Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Ketamine & Madison

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Ketamine & Madison

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 pm

Know where I can get any? jk

Seriously, did anyone see the Drugs, Inc episode on Ketamine the other night on the National Geographic channel?

I was watching it with the gf and then all of a sudden they showed a Steep & Brew storefront sign and I thought, hey, that looks really familiar.

Lo and behold, the segment was following a Madison dealer around the city and burbs as he was plying his trade in the ketamine game. According to the show, the drug has exploded in popularity over the past couple years.

I reckon it hasn't exploded all that much in these parts despite the chronicling of this particular local dealer.

I still only hear about all these fools running up behind the wheel on smack.

Anyone here tried ketamine, AKA, Special K before? The program said it's quickly replacing MDMA as the go-to "club drug". I've personally never come across it here. Every damn thing else back in my heyday, but not the 'K'. I'm always wary of the latest drug scare "epidemics". But NatGeo isn't the type to participate in fear mongering.

I used to love seeing our fair city get national attention or TV time.

But lately it's been because of Walker, Zippity Bee Bop Do Dah (or whatever the fuck his name is), and now this segment on ketamine. All BAD stuff! (well... the Walker thing should correct itself soon enough).

Can't we just be the number 1 city to live in again (according to Money Mag)??

sigh....
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ketamine & Madison

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 am

As a part-time horse I think it's fantastic.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby clyde » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:04 pm

I watched it too and was surprised to see Madison. And I decided I was getting old because I've never even heard of ketamine. It does suck that more often than not Madison/Wisconsin are getting bad press.
clyde

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm

clyde wrote:
I decided I was getting old because I've never even heard of ketamine.

Apparently you're not part-time horse.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 608allday » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 am

I just recently watched the Drugs Inc. Ketamine special myself & I was also surprised when I seen footage of Madison,WI on State Street.I am very familar with the drug ketamine,but never tried it & never will.There are a lot of young adults,between ages 17-22 who regularly use this drug in the downtown area,but in my opinion ketamine isnt nearly as harmful as ecstacy(mdma) because it seems to only be used by those the drug was meant for,whom know all of the information on the drug & are not just experimenting.Anyways I was shocked when I seen the Madison dealer makin moves on the show,because I actually know the guy.I have got wasted with him at parties & am positive its the same guy.He always wears a golfer style cap & an addidas track jacket;he has over a dozen of them in different colors.This proves that shows such as Drugs Inc.,Gangland,etc. are actually interviewing people that are really involved with whatever the episodes dealing with.I thought ordinary people were being payed to pretend to be drug dealers,gang members etc to make things seem more realistic,but now I know that television has at least some truth to it.Really enjoyed the show!
608allday

Postby Petro » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Ketamine is such a powerful dissociative that it even disassociates you from your spacebar.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 pm

I had some gems for roommates in college. One crazy raver girl
had tried Special K before she landed in WI, originally from FL.
If she thought it was an insane drug, it really must be.

I find Drugs Inc. informative for the coverage of science using
illicit drugs in medical therapy. The most recent one I saw was
for Special K on NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/01/30/145992588/could-a-club-drug-offer-almost-immediate-relief-from-depression

I’m more afraid of the soap salts than an animal tranquilizer. Anyone see that naked guy on the soap salts on Cops a week or two ago? :shock:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Ketamine (or GLYX-13)

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/04/162299564/ketamine-relieves-depression-by-restoring-brain-connections?ft=1&f=100

There is an alchemy in sorrow. It can be transmuted into wisdom, which, if it does not bring joy, can yet bring happiness.

-Pearl S. Buck
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Ketamine has been around for a long time. I heard an interview once with a big recording engineer in the SF area and he described a very famous band showing up to work and ingesting ketamine. They had a tough time getting up off the floor, and this was in the early 1970s. Definitely not your Rohrer 714:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All