MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Dangers of sharing wireless network with neighbor?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: Dangers of sharing wireless network with neighbor?

Postby Petro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Lily wrote:I agree. Just say no, thank you. Keep your wifi password to yourself. You don't have to give a reason. If you want free wifi, move to an apartment that provides it.

The terrorists have already won.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Lily wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:Wow ... a lot of words wasted on this thread.

Here's your answer: Incredibly bad idea. Period.

I agree. Just say no, thank you. Keep your wifi password to yourself. You don't have to give a reason. If you want free wifi, move to an apartment that provides it.
Well, I think that's a little simplistic. You certainly don't have to offer your network to anyone if you don't want to, but the hoopla about inherent dangers is primarily PR from companies who enjoy big profits for poor service.
If you're sharing your service, you need to have an understanding with the participants and you need to trust them. That's just common sense. And have you noticed that cafes are not in a panic about offering wireless access?

And, technically speaking, you don't need to share passwords. I restrict my network according to machine IDs.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:54 pm

I can't really recommend the notion of restricting via MAC. Any sort of WLAN auditing tool is going to have MAC spoofing baked-in.

If anything, I'd invest in an AP that has the ability to create a "guest" network with its own password and a static route straight out onto the interhosen and nowhere else.

And of course, avoid using WEP or WPS.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby wenrum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 am

I find it rude for some neighbors to ask the password to gain access to my wireless network which kind of defeats the purpose of it in the first place.

I mean, I would oblige if you are sharing the bill with me but not if you are just going to binge right in.

Sharing it incurs a lot of problems as well and most pots a lot of security issues that are really hard to cover up for.
wenrum

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games