MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 am

bdog wrote:I'd bet low IQ & Conservative beliefs are linked to military service too.

When and where did you serve?

When I was in the military, I ran into plenty of fellow liberals. Of course the draft back then took a cross section of people. And there are plenty of conservative hawks who dodged military service, from Dick Cheney to our own Ned.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 am

I think believing that you are devoid of prejudice, is being pretty narcissistic.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:41 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chrisw10 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I love zinging random strangers on the Internet. :mrgreen: So here's my contribution to this pile of stinking fun.

wack wack wrote:Even if what you suggest is true of liberals, these are all still advancement over the prejudice and racism embraced by the dummies on the right. That's why liberals are considered progressive.

Actually, Progressives (large P) are considered progressive only by themselves because they've labelled themselves progressive for adopting Progressive ideology. What you choose to label yourself contains no objective measure of superiority over other human beings. They stand in contradistinction to liberals, who are merely left-of-center and are generally of a more humble sort.

Oh, and double wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg
I'll leave it up to you to decide whether I posted this because this as a humorous counterpoint to the above post because the dude in question is, well, on the left, or whether it's because I'm a closet racist, or both. Although, while it would certainly be easier and more satisfying to assume I'm a racist, it cannot be based upon any sort of character assessment about me, since nobody here knows anything about me. Rather, such an assertion requires an assumption based solely on the fact that the guy speaking in the video is black. But what does that make the person who assumes I'm the racist?
chrisw10

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Snicker, snicker.

Dude, what's up with that URL? It's like a paragraph long.

Anyway, an editorial by some butt-hurt Republican doesn't really constitute a response to the original study. Opinions are like assholes, right?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:32 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Snicker, snicker.

Dude, what's up with that URL? It's like a paragraph long.

Anyway, an editorial by some butt-hurt Republican doesn't really constitute a response to the original study. Opinions are like assholes, right?

That is an insane URL... wow. I just copy/pasted it. I'm pretty sure I saw DNA code in there.

I just think those user-submitted articles that Yahoo does now are hilarious and came across that one.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am

Remember_Me wrote:I just think those user-submitted articles that Yahoo does now are hilarious and came across that one.

Yeah, and if anyone doubts that conservatives tend to be a little dense, reading a couple of pages of comments on just about any Yahoo article will put the question to rest.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 am

Igor wrote:In addition, as someone who has always scored very well on IQ tests, I question what they really measure.

It's not scored like golf, ya know.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Igor wrote:In addition, as someone who has always scored very well on IQ tests, I question what they really measure.

It's not scored like golf, ya know.

Heh. Cross-country running would have been at least a little funny.

Perhaps I should explain it more clearly - there are people that I would regularly out-score on IQ tests in school, who I feel were more intelligent than I was. (back in the day, they told each student their score - brilliant) I think IQ tests can measure the ability to think quickly under pressure. I don't believe they test the ability to think slowly and thoroughly, which is also a valuable commodity, and (IMO) just as indicative of intelligence.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

The stuff that is passed off as "science" these days!

Interesting that the "researcher" fails to realize that the study itself is biased by only looking at particular biases, not the nature of bias itself.

I'm pretty sure no wing of the political spectrum has a majority hold on bias.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:51 pm

The left needs to float one of these every few years to re-affirm to themselves that "they're good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like them".
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Dangerousman wrote:The stuff that is passed off as "science" these days!

Quantitative and qualitative averages of groups are usually how the social sciences measure data.
[from the article] the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

Dangerousman wrote:Interesting that the "researcher" fails to realize that the study itself is biased by only looking at particular biases, not the nature of bias itself.[my emphasis]

Ah, but they did address it, see quote above, and here are some guesses as to the nature of it (again from the article):
As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.
People with lower cognitive abilities also had less contact with people of other races.[again my emphasis]

And another possibly related "nature of the bias" and my fav part, mentioned earlier, maybe aligned with Igor's posts:
[from the article] Nonetheless, there is reason to believe that strict right-wing ideology might appeal to those who have trouble grasping the complexity of the world.

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble communicating with Meade and jasonx5 in other threads?

I'm also going to put it out there that it could have been a learned behavior and without gaining the knowledge to see the error in thinking, the racist behavior continues undaunted.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Something on this thread from the other side of the pond:
Liberal Constipation, by George Monbiot.
On both sides of the Atlantic, conservative strategists have discovered that there is no pool so shallow that several million people won’t drown in it. Whether they are promoting the idea that Barack Obama was not born in the US, that manmade climate change is an eco-fascist-communist-anarchist conspiracy or that the deficit results from the greed of the poor, they now appeal to the basest, stupidest impulses, and find that it does them no harm in the polls.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 am

More from the editorial:

But when I survey this wreckage I wonder who the real idiots are. Confronted with mass discontent, the once-progressive major parties, as Thomas Frank laments in his latest book Pity the Billionaire, triangulate and accommodate, hesitate and prevaricate, muzzled by what he calls “terminal niceness”(9). They fail to produce a coherent analysis of what has gone wrong and why, or to make an uncluttered case for social justice, redistribution and regulation. The conceptual stupidities of conservatism are matched by the strategic stupidities of liberalism.

I'm not sure that I buy this entirely. Certainly most conservatives wouldn't describe liberals as "terminally nice." At the top of the food chain, progressive politicians may fall into this trap but their actions are based on survival, continuing to get the funds they need to maintain their elected office. At the bottom of the food chain (where I reside) you won't find that sort of hesitation and triangulation. Venomous and vitriolic are more apt descriptions. No one has ever accused me of being "terminally nice."

I think you'll find the true problem encapsulated in this excerpt:

Don’t take my word for it. Listen to what two former Republican ideologues, David Frum and Mike Lofgren, have been saying. Frum warns that “conservatives have built a whole alternative knowledge system, with its own facts, its own history, its own laws of economics.”(6) The result is a “shift to ever more extreme, ever more fantasy-based ideology” which has “ominous real-world consequences for American society.”

What's missing here is exactly how conservatives have managed to infect a sizable portion of the population with not only misinformation but an entire worldview based upon misinformation. We can look to the obvious culprits like FoxNews and Rush Limbaugh, the pervasiveness of right-wing talking points throughout the media despite claims to the contrary, but a convincing messenger carries a convincing message and I think this is where Republicans win the war of words. Capitalizing upon the intolerant tendencies of people with low intelligence, Republicans have crafted an elaborate worldview that offers all of the necessary excuses and scapegoats to make conservatives feel good about thoughts and feelings they might otherwise suppress.

Bigotry, racial and otherwise, cruelty and greed are the cornerstones of modern conservative thought. Carefully crafted messages offer simplistic arguments that people of low intelligence can digest easily and repeat liberally. "I never got a job from a poor man." "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" "Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but every act of terrorism is committed by a Muslim." "Government doesn't create jobs, people create jobs."

The problem isn't that liberals are too nice, it's that our messages aren't as easily condensed. Explaining a consumption driven economy that relies upon a strong middle class requires more than a catchphrase. It requires both a speaker and listener who can think through the argument.

And therein lies our problem...
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines