MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Chadima's hand

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Chadima's hand

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:37 am

gargantua wrote:
Detritus wrote:The fundamental problem is that the athletic department operates without meaningful oversight, and has done so for years. Remember that Alvarez basically informed the UW through the press that he was making Bielema his replacement and to hell with state requirements for announcement, search, etc. The Chancellor's response, and that of the Board of Regents, was basically "Oh, OK, thanks for letting us know." Yes, they moved fast on this case. Is this the first case? Is this the only case? Or is this just the most convenient case to make a public show of contrition in order to avoid real accountability?

I say fire 'em all and let the Devil sort it out.

Based on the case you just made, with respect to lack of meaningful oversight of the Athletic Department, the "fire 'em all" recommendation applies to the Chancellor and Regents for failure to exercise appropriate oversight, right? After all, that is the problem you identified.

When I said "all of 'em" I meant ALL of 'em. In fact, I say we go back and retroactively fire Martin, Wiley, and especially Shalala, too--she really got them started down this path back during her reign.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

If the goal of the athletic department is to produce winning teams and win big games, to have drunken parties in California that veered toward orgies at the end is hardly the way to maintain team focus. Remember these are young guys, unseasoned, not professional players. The team and staff should have been instructed to maintain strict training discipline until the game was won, and management should have done everything possible to help that happen.

Legality and common sense aside, the athletic administration managed to pretty well shoot the whole team in the foot on the Rose Bowl trip. It's justifiable to pin the responsibility for the loss right at the top, and in a rational world hardcore fans and the athletic board would be calling for Bielema's head.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

snoqueen wrote:Legality and common sense aside, the athletic administration managed to pretty well shoot the whole team in the foot on the Rose Bowl trip. It's justifiable to pin the responsibility for the loss right at the top, and in a rational world hardcore fans and the athletic board would be calling for Bielema's head.

Unless I'm missing something, how did this incident affect the performance of the football team?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am

I agree. What did Bielema do wrong? What I came away with was people working for Alvarez were behaving irresponsibly, not Bielema. As far as I know, no assistant coaches or players were involved in this.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:If the goal of the athletic department is to produce winning teams and win big games

Which is what they've done. Bravo.

Some people can't live without drama and controversy. Snodramaqueen is one of those people. He can't go a day without turning something on its head and politicizing it. Get a life.
HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 pm

Hamster, have you ever posted anything that wasn't pure ad hominem? Just wonderin'.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

This is an issue concerning the UW system as a whole and binge drinking for undergrads, grad students, and professional staff.
I’m not talking just football, and I’m not talking just UW–Madison. The lines that become blurred due to binge drinking between students and staff, as well as over and under the drinking age, need to be addressed, and I think Chadima’s actions have forced the admin. to realize this, or some of it. I sincerely hope Mr. Chadima can honestly address his dependence and the reasons why he drinks to excess, whatever those may be.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 pm

gargantua wrote:I agree. What did Bielema do wrong? What I came away with was people working for Alvarez were behaving irresponsibly, not Bielema. As far as I know, no assistant coaches or players were involved in this.

First, Bielema is the Alvarez's hand-picked successor and, given the importance of the football program to both the athletic department and the UW, is the #2 guy after Alvarez no matter what the official org charts may say. Second, unless I'm somehow mistaken, the football team (win or lose) is the reason UW staff is going to bowl games in the first place. As the head of the football program, therefore, as well as the second most important person in the department, Bielema is responsible for what goes on there in the hands (as it were) of the staff.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what is so unclear about UW (really, State of Wisconsin) alcohol policy. Serving alcohol, even using "gift funds," requires approval at the Dean level or equivalent. Either someone approved it, or no one approved it, and either way the responsibility goes above Chadima.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Meade wrote:Okay. Thanks. Is the UW guilty of a tort then, in your opinion?

Negligence is a tort. Is your girlfriend teaching you legal terms? She's a terrible professor, by the way. I know, I had her twice. If you ask her about Rhenquist's mental gymnastics she'll stand there playing with her hair.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Peej you're entitled to your opinion but I'll bet Professor Althouse can at least spell Rehnquist correctly.

I'd play with her hair too, if given the chance. :D
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:10 am

pjbogart wrote:She's a terrible professor, by the way. I know, I had her twice.

Let me get this straight - she's terrible, ruined your ability to spell, AND you went back for seconds?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 am

bdog wrote:
jjoyce wrote:

...Yup. And so he was swiftly canned. Expect to see this kind of quick response from Universities all over the country when an Athletic Dept. employee engages in this type of behavior.

No, he was put on academic suspension and then later in the day he resigned. Might have been a polite way to ask someone to quit or it might have been just to put him on hold until the University was able to investigate the allegations. Sounds like the victim was able to get support when he reported the crime, and that IS good. But a high level official of the University, no matter what department, hosting alcohol infused parties with staff they supervise and under-aged drinkers in attendance... AND the party held in the high level university's officials hotel room... geez, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster. You know, like the the all the horror stories about workplace alcohol infused Christmas Parties? Chadima's supervisors knew about this, but --of course -- didn't attend (or at least they didn't attend THIS one), need to be penalized as well. They knew but just looked the other way for the last 4 years? Let's not forget the money for the booze was funded by people donating to the Athletic Department. Wonder how many of the donors were aware of that little gem. The fact that Mr. Alvarez "knew" about the parties and didn't correct this is enough of a reason that he, as well as the entire Athletic Department, should also be re-educated, at the very least.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 am

This thread title sounds like a new drinking game.

A bunch of dudes drink and drink until one of them gets so drunk that, in a drunken stupor he uncontrollably fondles another dude. The fondle-y then yells CHADIMA, to which the fondler yells 'I'LL FIRE YOU'

This game has no winners.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Jesus will save him.

In his own statement, Chadima said that he had no specific recollection of the alleged incidents. He said that support from his family and friends "have fueled my commitment to seek help through counseling, in particular for alcohol, stress management and especially faith-based guidance."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:13 am

After two and a half months, the LA police finally start an investigation.

LA Police Investigating Chadima Allegation

In January, an LAPD spokesman told the newspaper the department wasn't conducting a criminal investigation. But this week, Alvarado said in a letter to a Madison resident that the department had begun a criminal investigation.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking