MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Restaurant Week gems?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Restaurant Week gems?

Postby chaostbl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Can anyone make a recommendation about a Restaurant Week restaurant they particularly enjoyed? I.e., a good course, a good value (large portions), or excellent service?
chaostbl

Re: Restaurant Week gems?

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I'd like to hear some too. Not because I'm looking for a recommendation; I just want to live vicariously through you
because I can't go this time. :lol:
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Ms Vilas and I had lunch at Inka Heritage on Monday. Great food and service, as usual. We've eaten there in the past, including restaurant week dinners and they never disappoint.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Myself and my date had a fantastic meal at the Vintage on Sunday.

She had the scallop, duck, & banana creme pie. I had the bisque, pork "prime rib", & vanilla cheescake. We traded liberally between the two of us.

I'd pass on the pork. Everything else was exceptional, though. You really got the feeling that the kitchen was having fun with the menu and really looking to impress the patrons.

I had to laugh at the assembled mob at Ruth's Chris last night. Almost mowed down a couple of trixies while trying to get to the Verizon store. They'd overflowed the Ruth's Chris lot and pushed over to within a single row of the shops on the opposite end.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks Henry and Petro! Just what I was jonesing for!

I think I'll skip my World Market trip this week. Sounds like Greenway is insane.

I had to look up "Trixie" in the Urban Dictionary. Thanks for the laugh, Petro!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Villa Dolce in Middleton was surprisingly good. I hadn't been there before and it looked like a pizza and ice cream place from the outside. I had the lemon pepper linguine and my wife had the steak and they were both very good.
barreg

Postby Petro » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Was Villa Dolce mobbed? I couldn't understand how all of the municipal lots in downtown Middleton were packed so fully last night.

We did an impromptu anti-restaurant week dinner at Louisanne's last night and they were packed, but the place only has like, 15 tables. I couldn't see any single source for the influx of cars.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby chaostbl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:25 pm

My girlfriend and I went to Graze last night and it didn't disappoint. For the first course, I got the ribs and she got the cod cake. The ribs had a really nice glaze, but they didn't have much meat on them. The cod cake was excellent, similar to a crab cake but with a particular tanginess. For the second course, I had the pappardelle with braised lamb and she had the pork schnitzel. We shared a bit and I ave to say that the schnitzel was unbelievably delicious. It was crunchy, salty, sweet, and sour in every bite. The pappardelle was soft and tomato-y with a creamy finish, but I wish I had gotten the schnitzel. My girlfriend said it was in the top 5 things she's ever eaten. Get it while you still can!
chaostbl

Restaurant Week gems- Steenbock's

Postby kulgar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Restaurant week is over but inside the Institutes for Discovery is Steenbock's. The more formal of the two eating establishments. The new director will figure out what to do with the ice cream parlor which was fatefully named "Rennebohm's" I believe, and we know what happened to them. It's across form Union South and the ice cream probably hasn't needed to be restocked since it opened. Enough, on to the restaurant.

Ah, but first the bar where you can get a drink and then wander the first floor and interact with the interactive walls and watch the guy sweep up under the ficus trees. Excellent wine list with Morgridge pricing, my $20 didn't cover a Moet split and a soda. Probably my fault, didn't notice she ordered Moet....but $20 would have trouble covering two glasses of wine with tip. OK, I only spend $12 on a bottle!

Streenbock's also has an excellent wine list of varying prices. The by the glass is a bit steep but varied. The presentation of the food is exquisite but possibly because it was Restaurant Week and fixed price, the portions reminded me of nouvelle cuisine. In LA in the 80s my dining companion very innocently said "I didn't order an appetizer" when the tuxedoed waiter removed the cover of her entre. Very good flavors, not over spiced, seasoned and well done at that. Except the kitchen's idea of "rare" is seared and "medium well" is rare. That might have also been a Restaurant Week phenomenon, it's hard to go from idle to full war emergency power.

Unfortunately, with that price/value equation, I'm not positive I'll go back until John and Tashia have me over on their tab so this review may never be completed.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Ate lunch at Steenbock's.

Good service. Between four of us, we tried every menu item. Salad was nothing to write home about. Red pepper bisque was deemed great. Chicken curry salad wasn't anything exciting. Rigatoni and the Reuben were said to be delicious. All of us were happy with our desserts, though we thought the chocolate cake should've been warm. The creme brulee was "oh my gawd" good, according to my dining companion.

I'd go for lunch again, and if I was sitting on some cash, I'd considering going to dinner.
kimm
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews