MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

East Washington..... anything coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:33 pm

Apropos of which:

I uploaded a few more model bits to Google Earth last week: check out the 1100 and 1300 block of E. Wash models in addition to the 1200 block I did earlier. (Fyfe's is still in the works because I'm photoshopping the historical face onto the model.) If they don't show up in your Google Earth automatically (check Model Buildings in the left side bar) then go to 3D Warehouse (google for it), put Madison WI into the search box, and you'll get links on the E Wash models that will cause them to appear on your Google Earth once clicked. I'm trying to give the public a place to model proposed buildings in correct scale so we can see how they look with existing stuff, because Mullins or no Mullins, development IS coming and we need to make good choices.

Making the models is slow and I haven't got as much time as I'd like so other contributors are encouraged to jump in. Pick a block and have at it. Download a free version of SketchUp, it's the modeling program Google Earth accepts.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby flipmode » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 am

snoqueen wrote:I think I was at that same meeting. Brad Mullins, who sat through the entire long sequence of BUILD meetings, participated very little except for occasions when it looked someone was going to propose limitations on what the family could do with their properties. They he'd let loose with a tirade on how his family would look very dimly on any restrictions to their royal sovereignty. Somewhat to my amazement, the entire committee treated him with kid gloves, rolled over and let him have pretty much anything he asked. It would be worse, but since their company has done virtually nothing with their properties for decades I don't think we've got a lot to worry about.

I was at that meeting too. I'm not a fan of the Mullins buy it and sit approach to property ownership. I seem to remember Mr. Mullins talk a little differently, slightly less dramatic - he wasn't carried to the podium by a dozen of his serfs. He had his time to speak, which was obviously focused on protecting his family's interests. He answered questions after he spoke, but was asked to answer questions again later by someone on the council, can't remember which member.

I think everyone involved with the BUILD meetings seemed frustrated that the outcome was not resolved. Regardless of their politics, "It is hard to move forward without a plan" seemed to be the general sentiment. I think everyone from the neighborhood and on the BUILD committee wants to attract quality redevelopment, but knows it will be a challenge without a plan.
flipmode

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Well, serfs or no serfs, we've got a family business owning a pretty big chunk of property in a critical location and refusing (or declining) to participate in a manner that shows awareness or concern for any overall vision or interests beyond their own.

Still, development will happen on the corridor. It'll be piecemeal instead of centrally coordinated, but that doesn't doom the results. Without a functional, widely accepted overall plan it's up to 1) developers to come in with good plans; and 2) neighborhoods, individual citizens, alders, and committees to exercise creativity and, maybe, a bit of daring.

What I DON'T want to see is a lot of faux-retro projects like we see now around the corner of Blair and Mifflin. Enough of that is enough.

I DO like the little new mixed use project on Livingston right by the bike path (across and down from the MG&E coalyard), with its pink brick and sheet metal sections. It acknowledges both the building immediately south (itself not too awful) and the sheet-metal theme started over on Paterson, while refusing to give an inch to the push to keep copying existing 1890 styles. Loses points on landscaping, which is nonexistent, however.

You can't legislate taste, but you can discuss it and raise expectations. BUILD may have rolled over for Mullins, but I was more than once pleased and surprised by some of the ideas individual committee members articulated, even those who claimed to have no design acumen at all.

And yes, it was frustrating to have all those hours of work (and all that expense, consultants etc.) go into limbo after the committee did its job.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Eastsider » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:07 pm

snoqueen wrote:Apropos of which:

I uploaded a few more model bits to Google Earth last week: check out the 1100 and 1300 block of E. Wash models in addition to the 1200 block I did earlier. (Fyfe's is still in the works because I'm photoshopping the historical face onto the model.) If they don't show up in your Google Earth automatically (check Model Buildings in the left side bar) then go to 3D Warehouse (google for it), put Madison WI into the search box, and you'll get links on the E Wash models that will cause them to appear on your Google Earth once clicked. I'm trying to give the public a place to model proposed buildings in correct scale so we can see how they look with existing stuff, because Mullins or no Mullins, development IS coming and we need to make good choices.

Making the models is slow and I haven't got as much time as I'd like so other contributors are encouraged to jump in. Pick a block and have at it. Download a free version of SketchUp, it's the modeling program Google Earth accepts.

Wow! that's awesome. You've got everything there , except the graffiti.
Eastsider
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:00 am

And I put the old yellow and blue sign on the side of Scooter Therapy, only to find out a couple days later it's gone and they're gone.

There are a LOT of empty bldgs down there (not just Mullins properties), and that is Not Good.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

Marling lumber's sign says they're staying.

Because no one would buy their property. Because no one can build over three or four stories.

At least it won't be another empty property.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 am

THey should be able to build over 4 stories out by Marling. If not, then this city is seriously fucked. No wonder housing costs so much.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East Washington..... anything coming?

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 am

Lots of changes since this thread was last visited. This one in this mornings news.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... ac4a4.html

I think the Metcalfe plan would be huge for the east side and I don't think it would hurt the Co-op that much, as some will probably predict.

Shopbop has brought vitality to the Baldwin st. intersection.

Nothing down on my end however, at Union Corners. I read or heard somewhere that Soglin was going to push for Spectrum to relocate there. Maybe it was just talk but wouldn't that be a weird full-circle thing.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Metcalfe's on the 800 block of E Wash would be freaking awesome for me. Which ought to be reason enough for the city to favor it over the ULI plan.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Talking with people from my old 'hood, I get the sense the coop shoppers are a different group from those who'd like a traditional grocery store like Metcalfe's. I think the two stores can coexist just fine. Mostly I think the new store would draw people who now make a weekly or monthly trip to Woodman's or Aldi.

I thought the idea of a green roof building with a little "farm" on top was cool, though you'd have to up up high enough to get good air quality or all your rosemary would taste like bus exhaust.

I'm excited and pleased to see all these proposals for our little near-east side "dead zone." It won't be dead for long.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dipper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:37 pm

There's no way in hell that co-op shoppers will patronize those Walker-loving Metcalfes for even one gumball. How much money are they going to give the GOP this year? (Not a rhetorical question). I hope they don't come hat in hand begging favors from the City of Madison. Real Republicans don't ask for government help, unless they're total hypocrites. Fuck them.
Dipper
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:03 pm

snoqueen wrote: Mostly I think the new store would draw people who now make a weekly or monthly trip to Woodman's or Aldi.

Metcalfe's prides itself on service and their customers pay the price. Woodman's and Aldi pride themselves on being low cost but with no frills.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:I get the sense the coop shoppers are a different group from those who'd like a traditional grocery store like Metcalfe's.

Dipper wrote:There's no way in hell that co-op shoppers will patronize those Walker-loving Metcalfes for even one gumball.

I've been a Willy St member for 15 years or so, and I regularly shop at both the co-op and Metcalfe's.

I stayed away from Metcalfe's for almost a year after the election, but quality, 24-hour convenience, and a well-marked selection of local & regional products brought me back.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

The 800 block drama continues.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

Something I've heard that doesn't get much press is that the ULI proposals are on a multi-year timeframe and the land could sit empty for quite awhile longer. The Metcalfes appear ready to jump in as soon as possible. The 700 block project hopes to start within months.

This quote from Soglin (from the article) confuses me:

“For 150 years Madison has been either the East Side or the West Side, where the West Side has been hospitals and the university and the East Side has been Oscar Mayer and manufacturing. ... If we go with the Metcalfe proposal, we lose this opportunity, which could have a century impact on our city,” he said.

Anyone know what he's talking about?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am

My guess is he's referring to the chance for more "knowledge worker" jobs on the east side.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe