MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

Igor wrote:I think IQ tests can measure the ability to think quickly under pressure. I don't believe they test the ability to think slowly and thoroughly, which is also a valuable commodity, and (IMO) just as indicative of intelligence.

IQ tests, as designed, are intended solely to root out people of below-average intelligence -- and we're talking only the bottom 5% or so of the entire population. Of course, folks can't resist applying them to the notion of high intelligence, but the truth is that the higher the score, the less that's being measured. This is very apparent if you take several different IQ tests as they will often emphasize different aspects of intelligence. I generally score very high if the emphasis is on reading and comprehension, but only average if the test is heavy on math. The point is that no matter which test I take, I will never fall into the bottom 5%. IQ tests are diagnostic tools designed to help identify people with mental handicaps; they were never intended to be a ranking system.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:55 pm

pjbogart wrote:Bigotry, racial and otherwise, cruelty and greed are the cornerstones of modern conservative thought. Carefully crafted messages offer simplistic arguments that people of low intelligence can digest easily and repeat liberally. "I never got a job from a poor man." "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" "Not every Muslim is a terrorist, but every act of terrorism is committed by a Muslim." "Government doesn't create jobs, people create jobs."

The problem isn't that liberals are too nice, it's that our messages aren't as easily condensed. Explaining a consumption driven economy that relies upon a strong middle class requires more than a catchphrase. It requires both a speaker and listener who can think through the argument.

And therein lies our problem...

I disagree - if you think the left doesn't have any catch phrases, you have never seen the ass end of a Volvo on the near west side. They will be undoubtedly plastered with them. The primary difference between the two is that conservative ones seem to be (rightly or wrongly) confident statements of something, while the liberal ones seem to be more on the snarky side. YMMV.

I don't think the problem lies only in the inability to condense complex ideas down to bumper stickers. Both sides are so beholden to particular interest groups so as to make compromise virtually impossible. Take immigration - clearly, nobody is going to deport millions of illegal immigrants. Also clearly, a policy that strictly restricts immigration from all over the world *except* Mexico is at best misguided. But here we sit, year after year, knowing nothing will happen.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Igor wrote:I disagree - if you think the left doesn't have any catch phrases, you have never seen the ass end of a Volvo on the near west side. They will be undoubtedly plastered with them. The primary difference between the two is that conservative ones seem to be (rightly or wrongly) confident statements of something, while the liberal ones seem to be more on the snarky side. YMMV.

What, like "Who Would Jesus Bomb?" I'm not talking about catchphrases that tend to show support for a political position like "Union Proud" or "I vote Pro-life." I'm talking about catchphrases that deliberately mislead people into believing things which are patently untrue.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm

pjbogart wrote:
Igor wrote:I disagree - if you think the left doesn't have any catch phrases, you have never seen the ass end of a Volvo on the near west side. They will be undoubtedly plastered with them. The primary difference between the two is that conservative ones seem to be (rightly or wrongly) confident statements of something, while the liberal ones seem to be more on the snarky side. YMMV.

What, like "Who Would Jesus Bomb?" I'm not talking about catchphrases that tend to show support for a political position like "Union Proud" or "I vote Pro-life." I'm talking about catchphrases that deliberately mislead people into believing things which are patently untrue.

"In 1776, Liberals Fought For Independence While Conservatives Wore Red Coats"
"UNIONS - QUALITY OF LIFE - FOR EVERYONE"
"DEMOCRATS Also Care About People AFTER They're Born"
"THE MEDIA ARE NOT LIBERAL - THEY ARE CORPORATE"
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:10 am

pjbogart wrote: I'm talking about catchphrases that deliberately mislead people into believing things which are patently untrue.

Like "conservatives want old people to eat cat food and die" or "Republicans want you to die quickly" (if you get sick)?

Give it a rest pj.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Like "conservatives want old people to eat cat food and die" or "Republicans want you to die quickly" (if you get sick)?

Support at GOP debate for letting the uninsured die
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Like "conservatives want old people to eat cat food and die" or "Republicans want you to die quickly" (if you get sick)?

Support at GOP debate for letting the uninsured die

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:38 am

I didn't claim that Democrats never use vitriolic accusations or opinions that you might find offensive. I clearly asserted that Republicans use clever catchphrases intended to convince people of things that are patently false.

"Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:30 pm

bdog wrote:I'd bet low IQ & Conservative beliefs are linked to military service too.

You'd lose that bet. Plenty of smart liberal dems in the military I know.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby DCB » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
pjbogart wrote: I'm talking about catchphrases that deliberately mislead people into believing things which are patently untrue.

Like "conservatives want old people to eat cat food and die" or "Republicans want you to die quickly" (if you get sick)?

Its funny because its true!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines