MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

It's Halftime in America

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: It's Halftime in America

Postby jman111 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:20 pm

gargantua wrote:I really, really, don't blame people for feeling this way. That said, I find it troubling. If thoughtful people turn away, then the, um, less thoughtful end up calling the shots. That's unlikely to benefit society.

No worries- they're Fox News watchers....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

I was off TV completely for 12 years when my daughter was young, but quickly became an addict of public radio news, music and entertainment programming. Also, did a lot of reading and research on my own. This was before the internet and the worst of talk radio (Rush, etc.). I guess that period was my "halftime in America." I was better informed than I would have been watching the tube news. I'm back on the TV news now, less informed but more in touch with my fellow Americans, not that there's anything right with that.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 pm

I don't think I've ever relied on TV as a news source, though I was never very interested in news until I left home for college. Since then I haven't had much exposure to TV except for occasional jags watching Northern Exposure or some such. Now my major source for TV content is netflix.

What I really can't fathom is how anyone has the time to watch TV news. Ten seconds of content is invariably wrapped in ten minutes of dreck. Even if I'm trapped in an airport terminal surrounded by talking heads, I prefer to read warning labels on baggage carts than wade through seeming eons of we-understand-one-another-feel-good noise (and ads) before hearing something useful.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I don't have any TV and the only TV-sourced stuff I look at is links, like the one to the Chrysler commercial. I am glad I don't get sucked into the overwrought urgency TV whips up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 pm

As long as we're talking about TV now, I've sorta gotten hooked on The Fades, on the BBC America channel. I don't know if it's the ghosts or the glimpses into the local culture that's got me. I just know I have to turn on captioning to understand what the hell they're saying half the time. And I still don't get some of it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am

fennel wrote:What I really can't fathom is how anyone has the time to watch TV news. Ten seconds of content is invariably wrapped in ten minutes of dreck.

Bingo.

Can't stand, I mean, can't stand TV news anchors and commentators-- local ones especially. The fake gravitas for serious or tragic stories; the fake upbeat demeanor for human-interest filler; the vacuous between-story banter that makes an ice pick to the cochlea seem like a stroll in the park...

Front page of the paper, in physical or online form: bam!-- this is important, this is not. Same thing with news aggregates like Google.

Don't get me started on the creeping tendency for sites like CNN to feature certain stories only in video form. If something looks important like that (and it doesn't require supporting video to be understood), it's a quick trip to Google News to find a site that has the same thing in text.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

Mere 15 second ads on the internet seem long
30 seconds - really long
60 seconds - fuggedaboutit
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

Emancipation from the Ruling Class Project: Turn on the nightly news and then turn down the sound. Put on some music. Watching Viet Nam on Walter's nightly "news" with Hendrix's "Machine Gun" for a soundtrack works wonders.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:Watching Viet Nam on Walter's nightly "news" with Hendrix's "Machine Gun" for a soundtrack works wonders.

Ah ha, so it's you, Carl Piermarini!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Wow for having simply clicked that link I think I can expect to never get laid again. And I'd deserve it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:11 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Wow for having simply clicked that link I think I can expect to never get laid again. And I'd deserve it.

That's easy enough to rectify. Simply listen to this and you'll be instantly cool again.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:22 pm

"The guy who lives next to me is always like, I have a Jacuzzi on my balcony, I have a Jacuzzi on my balcony. But wait until I tell him, I've got a time machine on my balcony."

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 am

Yes, it would take a time machine to witness a national media that would give us first-hand reports on Obama's proliferating drone terror wars in Somalia, Yemen, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. The lack of interest speaks volumns about who gets immunity in the court of world opinion.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:08 pm

I definitely didn't see the ad as pro left, considering a clip of Capitol protestors waving signs with red hearts was retouched so that bold black type replaced the hearts and angry red NO symbols appeared where none had been, all as Clint intoned "...the fog of division, discord, and blame."
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines