MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Soup recipes

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Soup recipes

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:33 pm

peripat wrote:Perception is everything.

Agreed, peripat. Apply as one wishes, to whatever one wishes.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Tried the Dr. Zhivago Borscht from food52.com last weekend. Very good but needs a bit more acid, added a splash of cider vinegar. Polish coworker pronounced it delicious.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby Lily » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 pm

With the inevitable New Year resolutions for weight loss here's a very tasty soup recipe from Mayo Clinic for Pumpkin soup that is really very good. You won't believe it's healthy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health ... es/NU00424

My changes?

instead of fat-free milk add soy milk creamer. Cheapest at Target, even more so than any coffee creamer. Optional. Low-fat or skim milk works too.

i use finely diced red onion rather than green onion. You want a delicate onion flavor--this isn't Onion Soup.

Curry flavor is VERY good in this soup. In fact, a HOT curry is even better (or just some extra cayenne powder). Sweet curry from Penzy's is good too.

IF you are not a fan of curry, another extremely good replacement is Mrs. Dash's Original. Just a teaspoon full.

Enjoy forons. And have fun experimenting. Homemade soup is truly GOOD food. That with a slice of your own freshly baked bread and salad. Mmmmm. Stay warm!
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Here are a couple that have been popular around Chez Beenie of late:

Sausage and Spinach soup (customizable):

1lb mild Italian sausage (I'm a wuss, use hot if you want it)
4c chicken stock (whatever you have on hand - sometimes I use Better than Bouillon, must mostly homemade)
3 15oz cans butterbeans, drained
A few generous handfuls of baby spinach, torn or chopped
Fresh garlic (pressed or chopped, however much you'd like)
Spices (whatever you'd like)

Crumble and brown sausage, remove from pot. Briefly saute garlic and spices (I most recently used an Italian blend and some Lawry's), add chicken stock, bring to a boil. Add drained butterbeans, process with an immersion blender until as smooth as you'd like it. Add sausage back into the pot, then add spinach and tune it up with S&P, if needed. It's ready when the spinach is done to your liking.

Tilapia Bacon Corn Chowder

4 tilapia filets (thawed, if previously frozen)
2c chicken broth
1c half and half
2 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons
1 can Mexican blend corn (corn and peppers - regular corn would be fine, too)
Instant mashed potato flakes :oops:
Herbes de Provence
Fresh garlic to taste, pressed or chopped fine (I used one clove)
Salt
Pepper

Render bacon, remove. Briefly saute garlic, taking care not to burn. Add corn, herbs, chicken stock and half and half, bring to a simmer. Gradually add potato flakes, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, until desired thickness is reached. Stir bacon back in. Turn stove to low, carefully lay tilapia filets on top of thickened soup (they might sink a little), cover the pot and wait 10 minutes. Fish should be done, break it up and stir it into the soup.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:20 pm

I recently had a white bean and fennel soup in Kenosha that was outstanding. Creamy and beany, but probably no actual dairy in it.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm back in the spirit of stone soup. Jasonx5 can be the kimchi, and I'll be the cabbage.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Broadsheet wrote:I recently had a white bean and fennel soup in Kenosha that was outstanding. Creamy and beany, but probably no actual dairy in it.

Where in Kenosha? That's where I grew up.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 pm

At TG's.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:05 pm

Pulled out an old cookbook and made Paul Prudhomme's Corn and Andoullie soup this week.
http://www.labellecuisine.com/archives/ ... 20Soup.htm

(there's a recipe on his site, but it doesn't have the seasoning recipe as the cookbook did. If you have his "Meat Magic" seasoning, you can use the shorter recipe at: http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID ... 8&view=134)

The flavor was effing outstanding, but I prefer a partially blended soup. If you are like me, puree it a little with a stick blender before adding the andoullie back into the pot. I also added a little milk at the end to thin and smooth it up a bit.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Marek Freitag’s (aka Dad’s) French Onion Soup

Here is my dad’s recipe for French Onion soup. Apropos for the season, no?

Besides grilling, he made this soup, as well as pizza, from Scratch.

His favorite cheese to melt on top was Gruyère [not Gouda].

1/2 cup butter
5 cups thin sliced onions (trick: put them in the freezer approx 5 min before slicing and they won’t bring tears to your eyes)
3 cans condensed beef broth
3 cups H2O
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Accent (note: this is MSG, as a brand name, skip if you are sensitive to it, or just use a big pinch of salt:)
1 tsp white pepper
4 slices French bread (or another crusty white bread)
8 slices cheese

Melt butter in large sauce pan. Add onions and cook until tender. Add all other ingredients and cook. Add French bread and cheese right before serving (best in a crock). Put under broiler or microwave to melt cheese. Serves 4 or more!

Dedicated to Daddy, my friend Willy D, and Guy Fieri (a man who loves his ma, cooks steaks for his pa, and made pretzels as a kid and loves old cars like me and Danny with his Nash Rambly;)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 am

I found that to get real depth in onion soup you have to cook the onions in butter at a bare simmer for nearly an hour, stirring them constantly, to get them not just tender but caramelized. Then the soup takes another hour of slow cooking. It's not a quick recipe, but the results are fantastic.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:54 am

In truth, the best time to caramelize onions is yesterday.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/scoc ... lize_.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:00 am

Thank you, Broadsheet, for the correction on the time to carmelize the onions (I like to use Vidalia when they are in season). Thanks too, TheBookPolice, for the Slate link! I especially liked the idea of putting them in the slow cooker overnight. That's how I used to make steel cut oats (aka Irish oatmeal). Sorry for the topic detour on crock pots!

And I forgot to include this quote (relating above and below:)
If a lump of soot falls into the soup and you cannot conveniently get it out, stir it well in and it will give the soup a French taste.

-Jonathan Swift

Here's another soup recipe, my own creation. I typed it from memory, and I haven't made it since last year, so it could use some tweaking (maybe add garlic). It's also a low-cal, vegetarian version, but if you want extra fat or a meat flavor, by all means use double heavy cream and beef stock!

I prefer a variety of dried mushrooms, and your local Asian market has them much cheaper than the grocery store (usually found in the produce section). World Market also offers a nice variety that's reasonably priced. Also, I like to use baby bellas for the fresh mushroom component.

Amy’s Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
2 boxes vegetable stock
2 cups boiling water
1 can low-fat evaporated milk
1 package dried mushrooms
2 packages fresh mushrooms
4 carrots
4 celery stalks
1 onion
3 tbs olive oil
Spices: Salt & pepper to taste, plus parsley, thyme, rosemary

Boil the 2 cups of water and pour over the dried mushrooms. Allow to steep like tea for 20 min. After 20 min, drain mushrooms but reserve liquid to add to soup. Sauté diced onions, carrots, and celery for 3 to 5 minutes, add diced fresh mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes. Dice the rehydrated mushrooms and add to sautéed veggies. Add spices and sauté for 2 more minutes. Then add the 2 boxes of vegetable broth and the reserved mushroom “tea,” being careful not to add any dirt (or silt) at the bottom of the liquid. It can be strained with cheese cloth if desired. Bring to a low boil until heated, then reduce heat and add low-fat evaporated milk. Warm and serve.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 pm

That mushroom soup sounds amazing. I've been loving fat free evaporated milk lately for lowering the fat content without sacrificing creaminess. Used it in Martha Stewart's mac & cheese recipe recently and it was awesome.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Thank you, Kimm, and I appreciate the validation of fat free evap milk! It's a great ingredient for low-cal cooking.

Wild rice or a mixture of rices is also a great addition to the soup.

It's a very filling soup! I would love to hear other tweaks and recommendations!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues