doesn't seem to happy about the way Gingrich treated her. Here's a couple entries from her Twitter account:

1. so much 'spare' time wasted I cd've spent w family, & 2. what an ungracious way to find out, eh?

Nice to hear that Gingrich is tossing my #climate chapter in the trash. 100+ unpaid hrs I cd've spent playing w my baby

Obviously she's not the right kind of conservative. She has violated Denialist Orthodoxy!

You might think its bad enough getting jerked around by Newt Gingrich. Now the professional Deniers are moving on to harassment. They are demanding to see any email she may have written on her own time without getting paid.

A public record request last month seeking a university climate researcher’s e-mails for use as political campaign fodder continues a trend that is inhibiting the free exchange of ideas by public university faculty, say organizations concerned about academic freedom.

ATI says it’s interested in some of Hayhoe’s messages because she was asked to write a chapter on climate change for a book on the environment that Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich is coediting with Terry L. Maple. Maple is a conservationist who has cowritten other books with Gingrich.

But the documents sought by ATI were written on her personal time and were sent on a private e-mail account, Hayhoe, an associate research professor, tells C&EN. Because the messages weren’t created or sent using state resources, they aren’t subject to disclosure under the state’s public record law.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/90/i3/E-Mai ... ebate.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

You know, this growing tendency to eat their own is not going to serve the far right well in the long run.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am

Oh boy. Chop more wood...

The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.
The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.
Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1kxfYGxKC
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Out of thousands of climate scientists that support the conclusions of the IPCC, they talked to the author of one report.

Point:
Peter Stott, one of the authors, said: ‘Our findings suggest a reduction of solar activity to levels not seen in hundreds of years would be insufficient to offset the dominant influence of greenhouse gases.’

Counterpoint:
These findings are fiercely disputed by other solar experts.

Well, that settles that!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 am

Bye bye Antarctica!
http://news.yahoo.com/18-mile-crack-see ... -news.html

In the next few months, scientists expect the glacier to create an iceberg about 350 square miles in area. It will probably float northward, melting as it goes. "Pine Island Glacier is losing ice very quickly, about six meters per year,"
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 am

"The world's greatest snow-capped peaks, which run in a chain from the Himalayas to Tian Shan on the border of China and Kyrgyzstan, have lost no ice over the last decade, new research shows.

The discovery has stunned scientists, who had believed that around 50bn tonnes of meltwater were being shed each year and not being replaced by new snowfall."

"...who was not part of the research team, said: "The very unexpected result was the negligible mass loss from high mountain Asia, which is not significantly different from zero."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... intcmp=122
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 am

Another quote from the Guardian article (one of many making this point):
"The new data does not mean that concerns about climate change are overblown in any way. It means there is a much larger uncertainty in high mountain Asia than we thought. Taken globally all the observations of the Earth's ice – permafrost, Arctic sea ice, snow cover and glaciers – are going in the same direction."
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines