MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Lin-sanity!!!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Lin-sanity!!!

Postby pjbogart » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I couldn't sit through an NBA game to save my life. If the Milwaukee Bucks made it to the NBA finals, I still wouldn't watch. Is it the inflated egos? Overpaid players? Lack of effort until the playoffs? Lack of any real teamwork? The fact that the Bucks have sucked most of my life? I'm not sure, but I have no interest.

That said, this Jeremy Lin kid is a pretty interesting story. Undrafted free agent, bouncing around from team to team, including stints with two minor league teams, was a walk-on at Harvard and graduated with a degree in Economics, persisted in trying to play basketball despite the fact that he had great options that weren't a complete pipe-dream, he's been sleeping on his brother's and teammate's couches, signed by the New York Knicks after several injuries put them in desperation mode and Jeremy Lin basically proceeded to take over the NBA. Yeah, a 6'3" Taiwanese kid hung 38 points on Kobe Bryant a few nights ago. The Knicks have won 6 in a row after he nailed a 3 point buzzerbeater tonight with .5 seconds left on the clock.

What the fuck?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lin-sanity!!!

Postby bdog » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:17 am

Perhaps they are letting him score to generate some excitement in the NBA.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 am

Lin tends to point to the sky (actually to the ceiling of the arena he is playing in) after making a difficult shot. Tim Tebow redux.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 am

Basketball suffers from the same kind of entrenched, old-school, status quo scouting ethic that existed in baseball prior to Moneyball.

So a smart kid like Lin who understands defenses and the geometry of the game (critical for a point guard), but is maybe a late bloomer, is always going to be behind the prodigies in the pecking order. But Lin is also a product of the D-League, which allowed him to get a lot of playing time while others sat on the bench behind entitled NBA stars who track minutes. Without injuries, Lin wouldn't have cracked the lineup, but his immediate success is going to keep him there. Think of the players who give up a quick turnover or two when inserted, cold, in the third quarter on a team where the coach is barely holding on to his job.

By the way, all the players at Ivy schools are technically walk-ons, as they don't have athletic scholarships. But make no mistake, he was a star in that league, routinely scoring 20+.

And when are we going to stop demonizing the athletes who demonstrate their Christianity? Why is that inappropriate or deserving of scorn?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am

jjoyce wrote:And when are we going to stop demonizing the athletes who demonstrate their Christianity? Why is that inappropriate or deserving of scorn?

The inerrant word of God (the Bible) ridicules those who wear their religion on their sleeves. So take it up with Jesus.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am

jjoyce wrote:And when are we going to stop demonizing the athletes who demonstrate their Christianity? Why is that inappropriate or deserving of scorn?

If God gave them the ability to make a shot, hit a homerun, throw a touchdown pass, he also gave them the ability to miss a shot, strikeout, throw an interception. So I expect a finger point to the sky after EVERYTHING they do. Otherwise, no pointing allowed. Unless they only believe in God when good things happen...
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am

I'm okay with the god-bothering. I think it's kind of endearing - like Jesus gives a flyer that they just scored a bucket:

JC Superstar aka The Big Cheese wrote:That's great, kid; kudos for you. Kudos.

Now about this whole 'camel through a needle' thing - I see you just signed a big t-shirt contract with a slave labor factory in American Samoa. Let's talk about that for a second...

I think what it really reveals is the sad sack condition of the collective defensive cojones of today's NBA. Hell, Bill Laimbeer would already be wearing Lin's molars in his elbow.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cloudy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:Basketball suffers from the same kind of entrenched, old-school, status quo scouting ethic that existed in baseball prior to Moneyball.

What?? There are a couple of hundred non-American players in the NBA, unthinkable not long ago. Hardly old-school, status quo.

Does this really need an answer? Do you really think success on the court is related to God's will? Demonstrations of ego are not demonstrations of true religiosity of any kind. Do you not understand that these are also statements about everyone else in the game? Yes, these actions are totally deserving of scorn, as are any others that shout "I'm this, and you're not." The hell with Tim Tebow and his ilk.
cloudy
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Lin could end up being anywhere from the next Steve Nash to a flash in the pan. It is possible that his relative unknown status may be helping some. Obviously, the fact that he plays in New York helps his recognition, as well as the fact that the Knicks have stunk for so long. However, Brandon Jennings went from all star to solid pro pretty quickly. If I had to put money on it, I would say that he will be a solid backup point guard at the very least.

He is quick off the dribble, which is a big advantage. Nothing will make the big guys and slashing type players work harder than the knowledge that they will get the ball for an easy shot if Lin drives to the basket and draws defenders towards him. Rebounders also like following a driving player to vulture easy stats.

cloudy wrote:Does this really need an answer? Do you really think success on the court is related to God's will? Demonstrations of ego are not demonstrations of true religiosity of any kind. Do you not understand that these are also statements about everyone else in the game? Yes, these actions are totally deserving of scorn, as are any others that shout "I'm this, and you're not." The hell with Tim Tebow and his ilk.

Yes, that is the only possible explanation. They are saying that "God made that layup", or they are saying "you aren't as good as me". They aren't just indicating thanks for having the opportunity to play the game, or thinking of something bigger than themselves, or maybe offering a relatively sedate alternative to the players that thump their chest or have patented celebrations.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twinner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:34 pm

In a sport where most of the players didn't graduate if they went to college, I'm more impressed with his 3.1 gpa and a degree from Harvard than any 3-pointer he makes.
Twinner
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking