MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: John Doe probe of Walker makes another move

Postby -snoqueen- » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 am

More likely, they're building a case very, very carefully and the longer they wait, the more chance of someone else seeking a plea bargain or giving new information. It's a way of putting pressure on various parties.

Still, it's totally fascinating to watch. Walker is completely surrounded.
-snoqueen-

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:59 pm

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gibe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Could this be the tipping point?

Walker says he will meet with Milwaukee DA, hires attorneys

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... z1lMFcd3z8
Gibe

Postby Nick Berigan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:19 pm

"...in a statement released by his campaign Friday..." Playbook, page 17. Bad news? Do it Friday if you have to do it at all.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:57 pm

MILWAUKEE -- WISN 12 News is learning that the scope of the secret investigation might be wider than simply campaigning on county time.

Prosecutors are following other leads.

The rule is anyone involved in a John Doe investigation is subject to a gag order, so getting anyone to talk on is challenging, but sources tell 12 News that prosecutors are looking at allegations of pay-to-play in Scott Walker's county executive office.

"It was just strange how it happened, and I commented at the time that it was really weird," former Milwaukee County Supervisor Roger Quindel said.

Quindel said he remembers an unusual bidding process during Walker's tenure as county executive. What appeared to be a done deal to extend a lease on some county offices turned into another round of bidding and gave bidders just five hours to present new bids.

http://www.wisn.com/news/30318789/detail.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Even if the lil fuck goes down in flames, he's already managed to destroy what was once a great state. Still, I'll warm myself by his embers:)
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 pm

I really have to think he's already smoldering because of the timeline along with the appointments.

3-14-10 MJS prints Wink story

3-15-10 Russell steps down as Deputy Chief of Staff (Why would that be?) only to be replaced by someone he handpicked who was also a part of the secret network. Felonious Rindfleisch. So if his excuse/coverup is that he got rid of Russell because he found out then he was part of the network (meaning he was culpable even then), why would he hire a Russell pick to replace him? Someone who was also involved in the same network he was fully aware of by that time, but he more likely knew about much earlier.

5-14-2010 then of course the email, the alleged disclaimer, that shows he knew a lot more about it than he's let on. Followed with the new revelation that they had a pay-to-play system in Milwaukee... And that's likely just a small portion of what they know.

I think snoqueen is right, he's surrounded.

But Scot-Tea also has an excellent opportunity save taxpayer $s right now: Don't put the Feds and taxpayers through the shell game you no doubt are banking on. Just confess and save us the time and money.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Did Walker fully inform all his billionaire donors of the John Doe investigation? Did they do their own due diligence? If yes and yes, what are they buying?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:20 pm

I tried to search to see if anyone else had posted this link but the search engine told me that
http://www.walkergatefiles.com/

had too many common words in it. And that walkergatefiles was too common a word to search on.

So just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, here's the comprehensive timeline and commentary.

Oh, and in the tweets on the side there's a link to this cute little thing: Scott Walker’s $100,000,000 Question – Walkergate - Nick Hurtgen and the Wisconsin Supreme Court
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Partly addressing my own question about what's Walker collecting all this money for, here are some comments on how he's lawyering up:

http://cognidissidence.blogspot.com/201 ... is-it.html

Can't be cheap.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:24 pm

Just spent 3 hours reading articles etc. WOW! a lot of rearranging of deck chairs. I screwed up the timeline above too. It should be...

3-15-2010 Russell steps down as Deputy Chief of Staff

5-13-2010 Wink resigns her position in Walker's office 2 hours after the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel asks for her work records to see if she was doing campaign work on County time.

5-14-2010 MJS prints the story on Wink. The same day Walker sends the infamous email to Russell.

at some point Wink asks Russell in a chat session how she can delete and destroy documents. “How do I get rid of the PDF from my IM?” “I don't want to go to jail for this, ha ha.”

A few more things. Kavanaugh stole $11K in 2006 (Wink was the book keeper!), but was reappointed to the Veterans Service Commission in late 2007 anyway. Nardelli belatedly decides in 2008 that Kavanaugh stole more than $12K, but does nothing about it until 2009, just prior to Walker announcing his gubernatorial run.

Investigators interview Nardelli April 23rd, 2009. Nardelli then calls Kavanaugh April 27, the day before Walker announces, and tells him he has to give the money back.

Within five days of the "no laptops" email to Russell, May 19, 2010, Rindfleisch emails Keith Gilkes on the secret network, Walker's campaign manager at the time. Gilkes had exchanged over 1,000 emails using the secret email system in Walker’s County Executive office.

And it will be extremely interesting to see what else John Doe comes up with in regards to Walker's Pay-to-play policy in Milwaukee.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 am

What happened to all of his radio and TV ads? I haven't seen or heard any since the Wink/Rindfliesch story broke.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:56 am

juanton wrote:What happened to all of his radio and TV ads? I haven't seen or heard any since the Wink/Rindfliesch story broke.

I assumed he was only running those ads to try and dissuade people from signing, so once the deadline arrived they stopped.

It could also be because they've adjusted the budget to put legal fees at a higher priority than campaign ads for the moment, as sno suggests.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 am

Walker first tells us that all us protestors were from out of state.

Then he hires two well-connected and practiced hit women with "interesting" backgrounds, from out of state, for key positions in his coming battles.

28-year-old Jocelyn Webster to serve as communications director for the Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA). The department manages the state buildings where most of the anti-Walker protests have been held, and its duties include setting rules for protests. Webster started her career with Rove's notorious Office of Political Affairs in the George W. Bush administration.

Walker also hired new campaign staff, including Ciara Matthews as campaign communication director. Matthews, a 20-something Nevada native, has worked as spokesperson for an anti-abortion group as well as Angle's 2010 senate campaign, where she defended [Tea Party favorite Sharon] Angle's racially tinged ads and banned reporters from a candidate event for asking questions without permission.

Webster has also reportedly treated Wisconsinites with a dismissive attitude. During the public information sessions on Wisconsin's capitol access rules, citizens concerned about the policy's impact on their First Amendment rights were dismayed by Webster rolling her eyes and shaking her head at their comments. Many were also put off by Webster's misleading press release that had asserted the new rules, which require permits for groups as small as four persons, were simply restatements of existing policies.

At one of those information sessions, Paul Schmid of WisconsinReporters.com expressed concern about the background of the Department of Administration's new communications director. “This is the state of Robert LaFollette, open government, transparent government,” said Schmid, noting that citizens were unlikely to trust the administration considering the background of their new hire and Webster's past involvement in secretive, taxpayer-funded political activity.

In response, DOA Deputy Secretary Chris Schoenherr replied, “You'll decide whether or not, you decide to trust the administration. Or not.”
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 am

Heh.

"Unfortunately, we have a Governor and administration that condones unethical and illegal behavior," Walker said in a statement on Jan. 24, 2006. "The people of Wisconsin deserve better."

Thompson, a former state purchasing director, was convicted of two felonies accusing her of steering a contract to Adelman Travel, whose two top company officials had donated $10,000 each to Doyle's re-election campaign.

A three-judge panel later reversed the decision, saying Thompson had been wrongly convicted. One of the judges said that "the evidence is beyond thin."
[...]
"Today's indictment provides further confirmation that the Doyle administration is damaged and must be removed from the Capitol," said Walker, a Wauwatosa Republican, of his Democratic predecessor. "Governor Doyle needs to purge his administration of individuals who place politics and special interests ahead of the people of Wisconsin."

Walker went on to call on Doyle to adopt a series of reforms that the candidate was proposing.

"Little can be said to underscore the seriousness of this charge. I am hopeful that the people of Wisconsin will allow me the opportunity to clean up Madison with the same fervor that guided my reform movement in Milwaukee County."

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquar ... 57254.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government