MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

West side party venue that allows BYOB?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

West side party venue that allows BYOB?

Postby Dairylander » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Throwing a party, need a venue.
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a place West of the capitol that allows us to carry in liquor and use our own caterer?
(60 to 80 guests)
If such a place does not exist, your suggestions of venues with a standard open bar option would also be appreciated.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Re: West side party venue that allows BYOB?

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 am

Check out the Knights of Columbus Hall on Verona Rd. Not quite as far out as The Bean used to be. I think it's just past Williamburg Way.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 am

Dairylander wrote:Throwing a party, need a venue.
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a place West of the capitol that allows us to carry in liquor and use our own caterer?
(60 to 80 guests)
If such a place does not exist, your suggestions of venues with a standard open bar option would also be appreciated.

Good call on the K of C hall that the previous poster mentioned. I can't off the top of my head think of too many other places in Madison that offer that option. When you get out of town, the options are probably more plentiful - if you follow MIneral Point Road out of town you get to a little hamlet after 6 or 7 miles. (I am drawing a blank on the name) It has a park that has some sort of town hall or indoor shelter that can be rented.

Otherwise, for standard bar service and catering you could try the West Side Club, which is behind Menards. Babe's also has a small room for that sort of thing. If you are looking for something very informal, several of the bowling alleys (Schwoegler's and Ten Pin at least) have banquet rooms.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Music Goddess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Actually, it is illegal for establishments to allow customers to bring in their own alcohol - regardless if they have an alcohol beverage license or not.

State law says that the license holder must have an invoice for all alcohol beverages that are on the premise. The establishment must be able to show that they purchased the alcohol beverage from a licensedwholesaler.

If an establishment doesn't have an alcohol beverage license, state law doesn't allow customers to bring their own alcohol beverages to the unlicensed premises. Some states allow this, so you may hear customers say “But, I’ve done it before in ____.” A restaurateur who allows the sale, storage or consumption of alcohol beverages on his premises without a license in Wisconsin may be fined and/or imprisoned.
Music Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Goddess, does that only if they are selling alcohol?

If a caterer brings the alcohol, they have a license for it.
We've done this at different churches and synagogues.
Not sure if it was "legal" but it is extremely common.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Music Goddess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I'd have to look into that - I know if you are going to a restaurant/bar, you cannot bring your own in whether the business has an alcohol beverage license or not. Good place to check is the Dept. of Revenue - they handle these issues. I can't remember how it works w/ catering company. I'll try to look into it and post back.
Music Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 pm

What about the recent controversy over the possibility of The Goodman Center getting a liquor license to prevent the problems they have reportedly experienced with alcohol at events there?
Seems they have allowed booze on premises. I'd be surprised if they were allowing it illegally.

At a December meeting of the ALRC, center executive director Becky Steinhoff explained that the license would be used only for special events such as wedding receptions and anniversary parties in the center's cafe and community rooms, where special events guests already may supply and serve their own booze.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... z1mad5ZU4L
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:24 pm

The distinction here is serving vs selling.

You do have to have your invoices on hand if you're selling. Protects the (once) very powerful distributor's lobby. That way, you don't go to Woodman's and buy a bunch of beer to sell in your bar.

Now, if you're giving the shit away for free at a wedding or a party, different story altogether....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe