MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Catholic bishops object to offering the full range of reproductive health options to women they employ who carry their health insurance. Does that mean that Jehovah's Witnesses can refuse to cover blood transfusions under their group health plans? And what about Christian Scientists, do they just cover prayer?

Our own Lt. Governor Rebecca Kleefisch (aka Crazy Church Lady) weighs in with this:
Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch said she thought the government should not be involved in personal decisions such a birth control.

"As you know I am 100 percent pro-life, so I don't think a government should be in a place of mandating health care for people first of all, that should be between a patient and a doctor," Kleefisch said.

Isn't Obama's proposal just allowing health care decisions to be made "between a patient and a doctor"?

The article further states:
St. Mary's Hospital's Mike Panicola released a statement on Friday night.

"The changes still do not apply to the type of health insurance plans SSM Health Care and many other faith-based organizations provide to their employees," Panicola said in the statement.

Is he implying that St. Mary's already covers employees birth control? If so, I wonder what Bishop Morlino thinks about that.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:59 pm

From the Washington Post: The GOP War on Birth Control.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:04 pm

They are totally painting themselves into a corner.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11401
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby DCB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:52 pm

snoqueen wrote:They are totally painting themselves into a corner.

Its curious that the Bishops pick this issue to make the biggest stink about. Have they been challenging the US government on a living wage, preventing AIDS, abolishing capital punishment? No, they pick the one issue on which Church has the least adherence in its members.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:From the Washington Post: The GOP War on Birth Control.

... Hormonal contraceptives generally prevent an egg from being fertilized in the first place, but the at-least-theoretical possibility that they might also prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus was enough to raise the specter of birth control pills being viewed as an instrument of homicide....


Doesn't the second amendment allow us to have instruments of homicide?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:25 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:49 pm

In Wisconsin, it's OK to end an unwanted pregnancy by shooting your spouse in your home if you claim you felt threatened. That's a perfectly legal method of contraception.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11401
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I had Sean Hannity on the radio last week (sometimes I get tired of the screaming on Top 40 and want to hear a different kind of screaming) and he was talking about this. An interesting exchange occurred.

A caller says that birth control should be included in all health insurance because it's a basic need. Hannity says it should be up to the insurer, but it shouldn't be expected as a basic need because engaging in sexual activity where pregnancy is not desired is a choice.

The caller asks whether or not Hannity thinks health insurance should cover you if you're intoxicated and crash your car. Or if it should cover the lung disease of lifetime smokers. He says, yes, it should. And then some weird rationaliztions followed.

ANY way, point is, I thought the metaphors the caller raised were more interesting than the birth control component. If your house burns down because of an accident, your homeowners insurance covers it. If you set intentionally set fire to your house, it doesn't cover it. So why does health insurance cover accidents that you put yourself at risk for?

I guess there is some accounting for risk in the case of smokers who pay more for coverage than non-smokers. But I don't think I've ever heard of someone's health insurance rates going up after an injury-causing car accident like their car insurance rates would.

This is kind of a derail but it started because of the topic at hand.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2863
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Petro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:35 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:ANY way, point is, I thought the metaphors the caller raised were more interesting than the birth control component. If your house burns down because of an accident, your homeowners insurance covers it. If you set intentionally set fire to your house, it doesn't cover it. So why does health insurance cover accidents that you put yourself at risk for?

I guess there is some accounting for risk in the case of smokers who pay more for coverage than non-smokers. But I don't think I've ever heard of someone's health insurance rates going up after an injury-causing car accident like their car insurance rates would.

This is kind of a derail but it started because of the topic at hand.


Logic has no place in this argument, as is almost universally the case when religion comes into play at any level. If it did, insurers would leap at the option of paying for the cheap, one-time cost of an abortion vs. the small mountain of costs that poppin' a kid out entails - whether or not the pregnancy was intentional or the mom was even taking her sin tablets.
Petro
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:08 am

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:30 pm

"As you know I am 100 percent pro-life, so I don't think a government should be in a place of mandating health care for people first of all, that should be between a patient and a doctor," Kleefisch said.


You don't even need to get into the whole controversy over birth control to recognize this statement as truly strange. What's pro-life about opposing government mandated health-care? How are those two connected? Is she saying that it's up to your doctor to mandate health care?

I suppose there are instances where your doctor might give you some options relative to your insurance plan, such as what smoking cessation program is covered and whether more effective options are available that you may need to pay for out of pocket, but overall, my doctor doesn't talk to me about my coverage at all. Perhaps that's because I have Dean and see a doctor at the Dean clinic so everything is generally covered (except that stupid lab fee they always stick me for).

It is nice, however, to see Kleefisch affirming Roe v. Wade's principle that the private relationship between you and your doctor are none of the government's business.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby pjbogart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:34 pm

snoqueen wrote:In Wisconsin, it's OK to end an unwanted pregnancy by shooting your spouse in your home if you claim you felt threatened. That's a perfectly legal method of contraception.


Madam Curie Award revoked! Thank god I didn't pay to have it framed yet.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 am

Santorum, a very observant Catholic, subscribes to the Church dogma that birth control pills can be the agent of abortion. That view is summed up neatly in this prolife.com article: "Birth Control" Pills cause early Abortions.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 am

pjbogart wrote:
"As you know I am 100 percent pro-life, so I don't think a government should be in a place of mandating health care for people first of all, that should be between a patient and a doctor," Kleefisch said.


You don't even need to get into the whole controversy over birth control to recognize this statement as truly strange. What's pro-life about opposing government mandated health-care? How are those two connected? Is she saying that it's up to your doctor to mandate health care?


Kleefishch's statement struck me as strange too. Perhaps by "doctor" she is referring to the Doctors of the Church.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:25 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 am

Bishops to Obama: No contraception compromise
When it comes to mandatory contraception coverage under health reform the Affordable Care Act, the nation's Catholic bishops won't budge an inch.

Since when does a group of Catholic bishops get to dictate national policy?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:06 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Bishops to Obama: No contraception compromise
When it comes to mandatory contraception coverage under health reform the Affordable Care Act, the nation's Catholic bishops won't budge an inch.

Since when does a group of Catholic bishops get to dictate national policy?

The concise answer is: When they can.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 4:25 pm

Re: The Catholic Church, health care and birth control

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 am

Will the bishops also challenge the 28 states that already have this mandate? Or it all about Obama and the upcoming presidential election?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 19730
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Next

Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

cron
Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar