MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Time to lock this thread

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: TDPF: whites only

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:38 am

snoqueen wrote:We cannot even wonder or speculate how it works

Oh but we can , and I did:

Did they not understand the process? Were they afraid? Were they encouraged not to go? Were they intimidated not to go? Was it a flash boycott?

For this Marvell and Rabble pounced on it and I said I "repeatedly suggested" that voters did not understand process.

Now, the reasons above are in ADDITION to the main reason that it was THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY. I get it, they don't appeal to non-whites the way the Dems do (pander might be a better word for what the Dems do).

It's still odd that only 1% did show up. I have offered reasons for that without devolving into a Helter Skelter scenario like Kurt did with his original post.

What do you think of the race war scenario Sno? And...perhaps we should take this back over to the other topic.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 am

pjbogart wrote:
bdog wrote:Meade is just using liberal tactics; he knows exactly what he's doing.

Why are you repeatedly bringing up Hitler PJ?

see what i did there?

I don't recall "repeatedly" bringing up Hitler. I suppose that's a reference to your spat with Marvell.

Yup, you got caught in the crossfire there.

Regarding the use of the word "repeating" when in fact someone mentions something only a single time, Rabble says

Ah. Fantastic nitpicking. No, it's not a big distinction at all.

I think he's wrong. Do you agree with him or me?

Re: Hitler - Meade is pulling your chain.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:49 am

Detritus wrote:Why do you suppose that was? You don't need to know what the voters were thinking to speculate on that question--you can draw on your knowledge of the candidates, their platforms, and the issues facing non-white voters to make an educated guess.

See my response to Sno. Knowing the platforms, candidates and issues would get you to a low % number, but still doesn't explain such a low number as 1%. YMMV

Did anyone actually read my original post or are you getting it all second-hand from Marvell?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:12 am

pjbogart wrote:

Did you care to comment on whether you think Hitler was akin to a liberal Democrat? A simple yes or no will do.

Let me give you a leg up... Democrats believe that we should use taxpayer dollars to take care of the poor and the disabled. Hitler shoved them in ovens after extracting any precious metals they had in their teeth.

Not exactly the same. See, a liberal Democrat prefers to cut would be people out of ..... well, their mothers ovens, before they have even developed teeth or the opportunity to have precious metals placed on their teeth should the desire or need arise.
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:08 am

Jasonx5, did you just say women who had an abortion and the democrats that support a woman's right to choose what happens to her body are worse than Hitler?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:16 am

city2countrygal wrote:Jasonx5, did you just say women who had an abortion and the democrats that support a woman's right to choose what happens to her body are worse than Hitler?

Nope, din't say they were worse, just that they were not exactly the same as Hitler
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 am

A dirty secret about the Progressives of the early 20th century is their penchant for eugenics.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:08 am

bdog wrote:
Did they not understand the process? Were they afraid? Were they encouraged not to go? Were they intimidated not to go? Was it a flash boycott?

Now, the reasons above are in ADDITION to the main reason that it was THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY.

Oh good lord, no wonder having a discussion with you in it never goes anywhere. Now we learn those are secondary reasons in addition to the main reason (which main reason makes little sense to me. We all know it's the Republican primary, and so what?)

But earlier you said this:
bdog wrote:...if you think I was suggesting that they were also afraid, encouraged not to go, intimidated not to go, or participating in a flash boycott, I guess I don't know what to say.

So now you seem to say that if we believe black voters not understanding the process was one of the secondary reasons for the voting-race disparity in the SC GOP primary, we're so muddled you don't know what to say. (Can anyone translate him better? Please do.)

Aah, it's those tricky questions. The rule book says "always use questions when you might want to deny something later on, but you want to slip it into the discussion anyway."

What are you trying to accomplish by being as unclear as possible? These verbal-trickery games are so annoying I can't imagine why anybody even replies any more, because we ca never know which of your versions is real and which is game-playing. (I suppose it's because we're so dedicated to correcting all the errors on the Internet.)

What do you think of the race war scenario Sno?

It's a culture war, and we're already in it.

I notice you didn't answer my question about whether you make political donations.

Eugenics: I don't think it's a secret. One chapter of the story has been on the front pages of the NYT. We should all be concerned about these horrors and we should work to redress the grievances of the victims and fully reveal what happened so it never happens again, just like with the Holocaust.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:Oh good lord, no wonder having a discussion with you in it never goes anywhere.

Sno, you seem to think we're going to be able to wrap this thing up with a bow - it's not gonna happen.

Unlike you, I keep an open mind about most things. You can get all frustrated that you can't pin me down on this, but I happen to think that is a good thing.

We need more open-minded people in the world (and certainly on this forum).
snoqueen wrote:Now we learn those are secondary reasons in addition to the main reason (which main reason makes little sense to me. We all know it's the Republican primary, and so what?)

You are just now learning that minority participation in the Democratic party is higher than in the Republican party?

snoqueen wrote:But earlier you said this:
bdog wrote:...if you think I was suggesting that they were also afraid, encouraged not to go, intimidated not to go, or participating in a flash boycott, I guess I don't know what to say.

So now you seem to say that if we believe black voters not understanding the process was one of the secondary reasons for the voting-race disparity in the SC GOP primary, we're so muddled you don't know what to say. (Can anyone translate him better? Please do.)

That was in response to Marvell who said I was suggesting the reason for the low turnout was that non-whites didn't understand the process. If you believe that you must believe I was also "suggesting" that they were afraid, intimidated, etc. It doesn't make any sense that they could be all those things at once. It's not very nuanced, I really don't understand why you're having a problem with it. Actually, I do. It's because you just want an argument, not a discussion. Certainly you don't want a discussion that might not fit in with your delicate liberal sensibilities.

snoqueen wrote:Aah, it's those tricky questions. The rule book says "always use questions when you might want to deny something later on, but you want to slip it into the discussion anyway."

It must be nice for you to have all the answers Sno.

snoqueen wrote:What are you trying to accomplish by being as unclear as possible? These verbal-trickery games are so annoying I can't imagine why anybody even replies any more, because we ca never know which of your versions is real and which is game-playing. (I suppose it's because we're so dedicated to correcting all the errors on the Internet.)

Now you're just being paranoid. A person can't even admit they don't have the answers and not get slammed for it.

snoqueen wrote:
What do you think of the race war scenario Sno?

It's a culture war, and we're already in it.

Not the same thing.

Sno, you and I just need to ignore each other. I'll save my discussion for city2countrygal. Agreed?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:53 pm

jasonx5 wrote:Nope, din't [sic: didn't] say they were worse, just that they were not exactly the same as Hitler

Twisting words? Keep it simple, jasonx5.
You did imply they were similar, no? To what degree?
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm

C2CG, I hope you have more luck figuring out what jasonX is trying to say than I did with bdog. It all looks like "I mean what I say except when I don't."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm

snoqueen wrote:C2CG, I hope you have more luck figuring out what jasonX is trying to say than I did with bdog. It all looks like "I mean what I say except when I don't."

She's got a younger brain Sno - that's a big advantage. Maybe you should try some of the herbal remedies. It may all start to look a little more nuanced than "not what Sno thinks". :lol:
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Or else I have a better memory than you do, since it seems like you only recall what the last commenter said and have no idea at all what your own viewpoint or beliefs might be, or what they were a day or two ago.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:29 pm

oh c'mon Sno - you're full of shit!

You're pissed because you can't box me into a corner.

Tell you what, we'll start over, nice and slow.

Do you think there is a difference between "once" and "repeatedly"?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:15 pm

bdog wrote:oh c'mon Sno - you're full of shit!

You're pissed because you can't box me into a corner.

Tell you what, we'll start over, nice and slow.

Do you think there is a difference between "once" and "repeatedly"?

I already answered that one, tap dancer.

Not much. Not enough to repeatedly say "I never did that!"

I'm still wondering why you bothered to post those questions at all, if your current stance is that you never believed any of them had a possibility of being true. What other reason is there to post them?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com