MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Favorite bad movie?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Favorite bad movie?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 pm

I was kind of fascinated by The Bonfire of the Vanities, but I may be the only one.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 am

I, too, enjoy Bonfire.

bdog mentioned Waterworld. I'll go with The Postman.

Henry, I'd argue that Crossroads doesn't qualify as *bad*. Now if we're talking about the Britney version, then sure, but how could anyone? It's mere existence pisses me off because I'll check the program info every time to make sure I'm not flipping past the Macchio version.

Do John Carpenter movies qualify for this thread?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 am

Depends on whether they're bad. Prince of Darkness is a bad John Carpenter movie.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:Prince of Darkness is a bad John Carpenter movie.

Yes. Yes, it is. Deliciously, hilariously, disturbingly bad.

When I mentioned this thread to my roommate, he immediately suggested Over The Edge, which led to a very long argument from me about how that movie is not bad at all, but actually quite excellent. He remains unconvinced.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:27 am

I adore Over the Edge and think it's a good movie. I love the giant photographs in the lunchroom. *SPOILERS* There's a distinct shift in tone in the last reel or two, as the apocalypse sets in. It gets very stylized. But I embrace this. It's like opera.

Jonathan Kaplan went on to direct The Accused, on the strength of which Jodie Foster won an Oscar. It's likewise stylized and apocalyptic, and compelling. And a key piece of legal evidence is provided by the high score initials on an arcade game. A cinema first? And last?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:17 pm

My favorite movie mentioned on this thread is Roadhouse, but I bristle at the idea that it is a "bad movie" I also love Howard the Duck, and all those great Thomas Dolby songs.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Tank, starring C. Thomas Howell and James Garner, is still mentioned at family gatherings as the gold standard for garbage.

http://youtu.be/AH_9tcthmeI
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Oh, man – where to start?

Megaforce is pretty awesome. And by awesome, I mean mind-bogglingly terrible.

Likewise Johnny Mnemonic. I also enjoyed Constantine much more than it deserved – which is odd, given that I hated, hated Point Break. So it’s not the Keanu factor alone; indeed, I liked those movies despite the dire thespian ineptitude of Mr. Reeves.

From the Z-movie pile: I’ve seen most of the obvious selections, and while I will always have a soft spot in what passes for my heart for Plan Nine from Outer Space, I think I prefer The Beast from Yucca Flats; its combination of utter technical incompetence and turgidly pretentious voice-over narration makes it suck in the most delicious way.

Somewhere I should mention Tango and Cash. Holy crap was that bad – but good! The part where Kurt Russell drops his soap in the shower and Sly Stallone freaks out? Homosexual panic always equals comedy gold!

That Chronicles of Riddick movie was totes terrible, but I loved it when the one guy said (with a straight face, natch), "I will always be a Necromonger Commander!"

That's great, Necromonger dude. Don't stop believing.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I always laugh at Saving Sliverman. And Amanda Peet is hotter than Dutch love in this movie.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Tank Girl with Lori Petty and Naomi Watts. Ice-T is ridiculous in man/dog makeup. I have a feeling he shudders every time he thinks about it.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Ice-T is ridiculous in man/dog makeup. I have a feeling he shudders every time he thinks about it.

Let's add Toys and fellow Ice-Themed rapper Ice Cube to this thread.

Edit: D'oh! That was LL! Not Cube.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

If we want to go back to the 80s, the selection is practically limitless. But, "Just One of the Guys" stands out for me. "Joyce Hyser" had her one shining moment in this flick and she made the best of it.

In a line made famous in Seinfeld a decade later, they were real and they were spectactuar.

Last edited by Ned Flanders on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm

A lot of the movies listed here I'd put in the 'quality' category (John Carpenter ... bad in general? Really???).

Tango & Cash is pretty bad, but pretty enjoyable. In that vague vicinity is Dead Bang, with Don Johnson. The scene where he's hung over, chases down a criminal and then barfs on him is GOLD.

A truly bad movie that I truly love is From Hell it Came. Must be seen to be believed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050414
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I'll admit to watching 15 minutes of Roadhouse nearly every time I find it, mainly in anticipation for one of the many incredible lines.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:02 pm

minicat wrote:John Carpenter ... bad in general?
Certainly not (at least through the '80s) but c'mon, Prince Of Darkness is bad. Intentionally so, I believe, which is why it's so much fun. But it's a pretty slapdash affair with a ridiculous script, which I imagine Carpenter spent an entire lunchtime working on.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Movies