MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

It's Halftime in America

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: It's Halftime in America

Postby Huckleby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 am

Republicans don't hate it because of minorities in it, or because it is in bad taste. They hate it because it is an effective commercial for Obama, played to huge audience, and now getting 100x the value in free publicity.

Lovely!
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:42 am

Pretty much anything that Karl Rove finds offensive is automatically A-OK with me.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Pretty much anything that Karl Rove finds offensive is automatically A-OK with me.

I hope he gets a great big soap box and spends the next six loudly whining about how offended he is about Americans having jobs.

Please Karl, don't hold back.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Huckleby wrote:Republicans don't hate it because of minorities in it, or because it is in bad taste. They hate it because it is an effective commercial for Obama, played to huge audience, and now getting 100x the value in free publicity.

Lovely!

I guess that's reason to hate it. Gods know, they hate so many things it almost seems they shoot the hate gun in random directions at random times, but are they really that shortsighted?

Or do they think this blitz is going to be an effective countermeasure?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:20 pm

I didn't even know that was a Chrysler commercial until I read all the bullshit and watched it again and noticed the company logos at the end. I just thought it was an inspiring ad centering on Detroit but meant as a pep talk for the nation as a whole, in a time slot that would reach as many people as possible. I liked it a lot and dare I say it actually made me feel good about our country for a few minutes, something that doesn't happen much lately.

I brought the subject up with my best friend last night thinking we might see eye to eye here. Our politics don't always jive but I really thought he would see it as I did. Not a chance. He brought up every negative talking point that I've read and brushed off the idea that it just might work on an inspirational level. Neither one of us pushed it past the short friendly argument stage but it was just another sign to me of where we are and where we're going. We have been friends for over 30 years and consider each other brothers, with our politics being about equally (at least I thought) center-left (me) and center-right (him). This has always made for completely amiable discussions and up until a couple years ago we barely talked about politics at all. Now here we are falling into uncomfortable silences over a fucking TV commercial!

I don't know what to think. It's never been this easy for me to hate people and I'm talking about people on both sides here, people who's entire existence seems to be dedicated to finding the bad in everything and packaging it for immediate distribution, plus the people who consume all this shit and then regurgitate it to everyone they know like a bird feeding its chicks. I'm done with your fucking mass emails with whatever photo-shopped bullshit or out-of-context quote you feel I need to SEND TO EVERYONE I KNOW!

This is a bad road and I'm going to try to turn off of it. Starting today I'm off politics for awhile. No news, no political forums, I'll mute tv or radio ads and cut off anyone who tries to bring it up. I'm anticipating a better mood already.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:50 pm

narcoleptish wrote: Starting today I'm off politics for awhile. No news, no political forums, I'll mute tv or radio ads and cut off anyone who tries to bring it up. I'm anticipating a better mood already.

This sentiment seems to be increasingly prevalent. Recently spoke to a couple who had just returned from a 2 week cruise- they were amazed at how good it felt to not be consumed with political theatre for 14 days. They both vowed to consciously avoid politics for a while.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 pm

jman111 wrote:This sentiment seems to be increasingly prevalent.

A while back I cut out ALL cable news and you wouldn't believe how much more informed I feel. Most everything is print and I try to spread it around. I've also eased up on the blogs.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jasonx5 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:11 pm

If I may join in by asking....
Who benefits from a divided people.... The people themselves or the politicians (both sides) who aim to divide those they claim to represent?
jasonx5
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

jasonx5 wrote:If I may join in by asking....
Who benefits from a divided people.... The people themselves or the politicians (both sides) who aim to divide those they claim to represent?

The media. It keeps their ratings up.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:31 pm

The media. It keeps their ratings up.

Can you imagine what Fox News would be like if they didn't have any liberal bashing? I'm not sure they'd be able to fill an hour pf programming.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Can you imagine what Fox News would be like if they didn't have any liberal bashing?

I also got tired of MSNBC. I could only handle so much. It's amazing that when you read the news, most of the sensationalism disappears.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 pm

I also got tired of MSNBC. I could only handle so much. It's amazing that when you read the news, most of the sensationalism disappears.

Depends on where you are reading it I guess. I've never watched cable news, well unless you count Comedy Central or Bill Maher as cable news. I gave up talk radio Jan. 1st as well and unintentionally the Daily Page for a few weeks (mostly).
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Depends on where you are reading it I guess.

That's true. I just found ALL cable news was sensationalized.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

I quit watching TV news in the late 80s/early 90s. My Brother-in-law is an ex-guerrilla fighter from El Salvador. He was given a 15 day death notice to leave in 1986, and eventually made his way to Madison. He has his own experiences to share plus a box full of books from independent US journalists who wrote honestly about the situation: even a bootleg video they made to send to the US in hopes it would somehow become popular, so we'd stop funding their dictator's army. He knew quite a few people in the video, and almost all of them were killed after making it.

I was already shying away from TV news after reading about Iran/Contra and noticing the difference in how TV media covered it, but once I saw the deep contrast between what we were being taught in Nicaragua/El Salvador, that was it for me.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:32 pm

jman111 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote: Starting today I'm off politics for awhile. No news, no political forums, I'll mute tv or radio ads and cut off anyone who tries to bring it up. I'm anticipating a better mood already.

This sentiment seems to be increasingly prevalent. Recently spoke to a couple who had just returned from a 2 week cruise- they were amazed at how good it felt to not be consumed with political theatre for 14 days. They both vowed to consciously avoid politics for a while.

I really, really, don't blame people for feeling this way. That said, I find it troubling. If thoughtful people turn away, then the, um, less thoughtful end up calling the shots. That's unlikely to benefit society.

I was lucky enough to be away in Mexico for most of the Gore v. Bush Florida battle, so I do understand the stress reduction coming from getting away from the incessant battles.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines