MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, 'kay?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Brenda Konkel would like y'all to use your real names, '

Postby swimmingupstream » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

It is quite telling that Brenda did not engage Snoqueen or any other commenters who made good points (done so civilly) in these six pages of comments. It gives you a big hint of what Brenda's real agenda is. Hint: It is not promoting civil discourse.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:44 pm

It may not have sounded like it before, but basically I like Brenda. I respect that she puts herself out there. Where we part company is that I do not respect her judgement. Someone with good judgement would have had the good sense to not become the poster child for the right of homeless people to urinate wherever and whenever they felt like it.

This "issue" comes across as more of the same. Someone who has better judgement would rethink the issue and apologize for making a big deal about it. Brenda...really, read the whole thread again and give some serious thought about what you say next.

I started out anonymous because I was a non-represented state worker. Not in any way immune to reprisal. So people like me are to have no voice in Brenda's world? Get real.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:05 pm

gargantua wrote:I started out anonymous because I was a non-represented state worker. Not in any way immune to reprisal. So people like me are to have no voice in Brenda's world? Get real.
And where else could one go to speak with authority of a satirical giant?

I think you're right about both the issue of judgement and the merits of intent.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 pm

So even though this thread is worthy of something on /b/ or r/circlejerk I'm going to put in a couple cents here...

When the protests happened last year I opened up my twitter account as "public" in order to better communicate with fellow #wiunion protestors. Now, @danmotor isn't exactly anonymous in my circles, but to the general population following the shitstorm in Wisconsin I thought I was pretty safe.

Unfortunately some Tea-party slack-jaws went out of their way to track me down. They then took it a step further and discussed on their Meetup page (which I was able to get access to by pretending to be a tea-billy from Beaver-Dam) exactly how they were going to "take me out." Fun Right?

Well low and behold, they fucked up when trying to get through the Dan Motor Firewall. I was tied to a family (with my actual last name) that was from a town I'm not associated with. I'm not sure if they ever pestered that family --and I hope not, but at least it wasn't mine.

So the moral of the story is, don't use your fucking real name on the Internet. It's fucking retarded to think otherwise. I like Brenda's posts and updates even though I don't usually agree with them. But for shit's sake....Brenda, I'm pretty sure this isn't your first day online AOL or otherwise, so jesus! Quit acting like it is!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:When the protests happened last year I opened up my twitter account as "public" in order to better communicate with fellow #wiunion protestors.
For what it's worth, I got some useful updates from you when there seemed to be no meaningful information via conventional channels.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:40 pm

fennel wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:When the protests happened last year I opened up my twitter account as "public" in order to better communicate with fellow #wiunion protestors.
For what it's worth, I got some useful updates from you when there seemed to be no meaningful information via conventional channels.

Hey, well good. I got a lot out of it as well, but man, trying to decipher fact from fiction when everything was full swing was another full time job.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Brenda is taking an interesting strategy in all of this:

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2012/03/t ... lity/14448

Kind of a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do (sorry I was crass to prove a point) situation.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 pm

I get a feeling Brenda enjoyed posting here again.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:47 am

jjoyce wrote:Brenda is taking an interesting strategy in all of this:

http://www.forwardlookout.com/2012/03/t ... lity/14448

Kind of a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do (sorry I was crass to prove a point) situation.

Good example of the level of civility on Brenda's forum:

Sherps Stein

hey joyce. you are, in fact, an asshole.

3 hours ago
in reply to Jason Joyce

Sherps Stein - real name ???
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 am

A friend just recommended this book:

Quiet...The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

From the book:

It makes sense that so many introverts hide even from themselves. We live with a value system that I call the Extrovert Ideal — the omnipresent belief that the ideal self is gregarious, alpha, and comfortable in the spotlight. The archetypal extrovert prefers action to contemplation, risk- taking to heed-taking, certainty to doubt. He favors quick decisions, even at the risk of being wrong. She works well in teams and socializes in groups. We like to think that we value individuality, but all too often we admire one type of individual — the kind who's comfortable "putting himself out there."

In terms of this discussion it's interesting that the people who scream loudest to crush anonymity (Brenda, Stu) are the biggest "look at me" extroverts (and ego driven, IMHO).

Neither one of them would be able to post anonymously for very long. it would kill 'em.

And that's fine. But please recognize we're not all like that.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 am

I spent a little time trying to find the worst thing said about Brenda on these boards. Comparing her to a scorned mistress was all I could find.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong, but she has simply not been defamed here. And if she has, the post has been short-lived.

Now we have proof that she wouldn't do the same on her own site. She actually has laxer commenting standards than we have on this board, it seems. She continues to allege that this board is "nasty" and that the comments made about people here keep "good people" from running for office or otherwise stepping up to perform community service.

That's quite an accusation. Now prove it. So far, all that has been shown is that a small number of people who have been repeatedly thrown off this board are still pissed about it and she's happy to piggyback on that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am

Shame, shame, shame on you. Time to ban yourself, Jason. Saying Brenda is going "to piggyback on that" is as bad as saying there is a chink in Jeremy Lin's armor. And I plan on licking nobodies armpits, waxed or au natural. Sorry Mom.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby radboy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 am

Phil wrote:So you all can just "lick my armpits!"

For the sake of accuracy Brenda Konkel actually said at a city council meeting that the "Mayor can lick my hairy armpits."

...and yes, it is too funny that Brenda (along with her friends Tom Powell and Mr. Blues) is fashioning herself as the champion of civility. Some people's egos keep them from having any sense of self knowledge...
radboy
Forum Addict

Postby Brenda Konkel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 pm

radboy wrote:
Phil wrote:So you all can just "lick my armpits!"

For the sake of accuracy Brenda Konkel actually said at a city council meeting that the "Mayor can lick my hairy armpits."

Ohmigod, no I didn't. I said it to Zach Brandon in private and it may have been overheard by a person working in IT and Lisa Veldran from the council office. Zach told Melanie Conklin who was working at the State Journal at the time (just got done working for the mayor who by then hated me) and apparently she and her editors thought it newsworthy and it ended up in the paper.

And, to complete the story, the phrase is one I used often in college - and it just slipped out in a moment of frustration, in private - which I also told Melanie.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:Ohmigod, no I didn't. I said it to Zach Brandon in private and it may have been overheard by a person working in IT and Lisa Veldran from the council office. Zach told Melanie Conklin who was working at the State Journal at the time (just got done working for the mayor who by then hated me) and apparently she and her editors thought it newsworthy and it ended up in the paper.

And, to complete the story, the phrase is one I used often in college - and it just slipped out in a moment of frustration, in private - which I also told Melanie.

Well at least you didn't say it anonymously - that would have been too nasty!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com